Which Signal Analyzer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Signal Analyzer?

Help me pick which one to get. They both seem to do the same; with the AT004 being able to send commands also.

AT004?
    http://www.smarthome.com/2200att.html

or
    Smarthome 4814?
    http://www.smarthome.com/4814.html

Between the two I like the

Smarthome 4814

But for the value most go with this one from Elk. As it does alot for the money.

http://tech-home.com/store/index.php...3&item=1173137

Comment

I use the 4814 and have been very happy with it. I've not used the AT004 so I can't compare.
      Best regards,
      -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
      Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

I'm leaning toward the AT004 because I can send commands with it. With all the buttons, it just looks like a more complete module.

Comment

So that's a couple of positive responses for the 4814. Wondering if anybody has tried the AT004? I agree that xmit capability could come in handy, plus ACT seems to make good products such as the TI103 X10 I/F.

Here's the AT004 manual:
          http://www.act-solutions.com/pdfs/PC...t004_instr.pdf

Don

Comment

i use the Smarthome 4814 BUT i have read that not only can you transmit from the other one but you can set it to transmit at varous voltage levels to simulate prro conditions, I will be getting one soon to try out.
            detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

I think I'm going w/ the AT004. I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks all. And if anyone is using the AT004, please post your opinions of the device.

Comment

Hi hope I'm not too late, found these gadgets for monitoring X10 signals
                http://www.elkproducts.com/products/esm1.htm
                http://www.angelfire.com/biz/valkyriesys/index.html

Good luck

Comment

toscal,

Thanks for the information. I think I'm going w/ the AT004. I like the idea I can send commands out. Also, I just spoke with Smarthome sales and tech support, they reported that most of their techs use the AT004.

Comment

Ok, the AT004 came in. Couldn't wait to plug it in and see the data. I've not done much with it; however, I've notided different noise levels in two adjacent rooms.

One issue I have with this device, and it's been reported by other types of these analyzers is the lack of documentation to explain what you are looking for, what is acceptable noice levels, etc.

Now that I have this wonderful tool, does anyone have any links that would help use it Something that would say ..."100 mv is an eceptable noise" etc.

One more thing about this device, when I opened up the box the LCD panel was disconnected from the top case. I had to open it up and put in some better tape to hold the panel. Other than that, it looks solidly built.

Comment

wglong,

Where did you purchase the AT004? I'm very happy with the service I've received from Martin at AutomatedOutlet.com, but I don't see this product listed on his web page. The best price I've found so far is from http://www.homeautomationnet.com/sho...exd.asp?id=214 but I have no experience with this vendor. Has anybody ordered from them?

Thx,
                      Don

Comment

I purchased mine from smarthome; however, I'm setup as a dealer there. Your link is the best I've seen retail, but I've not purchased from that vendor either. BTW, smarthome's dealer price is $239.

Comment

Originally posted by wglong
                          . . . what is acceptable noise levels, etc.
                          This is a really good question. My best answer would be "I dunno".

It depends on a number of criteria, two of which are X10 signal strength and device sensitivity. As far as signal strength, I like the signal-to-noise ratio to be at least 4 to 1 (6dB). This is nothing more than a gut-feel. If you have 100 millivolts of noise, I would want at least a half volt of signal. Something strong enough not to get lost in the noise.

But device sensitivity may be more important. If you have a device turning itself on or off at random, you probably have too much noise, at least for that device. The noise sensitivity of devices from different manufacturers vary greatly. An acceptable noise level to an X-10 appliance module may not be acceptable to a LampLinc.

The best use of the meter's noise-level reading is to allow you to trace the source of noise.

Comment

Originally posted by rocco
                            The best use of the meter's noise-level reading is to allow you to trace the source of noise.
                            and how would I do that? Keep moving the meter and find the circuit that has the most noise? I did notice that there is almost a 100mv noise difference in my office compared to my bathroom. But how would you actually track down the offender?

BTW, is there any spellcheck in this editor? I can hardly spell HS

Comment

Originally posted by wglong
                              and how would I do that? . . . how would you actually track down the offender?
                              I do it two ways. The first is the method you mentioned: move from outlet to outlet, trying to determine where the noise is strongest. But the second method works best for me: Plug the meter in where the noise is strong, and then unplug different things until you see the noise level drop.

BTW, is there any spellcheck in this editor? I can hardly spell HS
                              I've been complaining that IEspell does not work in the normal reply box. It does work in the quick-reply box. But then again, I enjoy complaining.

Comment

Working...
                              X