Convert RF Ceiling Fan to Z-Wave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Convert RF Ceiling Fan to Z-Wave

I have Hunter Douglas ceiling fans that work with RF. I can control them more or less ok with an RFXCom and the corresponding plugin. However, I would like to have the two way communication offered via z-wave, i.e. I get the current status back into HS. Has somebody converted their RF ceiling fans to z-wave including remote?

I bought a Bond and got the AK Bond plugin. I has an HSM-200 and can you multi-taps to locally control the fan.
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
    Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
    weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

I have one of these that I'm going to install.
      THIS ONE

Haven't installed it yet but the plan it to wire the fan directly to one relay in the module and the light to the other portion of the module. (It has 2 Z-Wave relays)
      Dan-O
      HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

wpiman I think the Bond still limits you do one-way communication, doesn't it?
        Dan-O This is interesting but I think it only allows on/off. You could not control fan speed with this, can you?

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
          Confirmed - I am using this and Bond is only one-way communication. I keep the original Hunter fan RF remote handy just in case AKBond becomes out of sync with HS4 (it happens occasionally).

Comment

Dan-O This is interesting but I think it only allows on/off. You could not control fan speed with this, can you?
            You are correct. The other option is to purchase a Z-Wave fan wall switch.
            I use the chain if I want to change speeds (I rarely do)
            Dan-O
            HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

It is one way, but since Homeseer controls it totally, it knows the status. I suppose you could have events repeat messages if it isn't reliable for you...

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post

It is one way, but since Homeseer controls it totally, it knows the status. I suppose you could have events repeat messages if it isn't reliable for you...
                Well, somebody might also use the remote and then HS won't know.

Comment

And occasionally the Bond unit, mine at least, sends an RF signal that doesn't seem to be recognized by the fan. Now HS thinks the fan is on and, boom, out of sync.

Thus the reason I keep the remote nearby.

It's not a perfect system.

Comment

That is why I pulled the batteries from mine and hid it.

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

Working...
                    X