TTS Voice Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TTS Voice Issue

I know this has to be something I am doing wrong but I can't figure it out.

I have enabled all Microsoft TTS voices.

I have created an event to test the voices and while the event works and a TTS is made the voices are not correct.

If I use (no closing tag)

<voice required='Name=Microsoft Zira Desktop'>this is Zira

It works fine and uses the Zira voice.

But if I add the closing tag and try this
    <voice required='Name=Microsoft Zira Desktop'>this is Zira</voice>

The announcement is made, but not in Zira's voice (its using David's voice).

Buuuuuutttt....... It gets a little weirder when I tried troubleshooting.

If I use

The first announcement uses David's voice while the second uses Zira's voice.

And it seems it only applies to the first voice. So if I do this
    <voice required='Name=Microsoft Mark'>this is Mark</voice>
    <voice required='Name=Microsoft Hazel Desktop'>this is Hazel</voice>
    <voice required='Name=Microsoft David Desktop'>this is David</voice>
    <voice required='Name=Microsoft Catherine'>this is Catherine</voice>
    <voice required='Name=Microsoft James'>this is James</voice>
    <voice required='Name=Microsoft Richard'>this is Richard</voice>

The first voice uses David, but all others are correct.

Troubleshooting further I found out that while using this does not use the correct voice

Using this DOES use the correct voice.
    <voice required='Name=Microsoft Zira Desktop'><voice required='Name=Microsoft Zira Desktop'>this isn't Zira</voice></voice>
    uses Zira's voice

I'm sure its something simple that I am doing wrong, but what could it be?

Are you testing this with the Sonos PI? if you do, I had to write additional code (quite a while ago) to find these tags in the text and looking at your example, just assumed it was in a simple syntax, not multiple etc.

Comment

Originally posted by dcorsus View Post
      Are you testing this with the Sonos PI? if you do, I had to write additional code (quite a while ago) to find these tags in the text and looking at your example, just assumed it was in a simple syntax, not multiple etc.
      Thanks for the reply and yes! I am.

Comment

sifuhall What voice do you have selected in windows 10 as the default voice? Go to Settings, Time and Language, Speech. Select Zira as the default. Try your command again starting with zira.

Comment

I currently have Microsoft Hazel selected as default

Comment

Originally posted by sifuhall View Post
            I currently have Microsoft Hazel selected as default
            Hmm, if you change the first line from Zira to Hazel does it speak with Hazel and then goes to Zira and so forth? Just curious.

Something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by sifuhall View Post

Thanks for the reply and yes! I am.
              That would unfortunately explain some of the weird behavior. So in a nutshell, the PI seeks a voice tag, only looks for one, not multiples and not very soffisticated either. So if it finds one, it passes the information to the Text - to Speech .. FILE application. If it doesn't the app will use the default setting, which on Windows would be your selected voice, on Linux, I'm sure it is in one of those config files, just have no idea which one.
              Hope that helps to clarify why some of your results are strange but if you put one tag, like cowinger suggested AND make sure the voices are 32 bit voices, you should be able to test.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post

Hmm, if you change the first line from Zira to Hazel does it speak with Hazel and then goes to Zira and so forth? Just curious.

Something like this.

It still uses the David voice for the first, but the correct voices for all the rest.

As a work around (if anyone else encounters this) this uses all the voices correctly

<voice required='Name=Microsoft Hazel Desktop'><voice required='Name=Microsoft Hazel Desktop'>this is Hazel</voice></voice>

Comment

As indicated HS uses the 32bir voices, so note the last post in this thread.

https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...ction-from-hs3

Comment

So it looks like the difference would be:

Before...<voice required='Name=Microsoft David Desktop'>this is David</voice>

After..."<voice required="name = Microsoft David Desktop">this is david

Good ole Randy

This has been educational. Thanks all.

Comment

FYI, you should not be using the </voice> tag and will cause incorrect operation.

The correct syntax for SAPI tags is as follows (note the end slash): <voice required="name = Microsoft David Desktop" />
                      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                        FYI, you should not be using the </voice> tag and will cause incorrect operation.

The correct syntax for SAPI tags is as follows (note the end slash): <voice required="name = Microsoft David Desktop" />
                        Jon00, what does the / do exactly. Just curious. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post

Confirmed this resolved the issue.

Comment

Working...
                          X