My Wife's Birthday Wish - A Working HS System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Wife's Birthday Wish - A Working HS System

About half a year ago HS erased pretty much my entire system, all z-wave devices gone, all events gone, etc. I wasn't going to rebuild things from scratch until the 700 series z-wave solution was out. I have the new stick since a couple of months but it's my understanding there is still some major z-wave database update outstanding. Maybe I am wrong about this. In any case, my wife's biggest birthday wish was that I get the home automation system working again (it kind of works but is limited to an old backup which misses a lot of new stuff I added). Are you aware of any concern about restarting everything at this point with HS4? Note that almost all of my devices use z-wave so that is the biggest concern. I also have a bunch of plugins incl. Arduino, RFX, weather, Chamberlain, and many more.

If you do automated full daily backups, system loss shouldn't be a big concern. I've had a few events where I would have really been screwed without those backups.

Comment

I do daily backups but my backup program doesn't allow me to backup the program files folder which is where HS has all the data.

Comment

I use the BLBackup plug-in to perform daily back ups. They're saved to another computer on my network, then from there, that folder gets backed up to another hard drive and to OneDrive as well. Multiple backups saved for 30 days just in case something gets corrupted, that way I can go further back once corruption is discovered.

I put all my HSTouch projects and graphics files in the HS4 folder as well to make sure those get backup up with everything else.

Been using HS3/Hs4 for only 2.5 years and I primarily use Z-wave devices, along with a handful of wi-fi devices as well. For the most part, the Z-wave devices have been rock-solid aside from an occasional bad node that slowed things down.

My backup scheme is actually because of posts like yours - so thank you for sharing your experience!

Comment

I just backup the entire VM that Homeseer runs on...
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
          Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
          weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
            I do daily backups but my backup program doesn't allow me to backup the program files folder which is where HS has all the data.
            Like jgreenberg01, I also use BLBackup. It's free, it doesn't interrupt HS, and it backs it all up while it is running, on a schedule.

Comment

Working...
            X