Homeseer system advice for new home build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homeseer system advice for new home build

We are nearing the end of a home build on an acerage with two buildings that will be connected on the same network via fiber. The buildings are about 100 ft apart.

In our previous home we had many lights and sensors managed by smarthings, but due to performance issues we decided to start over at our new site.

After much research, homeseer seems to be one of the best options for our site. What I am looking for is the best hardware setup to control the home (1 controller vs 2; what controllers).

Relevant details:
    • 20 +/- smart switches
    • ecobee thermostat
    • 10 ikea fyrtur blinds
    • ubiquiti networking and security cameras
    • aeon power monitors
    • various other sensors and more added in the fut https://9apps.ooo/ ure I am sure

Any advice would be appreciated. I have learned a lot scouring forums, but was curious if anyone had specific advice on how to do the most cost effective yet quality setup with two buildings.

For smart switches, make sure your electrician runs a neutral wire to all switch boxes.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Audio Matrices = https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-A...4393299&sr=8-8 VS https://www.pulse-eight.com/c/74

Eman.
      TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by SituFangs View Post
        We are nearing the end of a home build on an acerage with two buildings that will be connected on the same network via fiber. The buildings are about 100 ft apart.
        • 20 +/- smart switches
        • ecobee thermostat

Any advice would be appreciated. I have learned a lot scouring forums, but was curious if anyone had specific advice on how to do the most cost effective yet quality setup with two buildings.
        How is electrical power managed? One feed to sub-panels or two independent feeds?
        I assume there will be multiple thermostats?

Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Originally posted by SituFangs View Post

In our previous home we had many lights and sensors managed by smarthings, but due to performance issues we decided to start over at our new site.

After much research, homeseer seems to be one of the best options for our site. What I am looking for is the best hardware setup to control the home (1 controller vs 2; what controllers).

Relevant details:
          • 20 +/- smart switches
          • ecobee thermostat
          • 10 ikea fyrtur blinds
          • ubiquiti networking and security cameras
          • aeon power monitors
          • various other sensors and more added in the fut auto clicker for mac ure I am sure

The HomeSeer server/controller software can run on almost any kind of computer. I use an older Windows laptop, since it is (relatively) low power and has built-in battery backup. A Raspberry Pi is also a solid choice. To actually communicate with your Z-wave devices, you'll need a physical interface, and I'd strongly recommend the Z-NET. Z-NET communicates with Homeseer over your IP network, so you can get two and put one in each building to avoid any possible range issues at all.

HomeSeer really works best with Z-Wave devices. There are plugins for other types of devices, but keep in mind that many of them cost additional money, and are 'unofficial' - so they can stop working and/or be unreliable at times. Be sure to check that HomeSeer can communicate with all your devices before investing.

Best of luck!

Comment

Make sure to specify deep boxes for switches and outlets, you'll thank me later.
            HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

Comment

While z-wave is the forte of HS, Zigbee is hot on z-wave's tail IMO. Devices cost less and have better battery life. That said, Zigbee devices are generally not for complicated wiring setups, dry contacts, 240v etc, but they are awesome for sensors and wireless switches.

Unfortunately the z-wave "handler" for HS is controlled by Homeseer so you have to wait for them to add items, make corrections etc. That's where I see SmartThings has an advantage with their somewhat open handler system. The more popular Zigbee is deCONZ and it ties flawlessly into HS. Also unfortunately some of the add-ons are subject to continued participation by the developer and that isn't assured.

Comment

Fire dept approved chase ways from basement to attic and each floor in-between, for things you haven't thought of.

A couple of "extra" 2 inch pipes between the two buildings for things you haven't thought of.

In every location you pulled Cat6, add an extra strand, just in case. Distributed IR, digital audio, or even as a pull string for something you haven't thought of.

Get the theme here?
                "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Working...
                X