Motion sensors recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motion sensors recommendations

I am looking for recommendations for motions sensors. I have been using the zooz brand for most of my motion sensors but I am getting tired of the inconsistency of the ZSE18. Sometimes I could be standing in front of the darn things and waving my hands and nothing happens for 15 seconds or so. I see that homeseer sells something that looks identical but I am wondering if it works better than the zooz ones. I also have the zooz ZSE40, which I like for the luminence reading but all the zooz sensors seem to eat batteries like crazy.

pcgirl65 I have heard that the zse40 tends to mess with things. I have zse18's around here and work fine. I also have a bunch of the HS-MS100+ sensors and they too work very well. Both the HS and Zooz sensors have about the same battery life which so far has been very good.

Comment

My favorite type of PIR these days is the combo PIR / Microwave sensors. You get much less false positives with the combo sensors over the pure PIR sensors.

My sensors here though are wired to the alarm panel with 4 wires (22/4). 2 wires for 12VDC and 2 wires for the NC/NO switch. Not sure if the wireless Zigbee or ZWave PIR sensors are pure PIR or combo PIR/Microwave.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Can you link me to the ones that you are referring to?

Comment

Googled it...and found this...

https://www.smarthome.com/pages/sc-u...nsors-outdoors

It mentions dual technology PIR / MW and how it is not that popular.

That said the combo technology used in a PIR / MW sensor is great stuff.

The article mentions that the Homeseer ZWave PIR sensor is a dual technlogy sensor.

There are others listed there too.

- Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

For Z-Wave, these have been very reliable for us. Ecolink 2.5

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/pro...ink-pir-zwave2
            Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Rvtravlr View Post
              For Z-Wave, these have been very reliable for us. Ecolink 2.5

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/pro...ink-pir-zwave2
              I have several of these and have been very satisfied with performance including battery life.
              -Wade

Comment

All the ecolink motion sensors I own have a long battery life. I have had problems with a variety of Zooz products. Zooz is like Aeotec in the early days where they implement a lot of features but the complexity introduces problems.

In critical areas multiple motion sensors at different angles works best. Simple motion sensors without extras like temp and humidity have long battery life.

Are there any z-wave 700 series motion sensors? I'm trying to hold off buying more battery devices until I can get zwave 700

Comment

My answer might be unpopular, but Z-wave motion sensors suck (and I've tried almost all of them, most are just re-branded from a couple of OEMs in China) and I've been more than happy with ZigBee motion/luminance sensors from Aqara. Ultra tiny, extraordinary battery life, and best of all, very inexpensive (I can buy two to three for the same cost of some Z-wave sensors). This allows one to create motion sensor arrays within a given space/room for high-fidelity triggering and tracking.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32947165890.html

Comment

Does zigbee work with homeseer 4?

Comment

Most problems with z-wave sensors are related to the battery operated ones "waking up" especially when related to "speed issues." Any z-wave motion sensors I have used and run with external power have not had any problems. I avoid any which are battery operated EXCEPT the X10 Eagle Eye sensors, which I am phasing out and still only use for holidays.
                      Karl S
                      HS4Pro on Windows 10
                      1070 Devices
                      56 Z-Wave Nodes
                      104 Events
                      HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                      Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

I had zigbee motion sensors a few years back when I was with Smartthings and then hubitat. When I switched to hs, everything was zwave. It would seem that to integrate zigbee again, I would have to have more zigbee devices to create the mesh. Unfortunately, ksum I can't wire these motion sensors in anywhere. I could possibly use the HSM200 that plugs into an outlet but then I would need the outlet to have line of sight. Not always possible.

Comment

I have migrated to all Philips Hue zigbee sensors.

Previously I had Aeotec Multi-sensors but the reliability, speed, battery life of zigbee as compared to z-wave is chalk and cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by pcgirl65 View Post
                            I could possibly use the HSM200 that plugs into an outlet but then I would need the outlet to have line of sight. Not always possible.
                            Units which plug directly into an outlet is not what I was referring to. The HS-MS100+, GE, and other units do not plug directly into the outlet, but have micro USB or other such ports so you can use a phone charger and USB cable to power them. Then you have a USB cable going to the unit. If you REALLY want to, these can be hidden in the wall with a wall low voltage pass through plate at the unit and near the floor. On an interior wall these are easy to use provided it is drywall/plaster construction and not block. On an exterior wall insulation makes this a little more challenging but not difficult.
                            Karl S
                            HS4Pro on Windows 10
                            1070 Devices
                            56 Z-Wave Nodes
                            104 Events
                            HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                            Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

I also have a couple of the Philips Hue sensors and they do seem more reliable. Battery life seems decent also. Maybe I should just stick to those.

Comment

Working...
                              X