No announcement yet.

Motion sensors recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good experience with the Zwave Neo Coolcams. Cheap, long battery life and fast response.

Comment

w.vuyk I am trying to set up the conbee 2 stick. Jowihue sees it and I registered it but it isn't finding any lights or motion sensors. I deleted them from the philips hue app and unplugged the bridge. Do I have to flash the lights on and off or something?

Comment

It mentions dual technology PIR / MW and how it is not that popular.

That said the combo technology used in a PIR / MW sensor is great stuff.
        I really like the radar motion sensors and do not see why they have not become more popular. Cheap and great for detecting things made up of water (people) that reflect the microwave. You will seem many on AliExpress. Searches of US-suppliers of this technology has a pretty sparse hit rate.

Section 18.8 of mcsMQTT user manual describes a few of them. The first of these ($7) I use in the room that has a door to the garage that turns on the room light as the room is entered. What is really neat is that it is 360 degrees and penetrates the wall. This means that if I am coming from the garage into the house the light is turned on as I approach the door from the garage side or house side. It is a self-contained unit so no need for something like HS to broker the trigger/action relationship. Of course HS could be connected if desired. This particular unit has dials to adjust sensitivity and ambient light trigger levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post

I really like the radar motion sensors and do not see why they have not become more popular. Cheap and great for detecting things made up of water (people) that reflect the microwave. You will seem many on AliExpress. Searches of US-suppliers of this technology has a pretty sparse hit rate.
          I have a bunch of new Microwave (not combo) sensors sitting on my shelf since about 1981. As I recall they were prone to false alarms and if you had multiple sensors with overlapping coverage you had to be sure each detector is using a different frequency. I wonder if the technology has advanced any since then?

Comment

I suspect the1981 "Microwave-named" technology is different than what is used today. I tried some "Radar-named" sensors about 15 years ago that were marketed for presence detection alarms. I interfaced it by replacing the speaker with a X10 window-door sensor. They were totally different technology than what I am using now.

Comment

My two cents:

FYI I bought one of these when they were SmartThings and it's the best and most reliable motion detector I've ever. Unfortunately, they stopped making them but eventually Aeotec picked them up and they became available TODAY on AZ:

https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-SmartT.../dp/B095TZTGNB

These are ZIGBEE and will require a zigbee controller. I use the Nortek zwave/zigbee controller myself with my HS4 system.

Click image for larger version

Name:	310dQzeSxAS._AC_.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	1488203

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

that is correct. Have Hue bulbs and the Hue bridge/hub, but the only thing I use Hue Bridge for is to do firmware updates on the Hue bulbs (Philips has locked down this process).

By combining my Hue Bulbs and Aqara sensors on the same network using the ConBee2 hardware controller, it allows the Hue Bulbs to act as repeaters/routers for the battery sensors.

Another technical disadvantage of using the Philips Hue bridge is that it has to be polled, which is slower than using JowiHue and the ConBee2 for your zigbee control.
                This has me intrigued. So you're saying motion detection etc out of Hue sensors is faster when connected to the HomeSeer/USB Zigbee network vs the hub because it doesn't need to poll it?

If I was to go that route, does the Hue app still work for control? I assume not since I'm guessing the app connects to the hub?

Comment

Originally posted by auzzzie View Post

This has me intrigued. So you're saying motion detection etc out of Hue sensors is faster when connected to the HomeSeer/USB Zigbee network vs the hub because it doesn't need to poll it?

If I was to go that route, does the Hue app still work for control? I assume not since I'm guessing the app connects to the hub?
                  Correct, the Hue App talks to the Hue Bridge/Hub, so it only interacts with devices connected to that bridge.

I've never worked with the Hue sensors so I can't competently comment on responsiveness whether it was connected via the Hue Bridge and Homeseer Hue plugin, or if it could be connected directly to the Nortek Zigbee controller and the HS4 Zigbee plugin. You'd have to ask in this question in the HS4 Zigbee plugin support forum.

Comment

I am here using the Philips Hue Motion sensors on de Conbee with my plugin and response through that route is instant, they are really fast that way.
                    -- Wim

Plugins: JowiHue, RFXCOM, Sonos4, Jon00's Perfmon and Network monitor, EasyTrigger, Pushover 3P, rnbWeather, BLBackup, AK SmartDevice, Pushover, PHLocation, Zwave, GCalseer, SDJ-Health, Device History, BLGData

1210 devices/features ---- 392 events ----- 40 scripts

Comment

Working...
                    X