No announcement yet.

Best Rain Gauge Available Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you foresee any issues with an order straight from Ecowitt with 433mhz specified?

​​​​​Should integrate directly with my existing SDR-RTL 433 dongle I guess.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210828-143637_Chrome.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	1492127

Comment

When I put in the order from Ecowitt site and got to the shipping page it would not allow shipment to the USA. I suspect they do not want to send customers devices that are not compatible with the hub that is normally used in a specific region. If there was a 3rd party supplier they may not be so concerned.

Comment

i had access to all 3 frequencies when ordering... For once it seems Canada has cheap access to something you don't . Hopefully they will ship the ordered/correct item. Will let you know once I receive it. Otherwise will call them to ensure they ship the right one. Cheers.

Comment

I got similar results with ESP32 OpenGateway with rssi at 30 ft of -93. At 35 ft it was out of range. It is about the same range as the small BlueCharm iBeacons. Just looking at it as a beacon with the ZEXMTE receiver I see -75 db at 35 ft. This makes it hopeful that the ESP32 with an external antennae may give you acceptable range.

I first tried to install the OpenGateway using the ESP flash tool. Tried two different ESP32. The flashing went fine, but it would not boot. I was able to do it using the Browser interface. That is a really neat capability that it can be done OTA independent of the firmware that may have been in it before.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
            I first tried to install the OpenGateway using the ESP flash tool. Tried two different ESP32. The flashing went fine, but it would not boot. I was able to do it using the Browser interface. That is a really neat capability that it can be done OTA independent of the firmware that may have been in it before.
            Last time I flashed the ESP32, the OTA method was not available; I used the flash tool utility from espressif: https://www.espressif.com/en/product...sp32/resources

The flashing process with this tool is really hit and miss;
            When “sync” appears you have to briefly press the “EN” button on board.

Will run new tests with the Miflora once I receive the new ESP32+Antenna

Also have good hope that my attic ground plane antenna will pick up 433Mhz signal from the Ecowitt;

More to come.

Comment

Some feedback for anyone interested:

Received my WH51 (433Mhz) last week; Ecowitt proactively reached out to me to confirm frequency.
              Just installed, working perfectly with RTL-433 (433Mhz).
              Getting moisture data, battery status, other features, etc. Excellent range 200+ ft.
              Great cost effective solution: 10$ for the receiver (RTL-SDR which I already own and use for multiple 433Mhz devices) and 15$ per WH51 sensor.
              DIY antenna if extra range is needed.
              Now I need to test AA Eneloop battery life and unit's resistance to elements.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210921_101436.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.1 KB ID:	1498609
              Click image for larger version  Name:	wh51.PNG Views:	0 Size:	399.5 KB ID:	1498610

Comment

Good to hear that data delivery is stable. Never did understand why a carrier frequency of 915 vs. 433 would make any difference as the data rate are very small compared to the carrier frequency. I was even using a 915 Mhz antennae with the SDR to assure good signal strength for decoding. I'm happy with the GW1000 that I last saw on Amazon for $20. Price is similar to the SDR and now with Jim's help able to get a direct interface to mcsMQTT into HS. Also very happy with the 433 MHz sensors coming through the SDR/RTL-433.

Comment

123qweasd
                  With reference to your accurite 899 Rainfall graph, will it be a running total or are you somehow clearing the rain amount every day. Looking at mqtt output of the device I see only a
                  accumulation total being published. Thanks

Comment

The edit tab of mcsMQTT lets you adjust the total at midnight.

Comment

Originally posted by Spudjr View Post
                      123qweasd
                      With reference to your accurite 899 Rainfall graph, will it be a running total or are you somehow clearing the rain amount every day. Looking at mqtt output of the device I see only a
                      accumulation total being published. Thanks
                      =) you are going through the same thought process I did.... I guess I can save you some time here:

You are right, it is a running total and the only way to reset the total is to remove the batteries, not too efficient.
                      So at midnight I have HS calculate the daily spread for historical data / graphs + generate 2 days of previous data for HS logic/triggers (virtual devices)
                      You can also use Grafana directly to generate daily spreads but this won't help if you need to feed HS logic/triggers.

See below for some pointers..

PS: following jon00 's recommendation (Thanks Jon!), I added a mesh sink strainer to avoid organic matter clogging the rain bucket ( the dollar store is your friend =) ).

Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-09-29 21.40.22.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	1499622

Name:	899.PNG
Views:	201
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1499623

Name:	899b.PNG
Views:	195
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1499621

Name:	899c.PNG
Views:	249
Size:	356.1 KB
ID:	1499620

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post
                        The edit tab of mcsMQTT lets you adjust the total at midnight.
                        Didn't know this, thanks Michael!

Comment

Thankyou both for the info. Will need to read up up on the edit tab of mcsMqtt

Comment

It is in the section where the MQTT Payload is transformed as it is updated in HS. First create the additional HS device with checkbox. mcsMQTT will update row to show the Ref of the newly created device. The Delta since midnight radio option will take an incrementing counter and make it into a daily counter.

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	216
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	1499718

The association tab will also show the pseudo topic with same name as the source with "Accum" suffixed. While this example I put together does not show a payload in the Accum topi (and a temp sensor is not something that one would use this capability), it will populate the Payload, HS Device, and send to database if that option is selected.

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Views:	179
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	1499719

Comment

Hi Michael
                              Followed your instructions and added accum device. It did show up in HS device management page as 0 total. When it rained the device showed the same as the total history of the rain gauge. Also the new accum device does not show up in the associations tab. any idea what I did wrong. Thanks

Comment

I see you are using HS3 plugin. I did the same test with it an got the same expected result. I had to refresh the Association table after the new device was created before it showed in the table.

The update of the HS device is based upon the reading that existed at midnight vs. the last updated reading when using the Delta radio. Until the first midnight occurs after the device was created I expect the HS device to be the same as the raw data value. Have you let it run past midnight?

Comment

Working...
                                X