Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexa, what is x set to?

Hi,
    I can ask Alexa, What is the thermostat set to? and it will speak back, successfully, what I have it see to. How do I get Alexa to speak the value of a Virtual Device? For example, I have a VD that is updated by an event that measures my pool temperature. How do I get the same functionality from Alexa on the virtual device (using Alexa, not the HS speech feature) ? Right now I don't want to delve into MQTT or Red-Node to do this unless it's the absolute only way. My next up endeavor is to try and figure out the HS Touch Designer. Something tells me I had better set aside plenty of time for that beast.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You could use Jon's (jon00) Alexa helper. You will then have to "ask homeseer...". However, you can then create a custom routine within the Alexa app to recognize any phase or word to get your pool temperature.
    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Have a look for Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper.
      Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
      X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
      Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
      Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
      Scripts =
      Various

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
        You could use Jon's (jon00) Alexa helper. You will then have to "ask homeseer...". However, you can then create a custom routine within the Alexa app to recognize any phase or word to get your pool temperature.
        Yes, I saw that. But to assure the WAF I need to keep the "ask Homeseer to" out of the request. Everything else is witout "ask Homeseer" and, trust me, I don't want to have the conversation "Now, remind me when I have to say Ask Homeseer..."

Comment

That's why I suggested to create a custom routine with the Alexa app. This custom routine can then issue "tell homeseer ". As an example, I have defined a custom routine which calls the Alexa helper to read and speak the current power consumption of my house. So all I say is "Alexa... power consumption"
          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

That's why I suggested to create a custom routine with the Alexa app. This custom routine can then issue "tell homeseer ". As an example, I have defined a custom routine which calls the Alexa helper to read and speak the current power consumption of my house. So all I say is "Alexa... power consumption"
            Can you post some screenshots of the app that show how that's configured?

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that for sure. Still disappointed the custom routines can only be created/edited on a mobile device and not a PC. What were they thinking? Such a PIA.

Comment

mterry63 I've included a couple of shots. Bascially, you create a custom routine then tie the routine to Jon's helper which will read the device.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20210701-121559.png Views:	0 Size:	189.3 KB ID:	1482194

I've create a primary trigger in the helper which reads the device values and inserts them within the response. In my case, I have running total for the day and current consumption. I've probably gone overkill with the Alexa Text, but it will work with any combinations of those words. The keyword being just Power.
                It works well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Power.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.3 KB ID:	1482195
                avpman I agree with you and would have liked to see this in the web interface.

Comment

Thanks, looks like a novel way to get rid of "ask Homeseer" as a requirement. jon00 should mention this in his documentation. I'll give it a shot.

Comment

jon00, is this something your plug-in could pass to Homeseer, so we don't have to say, "ask homeseer?"
                    HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                    Home Assistant 2024.3
                    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                    Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                    Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                    WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                    AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
                      jon00, is this something your plug-in could pass to Homeseer, so we don't have to say, "ask homeseer?"
                      No, not directly via the Homeseer skill.
                      Jon

Comment

Working...
                      X