X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rmasonjr
    replied
    So, reading back through this some more, here are some thoughts:

HST recently started supporting Tuya devices "locally" by communicating directly and so far, it has been great. I have 5 of the devices and they all work fast and "locally".
    Ideally, if HST could do the same thing with the Yolink devices, via the Yolink hub, it would be very close to how they support Tuya.

Eric-YoLink you should reconsider opening up the hub with some simple JSON or other API for "local" interaction instead of through the cloud.

Again, those products look great - I hope they can make them more widely available to us!

Leave a comment:

• Michael McSharry
    replied
    Eric will need to provide the details, but I see nothing in this thread that indicates any local control in 2022. I just see that Home Assistant will have a similar capability that HS now has with mcsMQTT. It will just be using the HA account into YoSmart server rather than the mcsMQTT account. To get local control one needs to either have another LoRa hub at 928 MHz that brokers the undisclosed communications with YoLink devices or YoLink needs to update their hub so that a local server is used rather than the YoSmart server.

The point being made with D2D is that YoLink is providing a means for interoperability for YoLink devices and getting a patent so other manufacturers will not be able to connect their LoRa device to a YoLink LoRa device as well as allow other manufactures to use the technique covered by the patent. LoRa, like Z-Ware, is a proprietary technology. It uses spread spectrum and provides a means to tradeoff speed vs. distance. What is being communicated is not part of LoRa. Just like what is communicated over the internet is not part of the internet, albeit communication standards do exist at high levels of the ISO model. If one wants to look at communication standards for LoRa then look into The Things Network.

Leave a comment:

• upstatemike
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael McSharry View Post

The speed and reliability are not a function of AWS, but the ISP that is getting the client to AWS. In my case I cannot typically upload a file to a AWS server that is over 1 MB without multiple tries. When the connection is hit and miss the chances that a YoLink event will actually get through a bidirectional path to and from the cloud is also hit and miss. There are also cases where outages occur. One does not want to have anything important depend upon things that are outside one's control. It is fine for the fluffy stuff, but not for anything one depends upon.
    I agree local is better and I am glad there is a commitment by Yolink to provide a piece of hardware to enable all local control sometime in 2022. That said I am using Yolink to update Homeseer virtual devices via Alexa routines and I can't distinguish the response time from that of local Z-Wave stuff. I am comfortable using Yolink this way for now knowing the local solution is coming.

Device to Device technology has been around a long time. That is the basis of a distributed architecture. Going the direction of patenting some niche application of a distributed architecture is an indication that YoLink is moving away from the industry trends of more open and interoperable devices and toward something that tries to lock the customer into the YoLink ecosystem. What the general HA community is looking for is DeviceX to DeviceY communications where X and Y do not need to be proprietary YoLink products.
    The patented D2D technology is what provides local associations within the LoRa protocol. As far as I know no other LoRa manufacturer is providing a local association option. It is used to provide functionality that does not exist in a standardized way that can be interoperable across different LoRa manufacturers. I don't think there is any authority managing LoRa to create and enforce standards that would ensure the kind of interoperability you are looking for is there? Some kind of LoRa Alliance or something?

Leave a comment:

• jim@beersman.com
    replied
    I agree with everything Michael said.

Control D2D is a proprietary Yolink communication method that only works with other Yolink products. Yolink can't communicate with other vendors products locally because that does not appear to be important to them. However to many HomeSeer users (and other HA systems) this is a VERY important feature.

I need my Brand X prod to talk with Brand Y without going to the Internet. This is why many people across all the Social Media sites that Yolink likes to say they are a part of, keeps asking for local MQTT. Unfortunately the users request has been ignored to this point.

Without local communication, if my Internet connection is lost or Yolink were to go out of business all my Yolink products simply become doorstops.

Leave a comment:

• Michael McSharry
    replied
    Cloud, using AWS servers, very reliable and fast.
    The speed and reliability are not a function of AWS, but the ISP that is getting the client to AWS. In my case I cannot typically upload a file to a AWS server that is over 1 MB without multiple tries. When the connection is hit and miss the chances that a YoLink event will actually get through a bidirectional path to and from the cloud is also hit and miss. There are also cases where outages occur. One does not want to have anything important depend upon things that are outside one's control. It is fine for the fluffy stuff, but not for anything one depends upon.

it's patented and we call it Control D2D
    Device to Device technology has been around a long time. That is the basis of a distributed architecture. Going the direction of patenting some niche application of a distributed architecture is an indication that YoLink is moving away from the industry trends of more open and interoperable devices and toward something that tries to lock the customer into the YoLink ecosystem. What the general HA community is looking for is DeviceX to DeviceY communications where X and Y do not need to be proprietary YoLink products.

Leave a comment:

• Eric-YoLink
    replied
    Cloud, using AWS servers, very reliable and fast. We do have the ability to pair devices so they work independently (without the cloud), it's patented and we call it Control D2D. Naturally, I should not be too salesy in here. I was originally a customer and was also impressed right away, particularly with the customer service. Message me for more info. We have a Facebook page, Discord API/Developer and Power User groups and YouTube channel, all pretty active and a great way to stay connected to all things YoLink and to get the most out of your system.

Leave a comment:

• rmasonjr
    replied
    These devices look absolutely great! So, are these going to require a local hub? When controlling a device, will the command be 'local
    or will it go out through the cloud and back?

Leave a comment:

• Eric-YoLink
    replied
    What type is it? Is it a finger? A switch? Other?
    A switch, I think. To Alexa it's four motion sensors.

Leave a comment:

• Michael McSharry
    replied
    What type is it? Is it a finger? A switch? Other?

Leave a comment:

• Eric-YoLink
    replied
    Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
    Eric,

Just looked at the keyfobs on Amazon. They look great! Are they documented in the existing API so that Michael can integrate them and make them available to HS users?

Thanks,
    Robert

yes!

Leave a comment:

• logbuilder
    replied
    Eric,

Just looked at the keyfobs on Amazon. They look great! Are they documented in the existing API so that Michael can integrate them and make them available to HS users?

Thanks,
    Robert

https://smile.amazon.com/FlexFob-4-B.../dp/B0978V4WQC

Leave a comment:

• Michael McSharry
    replied
    Our HA integration is not local yet, it’s server-to-server. Local integration is inevitable
    When it happens let us know. Until then I do not see any integration changes for the HS user which now has cloud-based integration.

Leave a comment:

• Eric-YoLink
    replied
    It will be easiest to repost something from the HA forum:

At the risk of banishment, I will proceed to clear the air on some things here, and promote YoLink, which is even more of a viable option for lot of you since the first post. Yes, I work for YoLink, but I started as a customer. Looking to deck out my new construction home with the best home automation system I could afford, I loaded Python and HA on a Pi and went to work shopping for sensors. I made the mistake of buying a YoLink Temperature & Humidity sensor (they just had an indoor one at the time). I really loved the green packaging, build quality and appearance, all very Apple-esque. Insane long range. I had some questions and also had a couple automation settings suggestions, I emailed customer support. I received a prompt and friendly reply. Later, I found they added my requests to the app. At one point, I’m bragging about my plans for my home over-the-top security and automation, the CEO replies to my email. Long story less long, I am working for them now. No need for HA or the 4000’ of Cat 5E and 6 I put in the house for wired sensors and Arduinos, etc.
    But for everyone not getting all the free YoLink stuff they can want, Home Assistant integration - No-brainer, yes. But YoLink wasn’t even a thing 3 years ago, so the reason we are not already set up with an official Home Assistant integration (coming before March '22) is we have spent the first couple years of existence just fleshing out a bare-bones product line. And then, sometime this year, the world discovered YoLink and now we can’t keep the stuff on the shelves. We’re doing a brisk business in Brazil all of a sudden. I have an integrator in Turkey that wants to be signed up as a dealer (he has a 200 unit apartment building being built, going all-smart). High-rise condo market is exploding for us, as our leak sensors, Bulldog shut off combo and 1/4 mile range all make for a killer water leak detection/auto-shut-off solution. All that said, we have just been pulled in 1000 directions. We are integrator-friendly, we DO actually have a free API, and while we said we’d do this earlier in the year, we have our engineers committed to completing an official Home Assistant integration before 3/2022.

But we are developer and integrator-friendly. We have a Discord discussion for them, and for our Power User Group. We do work with MQTT and we actually do have some customers already setup, getting our devices to show up on their HA dashboards.

Our HA integration is not local yet, it’s server-to-server. Local integration is inevitable, if anything the commercial market will tip the scales in the favor for those that want local control. But some hardware is needed for this. It will likely come in the developer board and SDK we have planned - a board with all GPIOs available, and, concept designs have their way, modular I/O interfaces to DIY your own integration (e.g. 4-20mA, RS485, Bluetooth, etc.).

We do offer as a next-best-thing, our patented “Control D2D” device-to-device pairing, that allows for devices to work together, without WiFi, internet and even power. We have two options for dry contact inputs and two outputs/relays options.

Our efforts on product development has been paying off:

We have two fobs. AlarmFob and FlexFob. 4 buttons, each with 2 function. Control your YoLink devices and scenes arm and disarm (we have central station monitoring now), AND trigger Alexa routines and IFTTT applets.

We have added additional outdoor products, as this is an area of strength for us. Some competitors can barely get a sensor working in your mailbox in your front yard, let alone one in a metal mailbox 500’ as the crow flies in your subdivision. WP siren, motion sensor, temp/humidity, temp with probe. We are adding three more TH sensors or varieties, built for wider temperature ranges and coming with lithium batteries capable of up to 10 year battery life!

I have two of them on my desk right now, but by Thanksgiving you can get your own SpeakerHub, a new addition to the family of Hubs (cellular LTE coming next), this hub can play tones and sounds and read you your messages in clear, intelligible text-to-speech (from your custom messages in automation, etc.). We think this will be a game-changer, and we also see it changing expectations for smart home for those with accessibility and visual impairments, etc.

And I can not forget to mention our new web console. The beta version, going out this month, is geared for large, multi-site customers, like HOAs and property managers, like one with 18 sites and high-rise condos that have ~2000 sensors each in phase 1 alone (add lock management and thermostat and other aspects for rental applications and that number could easily double). So, immense systems, all brought into a condensed web browser. This tech will trickle down and be seen in our (new) app as well as a home version to run on tablets or our keypad product (both out early '22).

We’re not for everyone, and we’re not trying to be, but if you think YoLink could be a match for you, I have no reservations telling you to give us a try. It’s a great time to be a YoLink customer and the future is bright!

Leave a comment:

• logbuilder
    replied
    Eric, Welcome to HomeSeer! Here you will find a bunch of folks that have been into home automation for decades. HS allows for integration of most any device. Some of my devices are 15 years old and they are well supported in HS. Thanks to Michael, devices that support MQTT are easily integrated into HS. One of the fundamental reasons that people have selected HS is that from the beginning, HS has been all about local control - no internet dependence. Your products offer solutions where distance has been an issue in the past. I've tried insteon and z-wave in outbuildings with success only when rather close to the house. Your products are working well in terms of distance. However with cloud dependency, if my internet goes down, the YoLink devices effectively down too. If you are able to work with Michael on providing local status/control, it would be a big positive in my mind. I look forward to testing when it becomes available.

Robert

Leave a comment:

• Michael McSharry
    replied
    Is it your intention that the integration will continue to be via the Yosmart cloud servers or will you be providing an API for LAN access to the hub?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X