Home Weather Station for Homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Weather Station for Homeseer

I'm about to start shopping for a home weather station. Any ideas what works well with HS? I've used Davis Weather in the past. I'm open to something else if need be. I want a good reliable interface to HS so I can get local weather data on HSTouch displays. Something that can interface directly over my local LAN would be ideal since both USB ports on my Pi4 are in use. I really don't want to have to get into MQTT it Node-Red if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions of what's worked for you.

I've use a Davis Vantage Pro Wireless unit for neatly 12 years and it's still going strong so I'd say stick with Davis for the longevity.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I second Davis. Going into Year 9 and no sign of slowing down. Super reliable connection into HS.
      My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

+ on Davis.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I have an Ambient WS-1550-IP about 2 years now along with the Ambient plugin. It's less $ than the Davis and works fine for me. So far reliable. I mostly have it because of irrigation info to mcsSprinkler.
          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Also +1 on Davis Vantage Pro. I've had mine for 10 years without any issues. Also spares are readily available if something did fail.
            Jon

Comment

BTW here originally went to a custom Davis Datalogger serial cable/board (from Australia) with a large cache then got a Meteostick but never connected it.

Went to using Cumulus with two weather stations and a text file import. Originally written by Adam then given to Jon00 and used for Weather XML.

Here is an overview of said configuration. I ran Cumulus on a RPi.

IE: in FL used a Fine Offset (el cheapo) and local Davis at a Marine Research facility and in Illinois used a Davis Vantage view.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cumulus.jpg
Views:	878
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1483099

The original author of Cumulus retired. Have a read here ==> About Cumulus

The thing is that you want to stick to a weather station that has a direct connect to data versus a cloud based weather station. There is other Weather software. There is a list of Cumulus Weather software weather stations.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                ...The thing is that you want to stick to a weather station that has a direct connect to data versus a cloud based weather station. There is other Weather software. There is a list of Cumulus Weather software weather stations.
                Exactly. I'd like to stay in a Pi environment for now. It allows me to have a somewhat closed system without the worry of Windows updates or busy fingers. Plus, I keep a couple of spare Pis on hand to serve as a quick replacement if necessary. I'm currently looking into getting the ax case and an inexpensive SSD to improve reliability over the SD card. I would be willing to put an additional Pi in place to deal with communication to the Weather Station, if necessary. But then that's going to saddle me with getting the data from one device to another.

Checking on Cumulus Weather software...
                Last edited by avpman; July 8, 2021, 08:34 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                  I have an Ambient WS-1550-IP about 2 years now along with the Ambient plugin. It's less $ than the Davis and works fine for me. So far reliable. I mostly have it because of irrigation info to mcsSprinkler.
                  I have used the Ambient Weather WS-2902C for about 3 years now at one location and 2 years at another location without any issues, It works with the Ambient and AK Weather plugin and you can also connect it to Weather Underground and PWS free of charge for easy web access. I looked at the Davis but very expensive compared to the Ambient.

Comment

Also been using WS-2902C without any issues.
                    You may also want to look at Long weekend DIY project - Nice 20$ Weather station - Temp-Hum-Press-Illum-UV index - HomeSeer Message Board

Comment

I would also recommend the Davis VP2 Plus wireless and for integration consider the Davis 6100 Weatherlink Live. For software, CumulusMX, Weather Display, WeeWx or Meteobridge. There is numerous other options available but CumulusMX is probably the simplest route and Weather Display the most powerful solution.

Comment

Originally posted by brientim View Post
                        I would also recommend the Davis VP2 Plus wireless and for integration consider the Davis 6100 Weatherlink Live. For software, CumulusMX, Weather Display, WeeWx or Meteobridge. There is numerous other options available but CumulusMX is probably the simplest route and Weather Display the most powerful solution.
                        Thanks! At $500+ for the weather station plus an additional $200 for the 6100 I'm going to be beyond my comfortable budget. Plus, I think Davis is way behind with their weather console. The Ambient Weather and Rainwise have much more attractive color consoles for the WAF. However, I can't speak to the Ambient or Rainwise reliability/accuracy VS the Davis. I have always had a good experience with Davis products.

Comment

Originally posted by avpman View Post

Thanks! At $500+ for the weather station plus an additional $200 for the 6100 I'm going to be beyond my comfortable budget. Plus, I think Davis is way behind with their weather console. The Ambient Weather and Rainwise have much more attractive color consoles for the WAF. However, I can't speak to the Ambient or Rainwise reliability/accuracy VS the Davis.
                          I have two consoles and my wife rarely looks at them and will use the app or website in the first instance. Yes, do agree that they are expensive however the reliability, durability, longevity and supportablity is the cost of there unit... they survive the huricane and cyclones and can last for decades.

Don't forget Fine Offset (OEM), Ecowitt, most of their products as the same between Ecowitt and Ambient. I have some Ecowitt sensors and they have proven to be reliable and they are very well priced.

Comment

Just to give my $0.02 worth. I have had several Ambient Weather systems and they all last about 2 years before a non replaceable part fails and they have to be replaced. People I know that have Davis devices for 5-10 years and still going strong. That said the wife hates the Davis display's so when my Ambient Weather device goes bad again I still might have to go with them to keep the wife happy.

Comment

You might want to check out the new Tempest by Weatherflow. Click image for larger version

Name:	2663A975-D4D1-4480-9923-DA7F30BDABC2.jpeg
Views:	966
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1483185

Comment

Working...
                              X