No announcement yet.

Home Weather Station for Homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My only concern so far with the gw1000 is that it apparently pairs automatically with any compatible device it seems.

Comment

Have any of you tried ecowitt2mqtt? I think that will be my first approach once I get a gw1000 and rain gauge.
      -Wade

Comment

Have not used that application but I have used Ecowitt Listener
        https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...on?view=thread

I wrote it so I'm biased, but the price is right (It's free). I have a new version that I have been working on that works with multiple GW1000 or Ambient Consoles that can communicate locally. let me know if you would be interested.

There is also a plugin called "AK Weather" that does communicate local with the GW1000 as well

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post
          Have any of you tried ecowitt2mqtt? I think that will be my first approach once I get a gw1000 and rain gauge.
          I wasn't aware of either that app or Jim's work. I'm using the AKweather plugin.

I installed an ecowitt soil moisture sensor today. Nice product for $16.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post

I just issue a reboot via a curl command once a week att 1:00am.

&nhs.GetURL("192.168.1.40","/msgreboot.htm",0,80)

I'm curious how you do this with z-wave... is the oip on a z-wave plugin module?
            I just plug it into a Z-wave module. I think I tried the software reboot but didn't have much luck....
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
            Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
            weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
              I have an Ambient WS-1550-IP about 2 years now along with the Ambient plugin. It's less $ than the Davis and works fine for me. So far reliable. I mostly have it because of irrigation info to mcsSprinkler.
              I have a similar setup except I use a $30 Oregon Scientific PCR800 rain sensor and integrated it with HS easily with a RFXcom receiver. Michael McSharry also had success integrating it with HS using a $20 rtl-sdr.

Comment

Originally posted by dmiller View Post
                I wasn't aware of either that app or Jim's work. I'm using the AKweather plugin.
                I installed an ecowitt soil moisture sensor today. Nice product for $16.
                AKWeather supports two different local interfaces for GW1000 and AW (and other FOSHK clones). As dmiller mentioned, both protocols pick all FOSKH sensors, so you can't differentiate between different PWS (if you have more than one). Still investigating the possibilities, as each sensor does have unique ID.

Comment

Quick follow-up. Got ecowitt2mqtt up and running in a docker container within a few minutes. With mcsMQTT I'm getting all data from the rain sensor into HS devices. Pretty simple. Ordering a couple soil moisture sensors today.
                  -Wade

Comment

Just a follow up to installation and use of my Davis Vantage Vue weather station.

Noticed that the CumulusMX weather software has been updated these days such that it works fine via the "old" buffered serial cable and new "IP" Davis Weather link hardware device.

There is a new option of a WiFi to IP serial device which also works fine.

That said here put the Davis console in the basement and connected it to the HS4 Pro box via last design of the serial buffered cable ("green dot"?)

Cumulus MX now speaks MQTT which provides a nice network interface mechanism. I used the Cumulus Web tags to provide MQTT stuff with the following configuration.

I am still adding web tags and continue to configure it.

IntervalTemplate.txt file:

Code:
                    {"topics":[
                    {
                    "topic": "CumulusMX/Interval",
                    "data": "{\"time\":\"<#timehhmmss>\",\"battery\":<#txbattery channel=5>,\"pressure\":<#presstrendenglish rc=y>,\"inside-temp\":<#intemp rc=y>,\"temp\":<#temp rc=y>,\"humidity\":<#hum>,\"inside-humidity\":<#inhum>,\"wgust\":<#wgust rc=y>}",
                    "retain": true
                    }
                    ]}
                    Jon00's CumulusMX script / plugin works fine these days.

I am still using WeatherXML here and there used to be an option to integrate weather station data in to it but do not see it at this time with HS4.

Been testing the Meteostick and it also works fine with the Davis ISS except the only weather software that works with the Meteostick is the WeatherWX application or using the WeatherBridge. I have configured the Meteostick with an instance of WeatherWX.

Ordered a new serial to console device called the WiFi logger 2. This is an all in one wireless IP solution. This device will also work with Cumulus. It is more self contained.

In a quickie summary related to Homeseer 4 I would like to see an all in one Weather station / weather software plugin for Homeseer 4.

Currently using NOAA with WeatherXML which works fine for me with Homeseer 3 and Homeseer 4.

- Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                      In a quickie summary related to Homeseer 4 I would like to see an all in one Weather station / weather software plugin for Homeseer 4.

Currently using NOAA with WeatherXML which works fine for me with Homeseer 3 and Homeseer 4.
                      In my AKWeather plugin I implemented currently 23 different providers - for weather services and PWS. This includes four different NOAA protocols (old, new, Marine and NDBC).

For PWS I supportAnd also working on WeatherLink (Davis Instruments) - both Local and Remote, but since I don't own Davis PWS it's a bit difficult. I was hoping that Davis could supply me with their devices for development, but they a bit hesitant at the moment.

I know Pete you are against paid plugins, but I think it's a small price to pay for amount of work it requires and quality of support I provide.

Comment

Would you consider an option in your new plugin to use serial data from the console via direct connection or a serial to Ethernet connection or using readable data from the Meteostick?
                        I implemented Meteobridge, but not Meteostick - I asked them if there's an API I can use. I always prefer to communicate with the manufacturer directly and use the official API if possible.

Comment

And also working on WeatherLink (Davis Instruments) - both Local and Remote, but since I don't own Davis PWS it's a bit difficult.

Yes CumulusMX has been updated to work with Weatherlink and the Davis buffered and 3rd party (green dot?) buffered serial cables.

The WiFi Logger 2 device also works well from what I am reading at this time (ordered one of these).

Personally still like having a weather station application running which does have to be managed separately. A few years ago installed WeatherWX for a Homeseer user with a Meteostick. It worked fine. Thinking the WeatherWX plugin was written in Python.

I was hoping that Davis could supply me with their devices for development, but they a bit hesitant at the moment.

Davis has always been slow sharing their stuff. That is why their consoles are still using 1990's technology and why their transport was reverse engineered.

A tangent here ==> this is similar to Rainbird and their irrigation technology and their not sharing anything 20 years ago.

I prefer the Meteostick and the WiFi logger 2 (plus using MQTT) methodology rather than using the Davis console. The WiFi Logger 2 also speaks MQTT. Still have to use the antiquated console though with the WiFi logger.

I tried this morning to utilize the Cumulus generated text file with WeatherXML and could not get it to work.

I know Pete you are against paid plugins, but I think it's a small price to pay for amount of work it requires and quality of support I provide.

Understood Alex.

I am not against paid plugins. In the HS2 days purchased all of the available plugins at the time. When Homeseer 3 came along it was assumed here that it would come with a base of Homeseer plugins and it did sort of in the HS3 Pro packaged deal (with HS Touch designer et al). Still not really using Homeseer 4 in production; rather still testing HS4 Pro.

So yes I would pay for a plugin that was similar to WeatherXML in function.

- Pete

Auto mator
                          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I like the Meteostick here as it does not need a Davis Console to run it. This is similar to the Davis 6100 WeatherLink Live device only much smaller and no frills with it.

The Meteohub software (firmware) connects to the Davis Console via the serial logger or to the Davis ISS via the Meteostick.

Played with the Meteostick last weekend. Just connected it this morning and noticed it does not save the settings.

IE: if you have a power failure then you have to reconfigure the MeteoStick. Wondering if the Meteohub auto configures itself for the Meteostick once you have lost power.

The Davis Console remembers settings with or without batteries after a power failure sort of. It goes back to configuration once it powers up.

Basic output once configured. It is just a serial device with a USB connection.

Code:
                            o2
                            # output clear text
                            t31
                            # listening to transmitter 1 2 3 4 5
                            Rain id:5 ticks:134 signal:-56db
                            Wind id:5 speed:0.00m/s dir:82deg signal:-56db
                            Panel id:5 power:19.7% signal:-43db
                            Indoor temp:19.0C press:991.36hPa valid packets:31.5%
                            Rain id:5 ticks:134 signal:-43db
                            Wind id:5 speed:0.00m/s dir:82deg signal:-43db
                            Rain id:5 ticks:134 signal:-42db
                            Wind id:5 speed:0.00m/s dir:82deg signal:-42db
                            Rain id:5 ticks:134 signal:-47db
                            Wind id:5 speed:0.00m/s dir:82deg signal:-47db
                            Wind id:5 speed:0.00m/s dir:82deg signal:-43db
                            Rain id:5 ticks:134 signal:-45db
                            Wind id:5 speed:0.47m/s dir:82deg signal:-45db
                            Outdoor id:5 temp:23.6C hum:48% signal:-40db
                            Wind id:5 speed:0.47m/s dir:82deg signal:-40db
                            Rain id:5 ticks:134 signal:-45db
                            Wind id:5 speed:0.47m/s dir:82deg signal:-45db
                            Panel id:5 power:19.6% signal:-43db
                            Rain id:5 ticks:134 signal:-53db
                            Wind id:5 speed:0.00m/s dir:82deg signal:-53db
                            There is no mechanism in the Meteostick to indicate backup ISS battery info. The serial logger to the Davis Console shows Console battery and ISS battery (even though it is only a backup to the supercap).
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I like the Meteostick here as it does not need a Davis Console to run it. This is similar to the Davis 6100 WeatherLink Live device only much smaller and no frills with it.

The Meteohub software (firmware) connects to the Davis Console via the serial logger or to the Davis ISS via the Meteostick.

Played with the Meteostick last weekend. Just connected it this morning and noticed it does not save the settings.

IE: if you have a power failure then you have to reconfigure the MeteoStick. Wondering if the Meteohub auto configures itself for the Meteostick once you have lost power.

The Davis Console remembers settings with or without batteries after a power failure sort of. It goes back to configuration once it powers up.

Basic output once configured. It is just a serial device with a USB connection.

There is no mechanism in the Meteostick to indicate backup ISS battery info. The serial logger to the Davis Console shows Console battery and ISS battery (even though it is only a backup to the supercap).
                              Yes Pete I received the protocol document from smartbedded.com
                              It connects via USB serial (FTDI chip).
                              Please find protocol (when used outside the Meteobridge world) attached.
                              If you are willing to do the testing - I can start implementing it.

Comment

If you are willing to do the testing - I can start implementing it.

Yes.

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                                X