Home Weather Station for Homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pete View Post
    If you are willing to do the testing - I can start implementing it.Yes.
    I moved the discussion here https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...197-meteostick

Comment

Originally posted by jameseoconnor View Post
      You might want to check out the new Tempest by Weatherflow. Click image for larger version

Name:	2663A975-D4D1-4480-9923-DA7F30BDABC2.jpeg
Views:	976
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	1483185
      Just to let folks know: I purchased the Tempest in July 2020. This first one failed in March 2021. The company replaced it and this second one failed yesterday. From reading of the posts here, it sounds like Davis personal weather stations are the most reliable. Elliott
      "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
      "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

Originally posted by Richel View Post

Just to let folks know: I purchased the Tempest in July 2020. This first one failed in March 2021. The company replaced it and this second one failed yesterday. From reading of the posts here, it sounds like Davis personal weather stations are the most reliable. Elliott
        I purchased Weatherflow for the lightning sensor so Homeseer can announces lightning alerts. I don't see where Davis has lightning detection even as an option.

Comment

Here historically used a 1-Wire lightning sensor, then built one with an RPi (which is still in the attic) and lately have integrated it with Blitzortung.org Home Assistant lightning detector to drive TTS events on close lightning strikes. Best so far is using the the Blitzortung.org HA plugin and this script...check this out...

https://www.vcloudinfo.com/2020/08/a...assistant.html
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Richel What failed? The entire Tempest? Battery issue? Mine is fine for now but it's only three months old.

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
              Richel What failed? The entire Tempest? Battery issue? Mine is fine for now but it's only three months old.
              Battery is "good." It connects fine to its hub and I can access it with the smartphone app. So, I can see that temperature (reading -557 F), barometric pressure, wind speed, luminance, rainfall are not working. It may be detecting lightning. I took it down and turned it off and on, with no fix. Waiting to hear back from support.
              "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023

Comment

Ecowitt (and clone AmbientWeather) have lightning sensor https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...icial-protocol

Ecowitt is pretty good and pretty cheap. They also have WittBoy very similar to Tempest https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...wittboy-gw2000

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

Here historically used a 1-Wire lightning sensor, then built one with an RPi (which is still in the attic) and lately have integrated it with Blitzortung.org Home Assistant lightning detector to drive TTS events on close lightning strikes. Best so far is using the the Blitzortung.org HA plugin and this script...check this out...

https://www.vcloudinfo.com/2020/08/a...assistant.html
                    Looks good. What TTS strategy are you using with Home Assistant? Something local?

Comment

Does Davis have a Homeseer plugin?

Comment

For the Davis Weather station here use two methodologies right now...well three....

From the console is a buffered serial cable to same HS box running CumulusMX. CumulusMX talks MQTT now.

And using a MeteoStick and Hub which talks IP and runs on a tiny Openwrt travel router. This is a pure wireless to Davis ISS connection and it speaks wireless or via ethernet port IP. Overdoing the Davis weather stuff a bit.

Jon00 has a CumulusMX plugin.

The lightning sensor is using MQTT so you can pick it up with Homeseer and Home Assistant. Home Assistant produces a local 1-2 mile radius lightning map.

You can also then trigger TTS events with close lightning. I am getting too many false positives from the lightning detector in the attic. The 1-Wire lightning detector is 25 or so years old. Non directional and just shows a graph of lightning strikes nearby. I would utilize it with Homeseer 2 xAP for watching if needed for golfing.

Still using Homeseer Speaker speaking different voice fonts (5 instances) running on a W7 Virtual Box for TTS to house speakers (Russound). I have been collecting SAPI voice fonts since the 1990's.

That said Homeseer 3-4 is running on two Ubuntu Boxes here. I am also using W2016 Virtual boxes to do some windows stuff.

And tinkering with the Alexa Media Home Assistant app to manage and use TTS from one or all or any of the Alexa Devices (mostly Alexa 5 and 8 inch devices here).
                        - Pete

Auto mator
                        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I am using Jon00's CumulusMX plugin which works with many different weather stations.

Jon00's CumulusMX plugin has been around since the Homeseer 2 days. It is also configured to pull in data from two different weather stations which I was doing some 15 years ago.

CumulusMX has a web page and pushes via FTP to an online Website and NOAA at this time.

It is very light and runs concurrently on the same box as Homeseer.
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I am using Jon00's CumulusMX plugin which works with many different weather stations.
                            https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/hs...ts-weatherlink

The plugin also supports Cumulus

Comment

Here are AMXXX lightning sensor data as presented by Home Assistant. It is omni directional as well as the lightning couter. I also get a lightning map which is directional which is a nice to have. I have the lightning map set to 3 miles or so.

Both speak MQTT. Here is MQTT explorer view.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LightningMQTT.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	1564401
                              Attached Files
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

The DIY for the Lightning sensor is here. Its been two years now in the attic with no issues. The sensor is just sitting on a piece of wood across a 2 X 4 in the attic.

AS3935 Lightning Detector Sensor to MQTT - 2020 Version

I have an SDR also connected to same RPi and that is connected to an antenna for NOAA maps as the satellite passes over head.

Raspberry Pi NOAA Weather Satellite Receiver

I also download newest NOAA satellite HD maps via a direct link to the satellite captures. Very nice HD pictures. This is a GIF converted to a JPG for posting here... Click image for larger version

Name:	downloadMap_4_1.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	1564403

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                                X