Use Wall Mouted Tablet As Audio Source For All House Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use Wall Mouted Tablet As Audio Source For All House Audio

If BlueTooth doesn't cut it for you, there is a kit (Inline 89003 Passive RJ45 Audio Adaptor) that can save the day... And if Android Tablet, you can add the Tasker Plug-in (Speech Proxy) and have what's playing paused while TTS in progress

Eman.
    TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Sorry Eman, but some of your posts are really obscure. I'm sure many people reading this have no idea what you are talking about? What's the tablet running? HSTouch for the speech? How does the link to the audio adapter really relate? You are assuming people have CAT5 run to the tablet when they could be on WiFi and local power?

For the cost of that adapter, it would be cheaper to get a USB sound card for a few $ and use that on your HS PC..
    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
      Sorry Eman, but some of your posts are really obscure. I'm sure many people reading this have no idea what you are talking about? What's the tablet running? HSTouch for the speech? How does the link to the audio adapter really relate? You are assuming people have CAT5 run to the tablet when they could be on WiFi and local power?

For the cost of that adapter, it would be cheaper to get a USB sound card for a few $ and use that on your HS PC..
      OK sorry for the confusion
      • That kit doesn't go anywhere near the network but it's a cheaper way of using the inexpensive RJ45 cables to extend AUX (audio jack) from from your Tablet which may well be located 30-40 feet away or obstructing wall from your AV equipment rack (For those who have the Monoprice 6 Zone or other...) If you're say to use a BlueTooth kit, this may be located well away from the all House Audio system...
      • Android : For announcements (TTS) tonlof did a great job with Tasker Plug-in for HomeSeer (It's also plugs in as a speech proxy) that you can use Acapella voices for good quality TTS (This acts as a remote speaker client)
      • Example : My wall Tablet multi tasks that you can view instant live cameras (although this is not for this post), HStouch, Internet music (using WinAmp) and other apps (Those in the US have got better streaming apps)
      • So you leave your AV Amp for the movies

Eman.

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
        Sorry Eman, but some of your posts are really obscure. I'm sure many people reading this have no idea what you are talking about?
        I agree. I have difficulty understanding what Eman is talking about half the time, which is often off topic in many discussions. But I'm sure he's only trying to help,

What he is talking about in this thread is 'audio over cat5', basically using Cat5/5e/6 cables for line level (analog) audio. The kit he is pointing to uses baluns to send audio signals over Cat5/5e/6 UTP cables. The audio source can be pretty much anything (a PC, a tablet, a phone etc). Usually the other end is connected to an amplifier or AV receiver. It's kind of like using a very long cable to plug your iPhone or tablet into your amplifier.

I actually use one of these to get audio from a wall mounted touchscreen PC in our kitchen to the whole house audio amplifier (Speakercraft MZC), for things like Spotify and watching TV (Kodi) in the kitchen.

Although it works the audio quality is acceptable, but not high quality with a lackluster dynamic range. Even though it is twisted pair cabling it's still subject to noise interference. And you can also endup with 'ground loop' (humming) issues if the source and destination are on different AC circuits. The kits/baluns are pretty cheap but not as good as a true digital solution.

Marty

P.S. RJ45 is not a cable specification but rather a plug specification. And technically 'ethernet' is not a cable specification either.
        iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

I use baluns all the time for audio to remote locations and the quality is fine. The secret is to use good quality baluns. I have tried ones similiar to what is in the link and they did not work well enough for me.

Comment

Thanx guys,

I had much to learn from your input that now changed them to these :https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's good to share otherwise I could not have known and benefited from your technical expertise

Eman

Comment

Working...
            X