Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I find a Homeseer Dealer/Integrator in my area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I find a Homeseer Dealer/Integrator in my area?

I live in the DC Metro/Northern Virginia Area and I am looking for someone to help me design, install, and configure a whole-home A/V and HomeSeer-based automation and security system. I'm ok with keeping the projects separate, but in a perfect world, I would love to find someone that can do the HS work and also recommend equipment, extend and switch HDMI, install ceiling speakers, and pull CAT5 cable. I'd welcome specific referrals or a link to HS Dealer Locator.

Thanks,
    Henry

If money is not an issue then you are probably best off just finding somebody in your area that won't just do the installation but also maintain the system if you run into problems or need improvements (just as you requested).

Having said that, there is A LOT going into planning things properly. For a starter, if you put in CAT cables you want to go with CAT6 or at the minimum CAT5e. For cams you probably want to use unshielded cable. For other connections you probably want to use shielded CAT cable (and ground it properly). You probably need a PoE switch for cams and another switch for all other ports. Ceiling speakers are great for bedrooms, offices, showers, etc but for places where you have bigger systems than stereo you probably only want to use them for surround sound, if at all. For the ceiling speaker I use a Russound with 16 channels and I have Chromecasts. You will end up with a lot of cables which can interfere. I ended up using optical connections from the Chromecasts to optical to RCA converters located right next to the multi-channel amp. I could go on and on... The point is that you can get a lot of input from people on this forum if you are willing to put some (a lot of) work in. Otherwise you are at the mercy of whoever does your system (and probably pay them $100+/hour).

Comment

Although HomeSeer was designed for Geeks, it doesn't mean that it can't be installed by dealers and that is if you can find any in your area.
      But to tell from experience the system is best built by the barer or get the HomeSeer HomeTroller PRO Smart Home Hub and work with the HomeSeer Team for continued support.
      • Invest some time or get your electrician to first for you guys to run cat 6/7 cables and speaker cables to all locations
      • Locate on a copy of the blueprint (Plan) all these locations with notes. Well...just like a Battle Plan
      • Because it's a grand project ask or let your electrician ask questions on your behalf as you deal with the project. That will save you a tonne of money by avoiding integrators and you get to learn to troubleshoot the system should there be need to do so. You and your electrician will learn new things...
      • Write down every small details for reference as you go along and start small but don't skimp on the Cat 6/7 and speaker cables first of all things you will come to thank yourself.
      • Think...Do you have time on your hands?...Then balance that with the benefits

Now come back here with a small list of what you want to do for each room so we can tackle your project as you go along.
      To be continued...

Eman.
      TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Eman makes some good points. Every wire that goes into the wall should be the best you can get and dedicated for the purpose. For both CAT and speaker wires I did use Belden. Also if you want somebody to do everything for you then HS is probably not the best option. Chose something like Control4 or similar. Just be prepared that they might go out of business and/or charge you a lot per hour. They usually can help you remotely and pretty quickly, though. So it all depends on your needs and how much you want to spend and the risk that your system goes down when the company goes down or decides not to support that particular system anymore.

Comment

Thank you for the good advice. I've enjoyed running a HomeTroller S6 at my current home since 2017, and have spent thousands on z-wave devices and wiring, but I don't feel like I ever had the time to get the system really optimized, so I thought I would explore the cost/benefit of getting the baseline setup right in my new home and have a local person to consult with.

My first experience with a whole-home AV system was that the integrator pulled all the cable and installed the speakers, but it does make sense to keep this separate and have an electrician do it when he is running electric for the magic toilets and helping me with the complicated 4-way switches that don't have neutrals

Comment

For someone who has lived with Z-wave for at most 5Years, you sure know what you on about and definitely will need someone local but you will still have to break it down and expose your plan if you are to attract attention from these forums. Especially to those who would be happy to do the job.
            • It's not that they can't do the job but it could turn out to be locality...
            • You have the option to explain yourself a bit better (Your setup/positioning of your Z-wave interfaces) and what kind of devices you plan to use. (I would recommend the new Z-wave 700 Series and you will still use your old devices)
            • There are a few guys out there on the internet who advertise themselves as working privately but if you can hunt them down and have a word with them. It's doesn't help for not trying. You can cry out to them with crocodile tears and you never know until you try.... And here goes..
            1, The Hook Up http://www.TheSmartHomeHookUp.com
            2, Miller Technical Services https://MillerMediaSTL.com
            3, These guys may be expensive : https://quicktechav.com/

And this I just searched in Google : https://www.yelp.com/search?cflt=hom...Richmond%2C+VA

How's that?

Eman.
            TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by fishcasa View Post
              I live in the DC Metro/Northern Virginia Area and I am looking for someone to help me design, install, and configure a whole-home A/V and HomeSeer-based automation and security system. I'm ok with keeping the projects separate, but in a perfect world, I would love to find someone that can do the HS work and also recommend equipment, extend and switch HDMI, install ceiling speakers, and pull CAT5 cable. I'd welcome specific referrals or a link to HS Dealer Locator.

Thanks,
              Henry
              Hi Henry - Our target market is DIY home automation, so we're not actively cultivating a dealer network. As such, we don't have a "dealer locator". You can certainly get a lot of help here on the forum and you can also contact us directly if you have specific questions or need a bit of guidance.
              💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Working...
              X