Smart Lock - What to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart Lock - What to buy?

Hello, I want to add a smart Lock and I am not sure what way to. Wi-Fi z-wave or?
    I don't want to be a cloud base option per se, but the family will like Fingerprint reader, and I'm not sure if is just a gimmick or is worth it.

Any guidance and experiences will help me a lot.

I am running HS4 and Google Home, but all my smart home is dependant on HS4 not in Google, we only use it for the Voice activation.

Thank you!!

Greetings sirexilon,

I use the Kwikset Z-Wave model 916 and have been very pleased with it. Long battery life, easy integration with HomeSeer and zero issues.

Roger D

Comment

I am using Schlage 469 locks. They are z-wave and are natively supported by HS (assuming you have the z-wave stick). These locks used to be finicky to include with the old z-wave 2gen (500 series) controller, i.e. you had to get the controller very close to the lock (or the lock to the controller). Close means less than 2 feet. However, they included on the first trial with our new 700 series controller from like 20' away going through two walls. Maybe just dumb luck but it works. Some people don't like the look/size of the lock but it fits perfectly with the style of our home. I guess it kind of depends on

* the lock is supported by HS
      * you have to buy a plugin for it
      * how it fits into your design
      * how easy it is to add/delete codes
      * how easy it is to limit codes to certain dates/time (like housekeepers, allowing neighbors into your house while you are away, etc)

Comment

We have 3 Schlage BE469ZP locks and are very pleased with them. Reliable and good battery life.
        -Wade

Comment

Interesting, and thank you for the answers so far. I truly appreciate your input.

Has anybody gone for Fingerprint? they like that at home and I am trying to keep it z-wave... I need ammo lol.

Comment

Were you looking for a Z-Wave compatible fingerprint lock? If so, I think your pickings will be slim, expensive and commercial looking.

A couple of other questions...

Will this be the only lock for the door?

Does it need to be a latch and deadbolt, deadbolt only or latch only type?

Roger D

Comment

Originally posted by sirexilon View Post
              Interesting, and thank you for the answers so far. I truly appreciate your input.

Has anybody gone for Fingerprint? they like that at home and I am trying to keep it z-wave... I need ammo lol.
              No matter what you always want a backup. either keyed, or keypad.

fingerprint locks can be finicky. I just finished sanding a cabinet. I know from previous experience that my phones fingerprint reader will not read my fingerprint for about 2 days. doing some gardening/yardwork? you might find yourself locked out if you're using a fingerprint reader.

Personally I'd love to find a stable NFC/bluetooth lock. When I researched the Kwikset Kevo bluetooth lock, I found some reviews that talked about the bluetooth being very positional and not consistent. I also didn't like that they didn't include a keypad since that's my preferred backup method.
              HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
              Number of Devices: 1005
              Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Originally posted by sirexilon View Post
                Hello, I want to add a smart Lock and I am not sure what way to. Wi-Fi z-wave or?
                I don't want to be a cloud base option per se, but the family will like Fingerprint reader, and I'm not sure if is just a gimmick or is worth it.

Any guidance and experiences will help me a lot.

I am running HS4 and Google Home, but all my smart home is dependant on HS4 not in Google, we only use it for the Voice activation.

Thank you!!
                My 2 cents worth: I have been using Danalock Z-Wave, which also works with bluetooth proximity from phone or an optional keypad that you install adjacent to it. It has been in operation for about 2.5 years and working well. I got it, because I did not want to drill any holes in my door, as I did for other Z-wave locks at my former home. There is another brand of similar design (August), but not as sleek. Battery life is pretty good, too, with Danalock.
                "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023
                "Reboot and rejoice!" F. Pishotta, 1989

Comment

Originally posted by Roger D View Post
                  Were you looking for a Z-Wave compatible fingerprint lock? If so, I think your pickings will be slim, expensive and commercial looking.

A couple of other questions...

Will this be the only lock for the door?

Does it need to be a latch and deadbolt, deadbolt only or latch only type?

Roger D
                  Hello, Yes I want it with the Deadbolt and a Key just in case. It will be the main Lock door, maybe add back later and I will like to add Side Yard doors in the future

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Richel View Post

My 2 cents worth: I have been using Danalock Z-Wave, which also works with bluetooth proximity from phone or an optional keypad that you install adjacent to it. It has been in operation for about 2.5 years and working well. I got it, because I did not want to drill any holes in my door, as I did for other Z-wave locks at my former home. There is another brand of similar design (August), but not as sleek. Battery life is pretty good, too, with Danalock.
                    I also have a couple of danalocks v3. However, when HS restarts (for what ever reason) the locks need to be manually reconnected by using the danalock app. It is not necessary to do a full inclusion, only tap the connect icon in the app. I'm using Aotec z-wave stick.

In addition, after the latest HS z-wave plugin update I can no longer control the locks, but they report status to HS when they are locked/unlocked.

Anyone with similar experiences?

regards,
                    Dag-Inge

Comment

Originally posted by dag-inge View Post

I also have a couple of danalocks v3. However, when HS restarts (for what ever reason) the locks need to be manually reconnected by using the danalock app. It is not necessary to do a full inclusion, only tap the connect icon in the app. I'm using Aotec z-wave stick.

In addition, after the latest HS z-wave plugin update I can no longer control the locks, but they report status to HS when they are locked/unlocked.

Anyone with similar experiences?

regards,
                      Dag-Inge
                      I do not have the issue you are having. I am running HS4 Pro on Windows 10. However, I have lost my ability to use the smartphone app with the Danalock. I'm not sure why, but I did add the keypad, which I think connects via bluetooth and works quite well. The Danalock may not be able to be connected to two different bluetooth devices at the same time. In any case, it continues to work quite well with HomeSeer.
                      "Living with technology means living in a [constant] state of flux." S. Higgenbotham, 2023

Comment

Glad to hear, Richel!

At work I have a Danalock with keypad and it works with the phone as well, so two bluetooth devices is no problem.

What Z-wave interface (stick) do you have?

I'll try a reset and complete new inclusion to my z-wave network.

regards,
                        Dag-Inge

Comment

Originally posted by dag-inge View Post
                          Glad to hear, Richel!

At work I have a Danalock with keypad and it works with the phone as well, so two bluetooth devices is no problem.

What Z-wave interface (stick) do you have?

I'll try a reset and complete new inclusion to my z-wave network.

regards,
                          Dag-Inge
                          Thanks for the information on bluetooth. I have an old wired Z-Net that it connects to. This is one of 2 Z-Net interfaces that I have in my home. The other is HomeSeer SmartStick+ G2 USB Z-Wave.

Comment

I have a Schlage and several Yale locks. I like the Yale's more as they as Z-Wave plus and more reliable. That said, you can now get a Zwave Plus schlage.... At the time I ordered the Yale's I could not.
                            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                            Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                            weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Looking for a selfhosted smartlock solution. Found homeseer and figuring out which locks to use. How does the communication between the HS and lock work? Can HS open any connected smartlock?

Comment

Working...
                              X