No announcement yet.

Unable To Access Homeseer Module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: Per Homeseer tech support, the module should not sit behind a firewall. I would be grateful for comments on this.

Does placing the module in front of the firewall make it vulnerable to intrusion?

Comment

Originally posted by daveagius View Post
      Question: Per Homeseer tech support, the module should not sit behind a firewall. I would be grateful for comments on this.

Does placing the module in front of the firewall make it vulnerable to intrusion?
      That's a bad idea Every device on your network should be protected by the Firewall which in this case is your router.
      You have an Enterprise router, which you should learn how to use. I posted a few links about it already

Eman.
      TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Eman Thank you for your response. I have my network set up by someone who does that for a living and he manages the firewall for me.

I find it curious that Homeseer states that the hub should not be behind a firewall.

Comment

Eman Thank you for your response. I have my network set up by someone who does that for a living and he manages the firewall for me.

I find it curious that Homeseer states that the hub should not be behind a firewall.

No, no, not at all is that stated. There are situations when they ask you to turn off the firewall when they are troubleshooting and that's when using Windows. And it's the Windows (software) Firewall which is implied. The router firewall should be in place at all times (protects you from bad actors on the internet)

The router as whole (hardware) is the Firewall

Eman.

Comment

This is exactly what Homeseer tech support wrote to me:

BEGIN TEXT:
            I'm glad to hear that your system is up and running again, firewalls can cause issues with the software. We do not recommend using HS4 in such a network, as the software is intended for simpler networks like what are found in most homes.

If you would like to use your SEL behind your firewall, I recommend checking on the forum to see if others may have set something like that up. We do not offer networking support on the help desk, unfortunately.
            END TEXT

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
              HomeSeer doesn’t suck. I have run it reliably since January 2014. In fact my system has had 100% uptime for over 3 years, since an SSD failed in 2018 (not HomeSeer’s fault) and before that there were a few issues in 2014 - all resolved. 2015-2018 with no down time.

A little more information would allow us to help. What do you run HomeSeer on? Windows or Linux, on HomeSeer hardware or your own. If HomeSeer is it a Raspberry Pi or a compact PC?
              Hi Randy,

What is your solution for updating your system without any downtime?

---
              John

Comment

This is exactly what Homeseer tech support wrote to me:

BEGIN TEXT:
                I'm glad to hear that your system is up and running again, firewalls can cause issues with the software. We do not recommend using HS4 in such a network, as the software is intended for simpler networks like what are found in most homes.

If you would like to use your SEL behind your firewall, I recommend checking on the forum to see if others may have set something like that up. We do not offer networking support on the help desk, unfortunately.
                END TEXT
                That personnel might have been unfamiliar with networking and of course they assumed such because you use an Enterprise router at home but that's the choice you took and have to live with it. All that said, it does work if you set it up correctly...

I will post again about the UniFi System, it's user friendly but the principles are the same...You have to learn/understand what you are doing.

Eman.

Comment

Eman I clearly understand that I need to learn/understand what I am doing. You don't need to repeat yourself.

The unit has been working on this network for several years. I had/have no reason to believe the issue is with the firewall.

Comment

Eman I clearly understand that I need to learn/understand what I am doing. You don't need to repeat yourself.

The unit has been working on this network for several years. I had/have no reason to believe the issue is with the firewall.
                    And of course I understand your point of view but what am trying to remove is what I call the "blame" game.
                    • It's also a human right not to know everything, in other words not all IT professionals (in this case HST) know Networking and hence your post at #20
                    • But a Network Admin would be able to wire a Home Automation environment...and all that said, if you take your heart at it, it's so structured to understand that anyone can do it, I guess...
                    • For someone doing your Home Automation for you must at least be family if you are to look after the pennies... if you know what I mean

Now, going back to the basics I would suggest for you and your Network Admin to watch these videos to take you to that aha! moment... of I can do that!

: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ElI8QeYbZQ
                    : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz3u6E3Fxi8&t=339s or even that whole entire page is full of goodies : https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ou+iot+network

Note : That's what I call the bigger picture and not a diversion as others would in other terms call "Off-Topic"...Learn to do your own stuff and in the long run it will save you ton of money...

Tip: I sketch and write things down in all projects I do in case I have to remind my self of...who the hell did that? ...You get the picture?...

Now you know what to do...Start with the router, by following up all the connections, settings (Static IP for HomeSeer is a must)...etc

Eman.

Comment

Originally posted by John245 View Post

Hi Randy,

What is your solution for updating your system without any downtime?

---
                      John
                      Probably the wrong term. No downtime due to software crashes or other software issues. Other than a SSD failure, no hardware failures. Certainly there are planned shutdowns for O/S and HS updates.

HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

It also would be helpful to know which homeseer system you actually have. If your not sure take a picture and post it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dweber85rc View Post
                          It also would be helpful to know which homeseer system you actually have. If your not sure take a picture and post it up.
                          The hint was at post #20 if you we're following up...

The question is, what's will happen when that device needs updating?...

Else, I have looked at the Stickies here : https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...-area/how-to-s and there isn't one for "How To Connect Your HomeSeer Hub To A Network" (Any Network...)

Like as indicated by the OP, by the should I say Policy Statement below in quotes :

If you would like to use your SEL behind your firewall, I recommend checking on the forum to see if others may have set something like that up. We do not offer networking support on the help desk, unfortunately
                          In other words "help" need not apply... Or they are not liable...

Eman.

Comment

Working...
                          X