Any Chance of Modes or Equivalent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Chance of Modes or Equivalent

I was wondering if there is a PI or anything else that would simulate modes? They can be very useful because you can associate a time with modes such as Day, Evening, Night and a really useful one is Away. So you can have (ex.) Day start at 6AM, Evening at 6PM, Night at 11PM. The Away is useful in only allowing an event to run if the mode is Away. Those examples are just a few. You can literally create as many as you want to do many things.

Anyone know of a way to do this? Thanks

Yes,
    You can create virtual devices and base your events on them (give them your mode names)

Tracking Occupancy in HomeSeer with a Virtual Device

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mamsNIfeEc&t=22s

Eman.

TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

+1 for using virtual devices. I currently have mode devices for house along with several individual rooms.

If <trigger> AND IF House_Mode is "Away" then <Action>
      "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

I use two virtual devices. The first is occupancy mode. Away is triggered by fences on our phones. When both of us are away it is Away. If either of us comes home and it was Away or Vacation it moves to Home Awake. Home Asleep is triggered manually when we go to bed. Home Awake is set from Home Asleep based on our schedule or can be manually initiated from several locations. Each mode has different lighting and power routines.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CAE9A07D-2529-43C1-BB26-A81BA0B4C978.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	9.9 KB ID:	1489175

The second device is lighting mode. We have Night Asleep and Night Awake, controlled by time of day and the sleep mode above. We have Twilight AM and Twilight PM because we handle some lighting differently in the morning and the evening. Twilight is generally about 30 minutes each side of sunrise and sunset. This provides a transition step between night and day for lighting automatic levels. Then we have Daytime and Low Light. Low Light is a daytime mode for heavy cloud cover where we might want some interior lights on and motion controlled lighting in the basement to be active.

Click image for larger version  Name:	80D7E012-A07A-4C55-AB78-E6959055DB8A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	9.6 KB ID:	1489176

When the lighting mode is Asleep, we can turn the lights on in any room and they are very dim. This is wonderful for a bathroom stop in the middle of the night.

Using the combination of these two virtual devices in events for lighting, HVAC, power and security. When we are home lighting is controlled by schedule, activity, motion, etc. When we are away, lighting is on schedule and randomized.

We also have an iBeacon in every vehicle that lets the system know ho arrived or left in which vehicle. If I arrive in either of the vehicles we park in the garage, the door opens for me. If I arrive on my motorcycle, on foot or someone else’s car, it doesn’t open. When we both leave the house, door locks are checked and security is set.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by Eman View Post
          Yes,
          You can create virtual devices and base your events on them (give them your mode names)

Tracking Occupancy in HomeSeer with a Virtual Device

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mamsNIfeEc&t=22s

Eman.
          Awesome. A few minor changes to the steps for HS4 but was able to create them. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
            +1 for using virtual devices. I currently have mode devices for house along with several individual rooms.

If <trigger> AND IF House_Mode is "Away" then <Action>
            Thanks, I always forget about virtual devices.

Comment

randy Wow, you have a very sophisticated system. But I can see by your examples how you can create as many as you need to control any situation. The only issue is I really don't have anything to trigger an event. All I have is my phone at the moment. Not sure how to use it. Thanks

randy
              Away is triggered by fences on our phones
              How are you currently doing this? I used to have life360 but not accurate enough.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
                randy Wow, you have a very sophisticated system. But I can see by your examples how you can create as many as you need to control any situation. The only issue is I really don't have anything to trigger an event. All I have is my phone at the moment. Not sure how to use it. Thanks

randy

How are you currently doing this? I used to have life360 but not accurate enough.
                I’m still using GeoFency and PHLocation. It still works very reliably. When we lost iCloud location services I switched to FollowMee for position. Life360 seems accurate to me, but is very slow sometimes. FollowMee and iCloud position reports are also slower than GeoFency entry/exit.

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                  I’m still using GeoFency and PHLocation. It still works very reliably. When we lost iCloud location services I switched to FollowMee for position. Life360 seems accurate to me, but is very slow sometimes. FollowMee and iCloud position reports are also slower than GeoFency entry/exit.
                  Thanks Randy. I looked into GeoFency and it doesn't appear to be available anymore. The double whammy is that I don't see PHLocation in the PI area anymore also. I will have to keep looking or just go with life360. Looks like Life360 costs now.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post

Thanks Randy. I looked into GeoFency and it doesn't appear to be available anymore. The double whammy is that I don't see PHLocation in the PI area anymore also. I will have to keep looking or just go with life360. Looks like Life360 costs now.
                    GeoFency is iOS only. Do you have an iPhone?
                    PHLocation was never in the PI list. It was always installed through an override file. It is still on Paul’s website linked in this post. Unfortunately the updater override file is in HS3 format, but it still could be installed using the legacy plug-in Manager. HS4 requires a JSON format for the override file.

Comment

I've been using HSBuddy for Geofences for a couple of years now and it has worked very well for us. Android phones, HS4. It worked with HS3 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevb View Post
                        I've been using HSBuddy for Geofences for a couple of years now and it has worked very well for us. Android phones, HS4. It worked with HS3 as well.
                        I will take a look at HSBuddy. I just got the old smartthings arrival sensor to come into Jowihue so I am testing it's accuracy. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                          GeoFency is iOS only. Do you have an iPhone?
                          PHLocation was never in the PI list. It was always installed through an override file. It is still on Paul’s website linked in this post. Unfortunately the updater override file is in HS3 format, but it still could be installed using the legacy plug-in Manager. HS4 requires a JSON format for the override file.
                          No I don't have an IPhone, just Androids here.

Comment

I use beacons in our cars along with mcsMQTT beacon support to set home vs. away. This one in particular is nice because you can tune the signal strength to adjust the proximity range. The secondary button is also nice to manually set "away" if my wife and I leave in the same car. My wife loves the fact that the alarm gets disabled automagically when she drives up the driveway.
                            "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
                              I use beacons in our cars along with mcsMQTT beacon support to set home vs. away. This one in particular is nice because you can tune the signal strength to adjust the proximity range. The secondary button is also nice to manually set "away" if my wife and I leave in the same car. My wife loves the fact that the alarm gets disabled automagically when she drives up the driveway.
                              I have no knowledge of mcsMQTT so I am not sure how they work with mcsMQTT and HS4. Is there a thread somewhere where they explain how they connect to each other? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X