Device Envy. What's Normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Device Envy. What's Normal?

So I just read post # 14 and LOL'd a bit: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...on#post1489985. Then I though "I wonder what is normal."

I know there really is a "normal" - HS3/4 is basically a giant blank white board just waiting for its owner to fill it with whatever cool stuff they can dream up. My WAF has both improved and taken a hit.

She loves the automation, and especially the ability to easily and the (mostly) intuitive way devices can be controlled both locally and remotely. But when I get into my mad scientist mode while trying to get something new/creative to work, well the sideways looks begin.

It feels like I've created a monster with 921 devices, 312 events and 100+ scripts. Of those devices only 98 are physical devices: 64 Z-Wave and 34 WiFi/Ethernet. Add to that well over 30 HSTouch screens running on each of the 10 clients here.

I suspect that this number is just average.

Is anyone else willing to share what's under their home automation hood?

I have about 1200 devices and 700 events. The physical devices are mostly light switches, door/window contacts, and motion sensors, but there are also weather related devices, audio devices, sprinkler zones, power monitors for electric usage, HVAC, etc. Many of the devices were generated by plug-ins, but I do not actually use all of them.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I guess I am a light weight at 345 devices and about 75 events!

Comment

In terms of home automation there is “remote control” and then there is “smart home”. They are completely different concepts. Remote control is not smart, but rather the ability to remotely control the home. It is a fun topic at the Consumer Electronics Show to discuss these concepts as many people get this confused.

A home is only smart when it can take actions by itself. That sort of logic requires automations, events, and the sorts.

Food for thought.
        HomeSeer 2, HomeSeer 3, Allonis myServer, Amazon Alexa Dots, ELK M1G, ISY 994i, HomeKit, BlueIris, and 6 "4k" Cameras using NVR, and integration between all of these systems. Home Automation since 1980.

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post
          In terms of home automation there is “remote control” and then there is “smart home”. They are completely different concepts. Remote control is not smart, but rather the ability to remotely control the home. It is a fun topic at the Consumer Electronics Show to discuss these concepts as many people get this confused.

A home is only smart when it can take actions by itself. That sort of logic requires automations, events, and the sorts.

Food for thought.
          Very True

Comment

Before signing off and depending on whatever you choose, consider a job well done by listening to this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLMOlJYssms&t=86s In other words, it's not how bloated a system is but structured...

The entertainment video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azNK_Tgkb30

Eman.
            TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

I've always viewed my HS system as the "glue" that keeps the house going. Sunrise/Sunset based lighting and well as event driven automations, tracking, and reminders. Data visualization has always been something my wife likes since she's an accountant.

Manual Lighting and HVAC systems have to keep working, even if HS in not running.

I have:

626 Devices of which 187 are physical devices.
              528 Events
              313 Scripts called from Events, mostly device value changes. Many of these do somewhat complex calculations

EDIT: I should have added that many of my scripts are being replaced by AND IF Conditions using "Mode" Virtual Devices or with EasyTrigger Action Expressions.
              "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
                Data visualization has always been something my wife likes since she's an accountant.
                Be still my heart... you're a lucky man

Comment

Originally posted by TC1 View Post

Be still my heart... you're a lucky man
                  She keeps me honest. I have to think through some of the projects I want to do since I expect to have to provide a proposed budget with ROI. My "toy" purchases are sometimes questioned but usually only with a "What's that for?". The iBeacon in her car that gets detected when she drives up the driveway and disarms the alarm was a big hit.
                  "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post

She keeps me honest. I have to think through some of the projects I want to do since I expect to have to provide a proposed budget with ROI. My "toy" purchases are sometimes questioned but usually only with a "What's that for?". The iBeacon in her car that gets detected when she drives up the driveway and disarms the alarm was a big hit.
                    The justification part would drive me crazy (hey, we like our toys) but the fact she's all about the data... speaks to the engineer in me. I had to show my wife *why* I wanted to automate the bathroom exhaust fans because of the excess moisture that was lingering because everyone was shutting them off too soon. I had charts and graphs from accumulated humidity and temperature data over several days...

Enjoy!

Comment

I have 369 devices (most must be child devices through plugins, some are virtual) and 99 events. Smallish 1300 sq ft house. Some is automation (geofence - lights, hvac, notifications when appliances are done) and some for ease of control, especially voice control. Whatever makes life easier for us, or you!

Comment

Originally posted by Krumpy View Post

Food for thought.
                        I think you missed this part of my post:
                        Originally posted by jgreenberg01 View Post
                        She loves the automation, and especially the ability to easily and the (mostly) intuitive way devices can be controlled both locally and remotely...
                        What's wrong with having both? One can have "Smart Home" automation and interesting/cool ways to control everything directly. Besides, when you show your friends, relatives, and neighbors the cool stuff, that can actually recruit more people into the HA world.

Anywho, I just wanted to see if there's an average number of events, devices, etc.

Comment

Here , I rent an appartement (5 1/2) . I think hs4 added something like 180-200 devices.(root)
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X