Alexa Announcements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alexa Announcements

I submitted a feature request to be able to do announcement through Alexa using events. I just saw that HS has this marked as resolved. However, I can't see that feature. How do I use this?

That is HS way of say its provided via other means. Jon00 add-in (not plugin) Jon00VoiceMonkeyHS3_HS4 allows you to do it. Then there is the Node Red option. HS customer service skills leave a lot to desire.

Comment

The mcsMQTT Plugin also allows announcements via VoiceMonkey to Alexa devices

Comment

I'm using node-red for this and it's working very well

Comment

Originally posted by Kevb View Post
          I'm using node-red for this and it's working very well
          Which contrib are you using? Do you have to run a flow on a regular basis to keep it connected with Alexa? Can be run using a recurring trigger. If yes, how often does it run?
          Karl S
          HS4Pro on Windows 10
          1070 Devices
          56 Z-Wave Nodes
          104 Events
          HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
          Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

I am using the "cake-baked" alexa contrib using "proxy method"- credentials are saved on the hard drive. A previous contrib would break, I think it was "alexa2" or something. I'm not a programmer, so I just followed the directions very carefully, but now can't recall where those directions / threads are located. It's been great, there's only been a glitch if the computer (with both HS and NR running on it) restarts and NodeRed starts before HS for some reason. Normally, HS starts first, then NR is a delayed start.

Comment

I wish there was a built in option for Alexa announcements. I use the node-red method, but it's constantly failing (I have to re-deploy every few days)

Comment

Originally posted by MFULLER View Post
                I wish there was a built in option for Alexa announcements. I use the node-red method, but it's constantly failing (I have to re-deploy every few days)
                So have you tried Voice Monkey? https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...r-3-homeseer-4
                Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post
                  I have! It worked really well initially but stopped working when the skill disabled itself for some reason. I need to re-set it up.

Comment

That seems to happen but only once after setup. Something between VM and Amazon.
                    Jon

Comment

Originally posted by MFULLER View Post
                      Which contrib are you using? I had this happen with "alexa2", but the "cake-baked" one has been stable. There is a specific way to replace contribs in node-red, which I don't recall. Hope you get it figured out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevb View Post
                        Which contrib are you using? I had this happen with "alexa2", but the "cake-baked" one has been stable. There is a specific way to replace contribs in node-red, which I don't recall. Hope you get it figured out.
                        Can you elaborate on this? I had the same issue as MFULLER and basically gave up quite a while ago. It worked for a while and then simply stopped working. Since HS is pretty much refusing to add this BASIC functionality I am interested how to get this working reliably. I need to check out Jon00's solution, too.

Comment

There is a newer "contrib" to Node Red called Alexa Cakebake. It builds upon the Alexa Remote2 contrib which was used in earlier thread and posts to handle various Alexa items via Node Red. The older contrib has some "issue" where you needed to restablish the connection on a regular basis. Most people just set up a short flow to do this and had it automatically run every couple hours. It appears this new contrib has resolved that.

Apparently Instructions can be found here for moving from one contrib to a forked update. I have not done this yet.
                          Karl S
                          HS4Pro on Windows 10
                          1070 Devices
                          56 Z-Wave Nodes
                          104 Events
                          HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
                          Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Working...
                          X