Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double Sensors

Hey,
    I have some Zwave door sensors from HS and occasionally they fail to detect an open/close status. I was hoping to put on a second sensor using a seperate technology and the create a virtual sensor which uses always uses the last transition to set its status.

This might require a couple of events per sensor, but I was wondering if something like this already exists in a plug in (like "EasyTrigger") or script or something else.

Thanks,
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
    Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
    weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

I was less than impressed with the homeseer door sensor I had. It only reported status correctly about half of the time. I would say rather than putting a second sensor just get one that works. I have had good success with the aeotech door window sensors

Comment

+1 on Aeotec Door/Widow Sensor 7. I use both the Surface and Recessed versions.

Roger D

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
        Hey,
        I have some Zwave door sensors from HS and occasionally they fail to detect an open/close status. I was hoping to put on a second sensor using a seperate technology and the create a virtual sensor which uses always uses the last transition to set its status.

This might require a couple of events per sensor, but I was wondering if something like this already exists in a plug in (like "EasyTrigger") or script or something else.

Thanks,
        wpiman,
        It could be your sensor that is not communicating properly(What make/model are you using?). It could be how it's mounted(ie. spacing marginal). Or most likely it's your z-wave communications from the sensor is weak. In any case a second sensor is not a good solution-you will still have "misses"--you need to make it work reliably. I have many wireless z-wave door/window and motion sensors and in years of operation I have never seen a "miss".

Dweber85rc and Roger D,
        Could you post the battery life you are seeing on the Aeotec Door/Window7 sensor? Battery manufacturer you have used?

Comment

Originally posted by BobSpen View Post

wpiman,
          It could be your sensor that is not communicating properly(What make/model are you using?). It could be how it's mounted(ie. spacing marginal). Or most likely it's your z-wave communications from the sensor is weak. In any case a second sensor is not a good solution-you will still have "misses"--you need to make it work reliably. I have many wireless z-wave door/window and motion sensors and in years of operation I have never seen a "miss".

Dweber85rc and Roger D,
          Could you post the battery life you are seeing on the Aeotec Door/Window7 sensor? Battery manufacturer you have used?

I am using the HS DS100+. I have Zwave plus repeatable with 10 feet LOS of all of them. I haven’t look recently but the zwave tool showed all my sensors in the green.

The gap is pretty close on them. One is definitely worst than the others and I think the way the magnet approaches might make a difference.

i had some recessed monoprice ones at one point. Those were hot or miss as well. Maybe I will try the aeotech series 7 onces.

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

One more thing you might look at: Lots of Z-Wave traffic. Too much z-wave traffic can cause misses. Look at your zwavewho page (shows all devices and children) and scan down the page looking at "Polling" an all devices-it should be disabled most often(some older devices need it for battery reporting). Also make sure you do not use frequent polling in Events which can clog up the network. There are many other techniques others use to "calm" the air space, but quiet is good!

Comment

BobSpen,

For batteries, I usually take the OEM batteries out and keep them for test purposes and replace them with Duracell right off the bat. As far as longevity, all I can say is they have been fantastic. I have the sensors paired with a 700 series interface which allows me to get the longest life out of my batteries. I have also turned off the LED so it's not blinking every time the door is opened as well as increased the times for the wake up interval and timed battery reports which can make also make a difference in battery life.

Comment

I believe mine are all aeotech g5 sensors. Battery life is good, brand doesn't seem to matter

Comment

Originally posted by BobSpen View Post
                  One more thing you might look at: Lots of Z-Wave traffic. Too much z-wave traffic can cause misses. Look at your zwavewho page (shows all devices and children) and scan down the page looking at "Polling" an all devices-it should be disabled most often(some older devices need it for battery reporting). Also make sure you do not use frequent polling in Events which can clog up the network. There are many other techniques others use to "calm" the air space, but quiet is good!
                  Good idea. I always paid extra for the instant status devices (when that was a costly feature) for that reason. I had not checked for polling in ages.

I took a look and for some reason, a handful of devices had polling set every 20m plus a few seconds on their devices. I never changed this.. so I guess it must have happened when I added devices? It would be like a motion sensor on a device is polled every 20m 10 sec, the temperature sensor every 20m 20 seconds and so forth. This was something like a HSM200. Others had zero polling. Also, some of the HS Flood sensors had polling set as well which is odd because they must be manually woken up.

Like the sensor in question has its battery polled every 12 hours. Seems odd. It doesn't listen.

Anyways, I removed all of those pollings that weren't battery related.

I went to the questionable sensor and mucked with it. Magnet looks very tight. I notice occasionally though the blue light seems "delayed" when I open it.

I see Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 9.30.03 PM.png
Views:	120
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	1491075

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

Working...
                  X