Help! Issue with HS3 Not Working/SmartStick+ Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Issue with HS3 Not Working/SmartStick+ Issue

I’ve had an HS3 system running for about 5 years with very few issues. I have the most current version of HS3 running on a dedicated Windows 10 server that is fully patched/updated. There are about 75 physical devices, mostly HS dimmers, switches, outlets and lamp controllers. I know I need to upgrade to HS4 will upgrade to HS4, but things have been very settled so I haven’t wanted to mess with it.

One evening about a week ago I noticed that my nighttime events hadn’t run. I restarted HS3 and everything worked fine again. The next morning I noticed my morning events hadn’t run. Again, I restarted HS3 and things were fine again. I continue to have to restart HS3 for the system to work but it eventually fails. I’m not positive, but I suspect my SmartStick+ may be the culprit. When things are “down” I am able to connect to HS3 from the web interface, but I cannot control devices. If I restart HS3 I can control devices again until things go “down.” I have replaced the SmartStick+ extension cable and changed USB server ports but it doesn’t seem to make a difference.

1. Is there a way to diagnose SmartStick+?
    2. Should I try resetting or deleting and reinstalling the SmartStick+?
    3. The HS store appears to be out of the SmartStick+. Can anyone recommend an alternative? Will the Z-Net interface be a better solution?

Any help or guidance will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Dave

Originally posted by lodi View Post
    I
    Any help or guidance will be much appreciated.
    What does the hs system log say? The log may further indicate if your smartstick is failing or not.

Comment

The log shows 2 errors.

Comment

The log shows 2 errors.

Comment

I've found that in troubleshooting gremlins with the SmartStick+ a restart or even reboot sometimes won't fix it. What does fix it, and others have reported the same, is a power off restart. Or at least bringing down HS, unplugging the SmartStick to remove power to it, count to 5, plug it back in and restart HS.

I haven't tried the above as I normally just issue the shutdown command from upstairs, and by the time I get downstairs the server has powered off. I then unplug the SmartStick as USB still supplies phantom power even when powered off, do the 5 count, plug it back in and then power on the machine.

Fixes it for me every time. Since I've been restarting the Z-Wave plugin using Jon00's restart plugin every 3 hours, I haven't had to do the above for about 3 months now.

But when it did hang, the above was the only thing that got it to respond and become stable again.

Give it a try, what have you got to loose?

Comment

George, I have unplugged smartstick, changed ports, restarted the server, etc. I get the same behavior. It will work for a while then it stops communicating with my devices. I will look into Jon00's plugin. I was not aware of it. I think I will also replace the smartstick and see if this solves it. This is the fist issue that has stumped me so far. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X