com ports over 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

com ports over 8

any idea why i cant seem to use com ports higher than 8 on homeseer? my com ports go upto 10 but i dotn seem to be able to acess them after 8
    detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Hi CBL,

I don't have an answer off hand, but I wonder what the output device is that enables you to know com10 doesn't work?

Shawn

Comment

trying to open com port 10 for my 3rd line caller id unit, it says the port is already in use, yet i checked and it isnt nothing i casn do will get it to open, yet i can open if just fine with a comms program and look at the port

I am opening it exactly the same way as I open the other comms ports.
      detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

It sounds to me like you're using OpenCOMPort to open the port. For ports above 8 you have to use OpenCOMPortEX. Take a look in the homeseer help file.

George

Comment

Check your help documentation for OpenComPortEx.

Comment

Opencomportex is required
            See
            http://forums.homeseer.com/showthrea...=opencomportex

Kevin

Comment

aaah, well trying that i am STILL getting an invalid port #, here is my code:

Sub Init()
              dim ret
              dim vTerminator
              dim cport1
              dim cResourse1
              dim cFunc1
              dim cScript
              dim cTerminator
              dim cConfig
              dim cMode
              cPort1 = 11
              cResource1 = 1
              cFunc1 = "CallBackLine1"
              cScript = "NetCID.txt" ' this file
              cTerminator = 13 ' Carriage return
              cConfig = "4800,N,8,1" ' Baud,Parity,Data bits, Parity bits
              cMode = 1

vTerminator = chr(cTerminator)

ret = hs.OpenComPortEx(cPort1,cConfig,cMode,cScript,cFunc1,vTermin ator,cResource1)
              'hs.SetComPortRTSDTR cPort1,TRUE,TRUE ' Set DTR & RTS on
              hs.WriteLog "NetCID 1","Initialized Ret: " & ret & " :"

End Sub

if i try to change the resource i either get "Invalid port #" or "Port already open"

I am assuming i can use say both com 2 and com 11 at the same time if com 11 is maopped to com 2 right??

Comment

HS can only open a maximum of eight com ports. If you have any other ports open they may already be using resource 1.

It may help to think of resources as "virtual com ports". You still only get eight open at once with HS. So you may need to try different resource numbers to find an un-used one. Just start at 1 and try each resource number thru 8. Leave the comport number set to 11.
                Bruce

"The universal answer is 42."

Comment

aaaah ok that makes sense, problem is it would seem i need most of these com ports open all the time as they are watching for incoming data, be it from the 1 wire interface or the rf receiver ect.

mutter mutter mutter

Comment

The last post in the thread I referenced was from Rick

"No, but if people with 8 COM ports in use start submitting feature requests, we can add it to the list. It would not be too hard to add, but we just have not heard of more than 8 ports being needed by anybody yet."

Maybe in HS 2?
                    Kevin

Comment

Yes. I'm really hoping that HS 2.0 will allow more than 8 ports.

Comment

Not more than 8 ports - let me count what I already have.

WGL800
                        TI103 X10
                        NetCID x 2

Thats 4 already in use by HS.

Equipment waiting to be installed (never enough time).

Custom serial Input board x 2
                        Custom Relay output board
                        A/V switcher

Thats a total of eight already.

If HS 2.0 supports more than 8 ports then I'm prolly ok because I think I'm gonna upgrade. I want the multi-tasking of scripts bad enough to pay for the upgrade.

If it doesn't it should be upgraded in both 1.7 & 2.0
                        Bruce

Comment

Bruce,

The ports used by your TI103, WGL800 don't count toward the 8 limitation because plugings generally don't use opencomport. I can personally vouch that the TI103 plugin directly opens the com port and does not use one of the resources. I think OMAN's WGL800 also does. I'm not sure how the NETCID handles the port.

So, if you take the TI103 and WGL800 out of your list then you still should be ok. If the AVswitcher is the AB8SS you can ask on the AB8SS forum if he uses opencomport in his code or if he also directly opens the comm port in his plugin. If so, that's another one off the list and you've got more com ports open than you can shake a stick at!

George

Comment

Thanks George. For the NetCID I run my own script so those do count.
                            The 2 input boards and the output board will prolly be a custon script.
                            Not sure yet on the AV switcher if that will be script or custom program.
                            All told the worst I have then is 6. So I should be ok.
                            Bruce

Comment

Working...
                            X