Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 way check box on homeseer

Ok, someone explain this to me.

I have mostly 2 way x10 light switches, this means they transmit when they change state. what exactly does checking the 2 way box on the device on homeseer do?

does homeseer then verify the state and if it hasnt changed send the on or off command again?

what is the step by step instruction withing homeseer of the 2 way stuff ?
    detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Zac,
    Where is this 2 way checkbox?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Rupp:

Go to Device Properties, and where it says Device type overrides there is the checkbox.

College: If you click the check button, Homeseer will search and find out if your switch is a 2 way or not. I would assume it is polling the switch to see if it is a switchlinc 2-way. I also think it is done so when you poll your 2 way switches {(Control-G) Get Device Status} ,Homeseer knows which switches to check that are only 2 way.

Comment

Well it must be in a different version of HS than I'm running?
        Attached Files

Comment

"Device supports status response" This must be the 2 way checkbox being discussed.

Comment

it is.

I use switchlins all over, so with the box checked what EXACTLY does it do ? Is it just a pretty check box ? or does it instruct homeseer to do soemthing differnt? like get the status of the switch every x mins?
            detail of setup in profile. Link to videos of my projects there as well. Over 300 scripts running every min and counting

Comment

The docs are not 100% specific about it. I don't think homeseer does anything automatically with it. The purpose is to:
              1) Have it documented with the device for scripts and plugins
              2) Provide a place to validate the 2 way behavior

If you are using switchlinc, my guess is you use that control (above "device supports 2 way..." and this one doesnt matter.

I recently switched a supersocket (1 way appliance) to a 2 way appliance. When I plugged it in, nothing. When I pressed the "check" button, the check box filled itself in, and the device updated to "on". Out of the box, the appliance module must be on. No other behavior changes for homeseer. What should it do? See what I mean. Like other status items, your scripts will dictate this.

To use the 2 way features, I have had to use scripting.

Paul
              Last edited by pbibm; December 29, 2004, 11:08 AM.
              Paul

Comment

ok shame homeseer dosnt use it more as I am guessing a lot of people use the 2 way devices for better reliability.

what scripts did you make to ensure basically the status of the switch when switched locally and also to ensure the switch received the signal when homeseer sent it?

Comment

I use PollDevice(), and the watch the status of the device to see if it changes.

This method is not as ideal as watching for the return code. Ideally I should watch for the return message X10 command from the switch. ExecX10 I think is ultimately the way to go, yet one more tweak on a pile of mostly finished X10 scripts. Are theyever done?????

Functionally it has worked out good. I have 2 different areas in my house where commands just don't fire sometimes. This way I can check and log.

Paul
                  Paul

Comment

I have a script that launches shortly after HS starts up (like on server reboot or power failure) to go through and poll the 2-way devices. I have the script checking this flag to see if it is 2-way capable and if so, then I execute the PollDevice() function. I had to do some creative waits in the script because on its own, PollDevice was not reliable.

At least this way, HS only tries to check status of devices it expects to get a response from. And, it allows me to startup with where devices are currently set, rather than setting them to what HS last set (local control).

I wish the 2-way setting did a little more as well, but then I wish HS had better support for the SwitchLinc's overall - including true Scene support where HS would detect a scene being set and internally set the devices that are part of that scene to their programmed status.

Comment

Lee,

Would you post your polling script? I just installed a dozen 2 way switches and would be interested in checking the status of these devices upon startup.

Thanks...

Comment

gelessor,
                        All you need in a script is a series of the following:
                        sub main()
                        hs.PollDevice "A1"
                        hs.PollDevice "A2"
                        hs.PollDevice "A3"
                        end sub

Guys your switches should be reporting their status when turned on and off. This status should remain correct in HS unless you have it shut down for long periods of time.

Comment

more on switchlinc

I installed a few LAMPLINC 2-WAY PLUG-IN DIMMER W/SCENES, 400W (2-PIN) and the status that get transmitted back is on a different X 10 address than the module address. for example g1 ON turns lamp ON with an A1 ON sent back .... I guess I have to do a factory reset or find out more how this happened ?

The local turn lamp on at bulb also sends back an A1 ON on the powerline.

I have something mixed up and have not found the fix.

Suggestions or information ?

Richard
                          HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.258

Comment

SwitchLink 2-Way Polling Script

Originally posted by gelessor
                            Lee,

Would you post your polling script? I just installed a dozen 2 way switches and would be interested in checking the status of these devices upon startup.

Thanks...

Attached is the polling script. As my configuration seems to always be somewhat in flux with me adding devices and moving things around occasionally, I decided a script was better than a static list of devices to poll.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Lee. Looks great!

Comment

Working...
                              X