Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using Zooz ZEN16 with three speed Whole House fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Zooz ZEN16 with three speed Whole House fan?

Any reason this shouldn't work, and does this wiring configuration make sense?

Seems like 15A, 15A, 20A is plenty on the relay even for higher startup amp draw for a whole house fan.

Specs:

Watts:

Hi: 408 / Med: 225 / Low: 73.9

Amps:

Hi: 5.16 / Med: 3.00 / Low: 1.07

Seems like I could connect High, Medium, Low, wires each to one side of the switch, connect ground and Neutral wires directly to power, and split the Hot into three wires and send one to each of the three connectors.

This is the fan I have: https://quietcoolsystems.com/docs/qc...21-Updated.pdf

The current wiring setup is like page 17 diagram 4.3B.

With the ZEN 16, I think I could wire it thus:

White to White Neutral
    Green to Bare Ground
    Split Black Hot wire into three wires
    Wire one hot wire to one side of each of the three switches
    Wire each wire (Blue, Yellow, Red) to the other side of each of the three switches

Seems like it should work fine, yes?

Originally posted by Schly View Post
    Any reason this shouldn't work, and does this wiring configuration make sense?

Seems like 15A, 15A, 20A is plenty on the relay even for higher startup amp draw for a whole house fan.

Specs:

Watts:

Hi: 408 / Med: 225 / Low: 73.9

Amps:

Hi: 5.16 / Med: 3.00 / Low: 1.07

Seems like I could connect High, Medium, Low, wires each to one side of the switch, connect ground and Neutral wires directly to power, and split the Hot into three wires and send one to each of the three connectors.

This is the fan I have: https://quietcoolsystems.com/docs/qc...21-Updated.pdf

The current wiring setup is like page 17 diagram 4.3B.

With the ZEN 16, I think I could wire it thus:

White to White Neutral
    Green to Bare Ground
    Split Black Hot wire into three wires
    Wire one hot wire to one side of each of the three switches
    Wire each wire (Blue, Yellow, Red) to the other side of each of the three switches

Seems like it should work fine, yes?
    It should work fine, but you want to connect your fan lines to the “R” connections for relays, not to the switches. If you do connect an external switch to the switch inputs, you want to make sure you cannot have more than 1 relay on at a time. Your HomeSeer event logic also has to have the same constraint.

Click image for larger version  Name:	56728128-89DF-4ECA-9A7C-305CFF4CBAAE.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	159.4 KB ID:	1493049
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
      It should work fine, but you want to connect your fan lines to the “R” connections for relays, not to the switches. If you do connect an external switch to the switch inputs, you want to make sure you cannot have more than 1 relay on at a time. Your HomeSeer event logic also has to have the same constraint.

Click image for larger version Name:	56728128-89DF-4ECA-9A7C-305CFF4CBAAE.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	159.4 KB ID:	1493049
      Thanks for the confirmation. My plan is not to have connected switches and I was clear on hooking loads up to the R sides not the sW sides, but thanks for that.

My plan is to use Voice command via Alexa with scenes to turn the Master switch on the Zooz to "OFF" before ANY scene for the fan is run, then turn on High, Medium, or Low, depending on the Scene choice.

That way, even if a scene is already running, any new scene request will first turn the master switch off, pause for a few seconds, then turn the fan on at a different speed.

Comment

Sounds like it will work.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Here's what the manufacturer says if two contacts are accidentally turned on at the same time:

"Depends on the fan, for the Trident (or Classic), you would cause the capacitor to leak, and for the Stealth (or Energy Saver) you would fry the motor."

So there is clearly some risk. He also said they are working on their own automation, so I should check back in a year. I asked if it would be ZWave compatible and he didn't know.

This fan has a 15 year warranty so I really don't want to damage it and void that.

Comment

Schly,

If you still want to do this, you can use 2 relays made by Functional Devices. The first would be a RIBT24P and the other would be a RIBT242B.

The relays mount at the fan itself.

The ZEN16 can be located anywhere and you only have to run a low voltage 4 conductor 18 AWG cable between the ZEN16 and the fan.

The relays could be powered by the same supply as the ZEN16.

Most importantly, the relays would prevent feedback from one speed to another.

A diagram can be given if interested.

As always, line voltage wiring should only be performed by a qualified Electrician.

Roger D

Comment

Working...
            X