No announcement yet.

Mini-split A/C and Hardwired TStat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've only been using it since May of this year, that is when I finished the mini-split install. It's been solid for me during Spring and Summer, and the plugin developer, stefxx, has been really responsive. Maybe ask the same question on the LG plugin forum. Also, if the plugin does work out you can still go the route of external control thermostats. If works plenty good for my 4 no-car garage. I use it for a work/wood shop.

LG ThinQ (stefxx) - HomeSeer Message Board

Comment

hI RRR thanks for pulling me into this thread. I didn't see it before.

The LG ThinQ plugin does rely on the LG cloud servers. Apart from 2 planned maintenance windows, I haven't seen a single hiccup in the last year or two. And it is amazingly fast as well, any time of day.

It is true that their API is non-public. So theoretically they could change the API at any time rendering the plugin useless. However, when they implemented API v2 they made sure to remain fully compatible with the v1 API. And if things change I will make a reasonable effort to update the plugin as well. But as I am sure you'll understand, no guarantees can be given. For instance, if they implement some kind of (additional) encryption, it might take a while... if ever.

Let me know if there are any questions!
      stefxx

Comment

Thank you @stefxx for jumping in, your words are encouraging.

My preference is Trane because we use them in the homes we build, and @ewkearns found this: https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/620

The only problem is that the product is specific to Australia, and I'm waiting on my Trane rep to respond about a US version. If it exists, this is the perfect solution.

If it's not available, the the LG seems to be the next best way to go, but this statement:
        Originally posted by stefxx View Post
        ...if they implement some kind of (additional) encryption, it might take a while... if ever.
        is my issue with most things wi-fi. Nothing at all to do with you or any PI author, it's just the nature of the beast. In fact, based on the screen shots posted earlier in the thread, you PI looks awesome!

My concern is that if I ever get hit by a falling meteorite, my system needs to continue to chug along, working as expected for my wife.

If I go the LG route, I'll certainly use your PI, but I'll also hardwire in a Z-wave TStat just in case LG screws everyone over, not that a manufacturer would ever do that (I'm looking at you Samsung...).

The question is, who's gonna flip the switch to change from PI control to Tstat control once said meteorite hits?

Comment

Originally posted by RRR View Post
          I've only been using it since May of this year, that is when I finished the mini-split install. It's been solid for me during Spring and Summer, and the plugin developer, stefxx, has been really responsive. Maybe ask the same question on the LG plugin forum. Also, if the plugin does work out you can still go the route of external control thermostats. If works plenty good for my 4 no-car garage. I use it for a work/wood shop.
          Board[/URL]
          Either I'm blind or my google-fu is broken, but can you share the model number please? LG's website isn't showing any ThinQ enabled mini-split units, only portable, window, and thru the wall A/C units.

Comment

Surely.

LMN249HVT - Multi Zone IDU Wall Mount High Efficiency 24kBTU - Wi-Fi comes built in.
            LCN188HV4 (4-Way Ceiling Cassette IDU 18K (Single and Multi Zone)) - I had to add - LG Wi-Fi Module w/ SmartThinQ Compatibility (best price was from SupplyHouse.com)
            Outdoor unit - LMU36CHV - Multi Zone ODU - Multi F CHV Series 34 kBTU

You might be able to get wholesale prices, but I monitored prices while I was researching/figuring it out... and got a 10% discount at the end of 2020 from eComfort | Your HVAC Superstore. Looks like there is another LG sale going on. No I don't work for them...😃

Comment

Mine also came from SupplyHouse.com. Great company to deal with. I installed a Rinnai boiler last year and used them for parts for that installation.

Our multi unit

Our main unit

They just replaced 8 year old versions. The only reason we replaced them is because I was too conservative on sizing my primary unit. I also wanted to use my dry contact thermostats. When I found the plug-in, I went that route instead of interfacing with my thermostats. I may still go to the dry contact interfaces, but for now I am avoiding that expense.
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it! I should have checked the distributer's sites instead. They list ThinQ compatibility while LG's site does not.

I even downloaded installation manuals for 2 different mini-split systems from LG's site and neither had anything about ThinQ or wi-fi. Very strange. Or maybe I should have tried other models.

I'm excited though because I have a way forward even if (when) my Trane rep tells me their units won't support this.

Comment

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Mr. Cool product line, given it is totally DIY. I installed one completely by myself a year ago (I have no HVAC experience) and it works great for heating and cooling (single room install). I did a quick search and found THIS post about interfacing it with HomeSeer (sounds like a work in progress though).
                  --------------------------------------------------
                  **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

Originally posted by BraveSirRobbin View Post
                    I'm surprised nobody mentioned the Mr. Cool product line, given it is totally DIY. I installed one completely by myself a year ago (I have no HVAC experience) and it works great for heating and cooling (single room install). I did a quick search and found THIS post about interfacing it with HomeSeer (sounds like a work in progress though).
                    I looked at the Mr. Cool mini-splits, but I can't find anything that allows for a hardwired TStat.

They can use wi-fi smart TStats but that's what I am trying to avoid. The LG uses wi-fi, but there's a specific ThinQ plug-in for HS3/4.

I'll try that first, but the reason that LG is in the lead at this point is because it has dry contacts for a regular thermostat, or in this case a Z-wave one that I can have complete control over with HS4.

I'm determined to make this happen and have my climate screen ready to go - I just need the right mini-split then I can fill in the empty panels:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_104705.png
Views:	261
Size:	352.8 KB
ID:	1493795

The screenshot is from Designer, everything aligns better on the Android tablets.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BraveSirRobbin View Post
                      Mr. Cool (Mitsubishi) is a very good product, albeit more expensive than many others. They offer a wired thermostat. All of the mini splits are ready for DIY. They come pre-charged with enough refrigerant for a 25 foot line set. All you really need is a vacuum pump that can draw it down to ~500 microns and some nitrogen. If you need to use a longer line set, you will need to add refrigerant, but it is not difficult. Just be careful in your measurements of the line set and your calculations.

I considered the Mr. Cool, but couldn't justify the cost difference. My two units totaled $6300, the same thing in Mr. Cool was $9000. My prior good experience with LG, our other very good LG appliances already using ThinQ and the available plug-in made my decision toward the LG. I do believe Mitsubishi is at the top of the list with regard to quality, but LG is right up there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jgreenberg01 View Post
                        The LG uses wi-fi, but there's a specific ThinQ plug-in for HS3/4.
                        Just to avoid any disappointment; the LG plugin is only available for HS4. There is also a (legacy) HS3 LG plugin from another developer which (as far as I know) only supports Air Conditioners, and only v1 WiFi modules (which I guess are almost obsolete by now).
                        stefxx

Comment

Originally posted by stefxx View Post

Just to avoid any disappointment; the LG plugin is only available for HS4. There is also a (legacy) HS3 LG plugin from another developer which (as far as I know) only supports Air Conditioners, and only v1 WiFi modules (which I guess are almost obsolete by now).
                          Thanks for the proactive disappointment avoidance post.

Apologies for the wrong info in my post, I didn't realize HS3 isn't supported by the PI.

I use HS4 so all is good in my case!

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                            Mr. Cool (Mitsubishi) is a very good product, albeit more expensive than many others. They offer a wired thermostat. All of the mini splits are ready for DIY. They come pre-charged with enough refrigerant for a 25 foot line set. All you really need is a vacuum pump that can draw it down to ~500 microns and some nitrogen. If you need to use a longer line set, you will need to add refrigerant, but it is not difficult. Just be careful in your measurements of the line set and your calculations.

I considered the Mr. Cool, but couldn't justify the cost difference. My two units totaled $6300, the same thing in Mr. Cool was $9000. My prior good experience with LG, our other very good LG appliances already using ThinQ and the available plug-in made my decision toward the LG. I do believe Mitsubishi is at the top of the list with regard to quality, but LG is right up there as well.
                            I don't want to derail the topic, but the Mr. Cool (Generation Three) system I purchased was around $1400 including all accessories (mount, electrical disconnect, etc...) to install it.

Example cost

This was a 12,000 BTU system that operated on single phase 120 VAC. I installed the entire system myself, no technician, no electrician, no vacuum pump, no nitrogen, and no filling of Freon. The beauty of this system is it is totally DIY, you only need a hole saw and adjustable wrench/screwdriver for installation! This price may be a bit higher than other models, but you have to have a professional HVAC installer, or buy the vacuum pump/nitrogen/gauges/flare kit/etc... to install it. If you add all of this (technician time or procuring the additional installation items) I bet you find this system to be a bargain.

They also have many other models, some of which can interface with three separate air handlers.

It came with a WiFi adapter, which I know isn't the optimal interface for the OP, but there was a 'way' to interface this with HomeSeer in my quick research.

A similar LG system with the line set and mount (apples to apples comparison) is around $1000, but again, this does not have the same DIY features as the Mr. Cool. If you have all the equipment (and know how), yes, the LG system is a better price.

Just wanted to clarify my original post.

Regards,

BSR
                            --------------------------------------------------
                            **** Do You "Cocoon"? ****

Comment

The new DIY line is very good indeed. I hadn’t looked at it until now. The quick connect pre charged line sets are a great idea. If you need to go beyond 25 feet, you can add 25 feet more at a time.

Thanks for pointing this out. It would be a great choice for many people. Even though I have the tools and gasses, I would consider this solution were I to install another unit.

What I find interesting is that years ago I believe Mr Cool was a Mitsubishi marketing name. Now it looks like MRCOOL is based out of Kentucky and is selling units they source from China.

Comment

You can integrate any Mitsubishi or Trane (OEM Mitsubishi) mini-split or VRF indoor unit to HS with a T-Stat Interface adapter PAC-US444CN-1 + a 240Vac (primary) to 24Vac (secondary) Xformer + any third-party Z-Wave T-Stat. No cloud service is needed. See attachment.

I'm using a Trane XL624 t-stat (no need to connect to Trane's Nexia Cloud Services). It integrates with Alexa as any other ZW T-stat.

http://mylinkdrive.com/viewPdf?srcUr...-US444CN-1.pdf

https://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-El...0947442&sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.com/TRIAD-MAGNETI...0947534&sr=8-3

Hope this helps.

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X