12V DC connectors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12V DC connectors?

I recently realised that I have a whole lot of 12V devices in my home...
    And I'm planning a little solar/wind generator project that can power them.

It really started with me wanting proper lighting in my attic, and there's no AC outlets up there, so why not go for 12V LEDs... and then figured that a 30W panel and a decent battery would be enough for the little time I spend up there... And then I though, 'but my roller blinds use 12V... the mini PC I bought to run HS4 on - not yet arrived - also runs on 12V, and so on...
    So, there's now 3 x 30W panels on the way, together with a controller...
    (I'm also using the excuse that it's to learn about the tech... )

Now, the problem is that I want to keep things hidden wherever possible, so I need a special connector for 12V outlets in my livingroom, the kitchen, bedroom and hobbyroom.
    If I could hide them behind the fairings around my windows that would be good.
    The fairings are about 10mm thick, so max 8mm thick, preferably even thinner.
    Preferably 2 pin, and impossible to insert the wrong way, or if not, at least blockhead proof (3 or 4pin where I can use the ends as Gnd, and all center pins as +12V)
    And they must be able to handle at least 2A.
    This is for indoors use, of course.
    For outdoors I have waterproof automotive connectors.
    (I have a mini greenhouse on my verandah, and it's too good, so plants cook if summer strikes... It needs automation)

So, can anyone think of something suitable, off the top of their head?

I don't really want to use barrel plugs. Not only are the female ends usually a bit too lumpy to fit in the fairings, but sometimes I have relatives visiting, and...

Something like this maybe?
    https://www.amazon.com/DGZZI-Extensi...3&sr=8-21&th=1

Comment

Not overly fond of the 'unisex' design with one male and one female pin, but yeah, it should fit and do the job, I think.
      I wonder if there's any place I can get just the connectors, to crimp on my own wires.

The 'best' I came across before was JST connectors for batteries in RC models. but they seems to only be available in 'pre-crimped' with 22AWG wire. That's not even close to the wire size I want to use.

Comment

Would automotive products work?
        Accessory Plugs & Sockets (vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk)

Comment

Not those accessory connectors, at least. Effing ****! Poor connection, large and ugly, and my brother is liable to stick his finger in one.

The fairings/moldings/whatever pieces of wood around the windows is 60x10mm or so in cross section.
          I want to hide connectors so there's only a hole in the side(10mm wide) and virtually invisible.

Click image for larger version  Name:	connector.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.3 KB ID:	1493284
          Imagine a rectangular hole in the edge there...

Not my window, just a picture I snagged online and messed with...

I will need to remove these anyway, to get access to the gap beside the windows, to drill up into the attic for the power cables, and my window blinds will be wired through the same wires.
          The cutout to hold the socket properly can be modelled and carved with my CNC Mill for best possible fit.

Comment

Those of us in Ham Radio tend to use Anderson Power Pole connectors for our 12v connections. They can handle 15amps, can be polarized to your liking, and come with a lot of options such as wall mounts. Google "Anderson Power Pole", or https://powerwerx.com/

Comment

This is what the LED Christmas Display folks use for their outdoor connections. Won't work with your indoor requirements, but may for your outdoor needs. Most of these have 3 connections since the LEDs used are addressable and that requires a third wire.
              Karl S
              HS4Pro on Windows 10
              1070 Devices
              56 Z-Wave Nodes
              104 Events
              HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
              Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Maybe XT30 connectors? I think they're about 5mm thick.
                -Wade

Comment

Or the ICX301 is a bit thinner.
                  https://www.tme.com/us/en-us/katalog...1&s_order=desc
                  -Wade

Comment

I've used XT60 connectors before, so I know they are good. Just wasn't aware of the 'little brother'.
                    The ICX301 looks to be just about perfect for my use.
                    It's narrow, keyed so plugging it in wrong is near impossible(I have relatives that takes the word impossible as a challenge), and can handle a pretty decent current.
                    The only drawback is that they're not rated for more than 1000 connect/disconnects. Of course, that's the number the manufacturer can guarrantee. They'll probably last quite a bit longer than that.
                    I may install a few in parallell, and try to not always use the same connector. Or something.

Going to snag me some ICX301 and some regular XT30 connectors online to do a bit of testing.

Outdoors is easy because I already have a large collection of waterproof automotive connectors...
                    (I have an old car... Things break... )

Comment

You can use something like the Zooz Z-Wave Plus S2 MultiRelay and a Zooz 700 Series Z-Wave Plus Mesh Network Remote Control & Scene Controller ZEN34 to control the lights. The truth is that battery powering DC lighting will last twice as long powering the same lights with an AC inverter. It is great idea.

https://www.amazon.com/Network-Contr...0701611&sr=8-3
                      https://www.amazon.com/MultiRelay-ZE...0701611&sr=8-4

Comment

It's attic lights. I was just planning on gluing up some cheap LED strips, and mount a couple of switches next to the hatch.(swings down to reveal a fold down ladder.)
                        If I'm really, really advanced, I'll put a switch on the edge of the opening, so that pulling down the hatch switches on the lights.

Sure, we can make it 'smart', but there's smart, and then there's common sense...

I've mostly used cheap LED lights with 3x AA batteries to light it, and I'm kind of tired of replacing the batteries, particularly on the few that have motion sensors.

Comment

Working...
                        X