All Events and Physical Devices Gone AGAIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Events and Physical Devices Gone AGAIN

So a couple of weeks ago I started redoing my entire HS system (far from done) because a year or so ago all my events and all my physical devices (not the plugin devices) were gone. I thought HS4 is now major enough so I started redoing everything. Unfortunately, the same thing happened again today when I restarted my computer. This time I enabled backup in the HS setup (my backup program doesn't backup stuff in Program Files which is why I lost everything the first time around). I back up some 10 days daily so I can use the "Restore Data" function as mentioned in the link below. However, before I do that I wanted to see if anybody has some input about a better/safer approach. I know there was this file in the HS4 directory that becomes corrupted but both events.json and events.json.bak have the same size and a timestamp that is just 1 minute apart. Then there are still all the z-wave devices. I opened a ticket with HS but I also wanted to see if anybody else has some input because I want to do everything to I have not start from scratch again.

https://docs.homeseer.com/display/HS...store+a+Backup

Why not use the HS4 auto backup and then move the files to a safe place? What hardware are you running HS4 on?
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Well, I am using the Tools->Backup/Restore->Auto backup with the new HS4 installation with daily backup (max 15 backups). The point of the post was that I wanted to see if there is anything I should consider before doing a restore. Anything I could do wrong? I added some events yesterday and changed some device name (because they don't show floor/room so I have multiple devices with the same name when going into events) but I am fine if I just lost those changes. I just want to make sure I do nothing wrong going back lets say 2 days ago. Almost anything making sure I don't have to start from scratch again.

Comment

mulu ,

Are you by any chance using the power failure?..

Click image for larger version  Name:	Power Failure.png Views:	0 Size:	101.2 KB ID:	1493290

Not sure if you do but if you do think hard before implementing because for sure if you think hard about it's not really necessary or may be outdated because if the Apps/Plug-ins were operating in Sandbox why would you then want to keep records of past Events only to reapply them should you then have had power cuts?... The big picture : https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...events-actions (not a diversion but an outlook on the behind the scenes/under the hood)

If misconstrued then ...My bad!

Eman.
        TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

What OS are you running? I run HS4 on Windows 10 Pro and use the built-in backup utility and keep a 60 day running file history of the entire Homeseer HS4 directory. Prior to Windows 10 I used Acronis Backup and it had no problems backing up a directory within Program Files.
          "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

I didn't receive any response from HS despite making the request critical and then escalating it. In any case, I have good news. I restored to the backup 2 days ago and it seems my events and devices came back. So it seems the restore process is working. That is very encouraging. I wish HS wouldn't keep (2nd time) losing events and devices, though. So I just have to redo a few events. Not too bad. I wish HS would resolve this problem, though. Thanks for the responses.

Comment

Working...
            X