Best Thermostats for HS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Thermostats for HS4

What are the best Thermostats for HS4? Opinions? I am needing to replace 3.

Thanks in advance!

I'd recommend the Ecobee line of stats. The plugin works great and the stats are easy to install.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

What are your goals? I had two requirements which were z-wave and having a remote sensor that is independent of the built-in sensor. That limited me to the Trane 624. In my case I moved the thermostat to a remote place (closet, garage) so it was important to have a controller that does not average multiple sensors but just works on the remote sensor. This allowed me to put a tablet with HSTouch where you usually have a thermostat.

I considered the Ecobee but I don't need the learning feature or multi-room sensors (more batteries to replace). Instead, I just send commands to the Trane controller.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
        What are your goals? I had two requirements which were z-wave and having a remote sensor that is independent of the built-in sensor. That limited me to the Trane 624. In my case I moved the thermostat to a remote place (closet, garage) so it was important to have a controller that does not average multiple sensors but just works on the remote sensor. This allowed me to put a tablet with HSTouch where you usually have a thermostat.

I considered the Ecobee but I don't need the learning feature or multi-room sensors (more batteries to replace). Instead, I just send commands to the Trane controller.
        Sorry not trying to steal this thread but I was wondering one thing about the trane 624. Just curious if it can go solo if HS is down? Thanks

I have tried the GoControl TBZ48 and the CT101 Z-wave version and not impressed with either. Could be the drivers.

Comment

Yes, the Trane Thermostat works also independently from HS or any home automation system. Basically, it is a normal thermostat that you can program. Then you can override the current setting from HS. So the only home automation I do is checking if a window is open in which case I will turn off the AC/heater, if we are away I override the temperature setting, etc. Otherwise it is the thermostat that controls the temperature.

For me it is a requirement that everything still works when the home automation system goes down. My other requirement is that a home automation system can work even if the internet is down and that there are now monthly/yearly fees. So Trane and HS fit the bill.

I checked my notes and I looked at the CT100 and that one depends on a home automation system, hence I excluded it from my list. I don't know about the CT101.

According to my notes the 624 is just slightly different from the 524, i.e. it has a humidity sensor which I really don't care about. Trane has higher versions like 824/850/1050, etc but those don't integrate with z-wave as far as I know. The description of those devices are pretty confusing. Basically, they have a z-wave hub built in but you can't add them to a z-wave hub like the HS z-wave stick.

Comment

I may be mistaken, but when I looked at the XL624 a few months ago I got the impression it's no longer made. I did find a few on ebay etc.
            -Wade

Comment

Wade Yes, based on my knowledge they are not made anymore. Supposedly they have a replacement but from what I heard it cannot integrate into a z-wave network. Instead it has its own z-wave network to integrate to just like those higher devices I mentioned. Pretty strange strategy, in my opinion. I am not sure what the OPs goal is but in my case I don't really use the thermostat. As I said before, one is in a closet and one is in the garage. There are temperature sensors in the house to control the thermostat. Then I mounted tablets with HSTouch where the thermostats used to be. I used the existing wiring of the thermostat for the temperature sensor and to provide power to the tablets.

Comment

For me it is a requirement that everything still works when the home automation system goes down. My other requirement is that a home automation system can work even if the internet is down and that there are now monthly/yearly fees.
                Amen to that.

I checked my notes and I looked at the CT100 and that one depends on a home automation system, hence I excluded it from my list. I don't know about the CT101.
                CT101 is same as CT100.

ccording to my notes the 624 is just slightly different from the 524, i.e. it has a humidity sensor which I really don't care about
                Not an issue either. Thanks for the info.

Comment

bkcarter I found 3 others that might be of interest to check into.

1. Remotec ZTS-500
                  2. Ecolink TBZ500
                  3. Honeywell T5

Comment

I really like the Ecobee 3. The plugin is great, I have multiple room sensors but haven't incorporated those yet into HS besides temp monitoring. I can send messages to the thermostat through an HS Event, which is nice.

Comment

I have 3 aprilaire thermostats. 2 8810 and 1 8840. All work well with homeseer and stay local. No cloud required.

Comment

I use the Honeywell Intrusion TH6320ZW2003. It can work independent of HS4 or with HS4 and requires no cloud connection.

I can control every aspect of of the TStat that I need via HS4 when desired.

It has worked flawlessly so I plan on using another one to control a mini-split unit in my garage - once I figure out which mini-split to go with...

Comment

Originally posted by jgreenberg01 View Post
                          I use the Honeywell Intrusion TH6320ZW2003. It can work independent of HS4 or with HS4 and requires no cloud connection.

I can control every aspect of of the TStat that I need via HS4 when desired.

It has worked flawlessly so I plan on using another one to control a mini-split unit in my garage - once I figure out which mini-split to go with...
                          OP, please pardon the brief tangent...
                          jgreenberg01 would you mind posting a screenshot of the devices page showing all the features HS creates for the Honeywell tstat? Thanks.
                          -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post

OP, please pardon the brief tangent...
                            jgreenberg01 would you mind posting a screenshot of the devices page showing all the features HS creates for the Honeywell tstat? Thanks.
                            Sure thing Wade. Here are the devices:

Click image for larger version  Name:	TStat Devices.PNG Views:	0 Size:	107.8 KB ID:	1495130

I control it through events & scripts for automation purposes and via HSTouch for any manual adjustments:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Climate Control Screen.png Views:	0 Size:	644.4 KB ID:	1495131

Comment

Originally posted by jgreenberg01 View Post

Sure thing Wade.
                              Perfect, very helpful. Thanks.
                              -Wade

Comment

Working...
                              X