AWS to Homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AWS to Homeseer

I'm trying to send MQTT messages from AWS to Homeseer or have Homeseer subscribe to a AWS topic. Are there any examples on how to do this? I have been searching with no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

angelonej

Have you seen the mcsMQTT Plug-In by Michael McSharry?

Roger D

Comment

I know that the lg thinQ plugin is using that . Maybe you can send a pm to the author

stefxx

Comment

Hi angelonej ! I think we need more information... there are many ways to connect to AWS MQTT... Are you trying to do this with a script? Maybe the Big5 plugin (no personal experience with that btw)? Are you using certificates or just userid/password? Is it the connection to AWS that is giving you issues, or the processing of the MQTT messages? Etc etc. Please post as much details so we can try to help.
        stefxx

Comment

Hi,
          Mu apologies but I am new to Homeseer. I am receiving messages in AWS from an ESP8266 device. When these messages come in and exceed a threshold value, I want to trigger a device on my Homeseer by sending a message from AWS or have Homeseer subscribe to an AWS topic. I looked at mcsMQTT but it's not clear to me how to set this up. I was looking for info on how others have done this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

I am receiving messages in AWS from an ESP8266 device
            Is the ESP8266 something that you developed or is it a commercial product with firmware that interfaces with AWS? AWS hosts many 3rd party applications so there is no single answer. More info is needed.

Comment

It's a commercial product that I'm working on. I have modified the firmware to send messages to AWS. I have a lambda function that I want to modify to send data to homeseer.

Comment

If you want to user MQTT as the protocol from your AWS server then this server and mcsMQTT client need to have a common MQTT server to which to connect. Since you have intention to provide this product to multiple users it makes the most sense that the MQTT Broker is in the cloud such as HiveMQ. You could also provide your own MQTT Broker on AWS. Another integration method is using something like a REST server you put on AWS rather than a MQTT Broker. This is normally a command-response initiated by mcsMQTT from its Cloud page, URL tab. Other options exists for the REST client. If you want AWS to push data to HS and not use MQTT protocol then you would setup a Websocket on AWS and use mcsMQTT Cloud page, URL tab, Websock protocol to listen for the data.

A typical HS user does not want to be dependent upon the Cloud other than possibly for some initial setup. For this market I suggest that your ESP8266 has a setup option for it to select the MQTT broker to which it should connect. This way the ESP8266 could communicate on the HS network locally and work in realtime without a cloud connection.

Comment

Working...
                X