Swimming pool automation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swimming pool automation

Morning all, some of my ancient analog pool systems are needing to be replaced and when searching for automation around swimming pool most of the posts on here that were coming up were many years old. I am wondering for those of you who have put more modern automated systems into your pool if you would mind sharing a bit about your setup so that I can get a better idea of what I may want to do?

Looking for things like automated valve systems so I can setup my spa automatically, digital timers that I can check status on, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!

chewie,

Have you seen this post about pool control?

I would think that as long as you have electric valve actuators in the needed locations then there is nothing that HS4 wont be able to do.

A search for pool related Plug-Ins brings this up...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2021-09-12_11-23-28.png
Views:	338
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1495351

Roger D

Comment

Originally posted by Roger D View Post
      chewie,

Have you seen this post about pool control?

I would think that as long as you have electric valve actuators in the needed locations then there is nothing that HS4 wont be able to do.

A search for pool related Plug-Ins brings this up...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2021-09-12_11-23-28.png
Views:	338
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1495351

Roger D
      Thanks Roger, I have seen that post but it was mainly about monitoring chemicals. What I am really looking for is to hear about peoples experiences with using things such as automated timers and valve actuators. Once I have seen what people think of some of the systems available then I was planning to look at ways to connect them back to HS.

Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Just my opinion, but this type of process control reminds my of alarm systems. I feel it's best to leave it in the hands of specialty equipment that can communicate with and be configured via HS rather than direct control via HS. A missed valve actuator command could be costly during a backflush sequence.

Again, Just my opinion.
        "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Originally posted by kenm View Post
          Just my opinion, but this type of process control reminds my of alarm systems. I feel it's best to leave it in the hands of specialty equipment that can communicate with and be configured via HS rather than direct control via HS. A missed valve actuator command could be costly during a backflush sequence.

Again, Just my opinion.
          What he said. I have a friend who installs and maintains high-end swimming pools and spas, and the pool equipment companies now make sophisticated controllers dedicated to that purpose, including WiFi-enabled Android or iOS apps. It's not worth it to try to DIY.

Comment

I have automated our pool (pump timers, solar pump control, temperatures, valve actuator, pH and ORP monitoring, chemical tank monitoring). I use a CAI Webcontrol unit as the main device as it has 3 analog inputs (for pH and ORP), 1-wire inputs (temperature sensors), digital outputs (connected to relays for pump control) and digital inputs (basic chemical tank level sensor).

It was actually quite a bit of work to set up and the system needs HS running to control and manage the pool. So not stand alone at all. And it has an element of tinkering, not a tidy professional system. Luckily I haven't had any runaway events (out of control pH or ORP). I do use Zodiac dosing pumps though.

Like others said it is probably better to get a dedicated system which might be expensive but at least it will keep working if HS is down.

Happy to provide more detail but if I had the opportunity to do it again, and the money, I would get a professional system (Zodiac, Aqualink, Autelis).

M
            iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

Originally posted by SteveW View Post

What he said. I have a friend who installs and maintains high-end swimming pools and spas, and the pool equipment companies now make sophisticated controllers dedicated to that purpose, including WiFi-enabled Android or iOS apps. It's not worth it to try to DIY.
              Any suggestion for a reasonably priced control unit that can interface with HS? The control unit only needs to handle basic functionality when/if HS is offline.

Comment

Originally posted by avpman View Post

Any suggestion for a reasonably priced control unit that can interface with HS? The control unit only needs to handle basic functionality when/if HS is offline.
                To be clear, what I meant was, use a pool control system purpose-built, and use that vendor's web or mobile app to control it, not HS. I don't see any advantage in using HS for this.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveW View Post

To be clear, what I meant was, use a pool control system purpose-built, and use that vendor's web or mobile app to control it, not HS. I don't see any advantage in using HS for this.
                  Yup, I understand. Was looking for suggestions for the controller since I don't have one currently installed.

Comment

Originally posted by avpman View Post

Yup, I understand. Was looking for suggestions for the controller since I don't have one currently installed.
                    What brand of equipment are you using (or brands)? I'll ask my buddy for a recommendation.

Comment

I'm confused, since chewie started the thread, and now avpman is asking for controller advice. I realize that this has veered off-topic for HST.

So, I will address this to whoever wants to automate control of a residential swimming pool. Here are the top three controllers recommended by my very experienced pool contractor friend; all are from the top three pool equipment manufacturers:
                      1. Pentair IntelliConnect: https://www.pentair.com/en-us/produc...liconnect.html It also supports landscape lighting and sprinkler systems.
                      2. Jandy automation systems: https://www.jandy.com/en/products/controls Similar but not as user-friendly.
                      3. Hayward OmniLogic: https://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/en...ic-i-auomni--1 A bit less expensive.

Comment

nodejs-poolcontroller is a pretty amazing project that's really been taking shape over the last year. It's multi-functional in such that it can control Pentair outdoor control panels, as well as it has the ability to function as a standalone controller. MQTT and other protocol integration are baked in so it's (somewhat) easy to connect to HS. Not a plug and play solution, as it'll take some programming and DIY to bake your own setup, but has the ability to scale to just how much you want to control/integrate.

https://github.com/tagyoureit/nodejs-poolController/

https://gitter.im/nodejs-poolController/Lobby (forum)

Comment

I have an older Pentair IntelliTouch system that still works fine. It handles all of the valve actuation, programming, etc., on it's own. I added the Autellis unit and Spud's PI, which both work great. It has allowed me to control a few things from HS that are very helpful. For instance, I was able to assign a button on a Lutron Radio RA2 keypad to the Pool and Spa lights. Now my "Backyard Off" button on the same keypad turns off all of the backyard lights as well as the pool lights. I have an event that makes sure all of the pool equipment is off at 1am, just in case one of the kids left something on. I like the way everything works. I don't think I would try to homebrew my own pool controller though.

Comment

This is all awesome information guys, really appreciate it. And yes, I totally agree, I am not a fan of DIY for things such as controlling my pool equipment. I am OK with DIY for things in my office that, should they break down, only inconvenience me. But if I put together some DIY pool system and it all breaks and the pool turns green then there is a significant negative WAF to that. :-)

I will look into the systems mentioned above and then see about integrating them into HS somehow.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by socalsharky View Post
                              I have an older Pentair IntelliTouch system that still works fine. It handles all of the valve actuation, programming, etc., on it's own. I added the Autellis unit and Spud's PI, which both work great. It has allowed me to control a few things from HS that are very helpful. For instance, I was able to assign a button on a Lutron Radio RA2 keypad to the Pool and Spa lights. Now my "Backyard Off" button on the same keypad turns off all of the backyard lights as well as the pool lights. I have an event that makes sure all of the pool equipment is off at 1am, just in case one of the kids left something on. I like the way everything works. I don't think I would try to homebrew my own pool controller though.
                              I've got an EasyTouch panel, and I've had my eye on the Autelis for the last 3 years, but they ran out of stock in 2019ish and despite the promise of new hardware, there's been no new products since. I've been running nodejs-poolcontroller as an integration bridge for the last 2 years, and the latest version has been solid for me for the last year. But, it's far, far from a plug-and-play unit and so it's definitely not for everyone. Personally I keep the homebrew projects limited to control of external interfaces, and all critical components are able to function standalone if any link breaks.

Comment

Working...
                              X