Voice Commands for Custom "Controls"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voice Commands for Custom "Controls"

I'm presuming I have a very basic use-case, but can't seem to figure it out or find the solution online anywhere.

I have Somfy Blinds, that are controlled via ZRTSI z-wave module connected to my Homeseer system. This module supports 3 controls:
    • 0 - Off (lower blinds)
    • 99 - On (raise blinds)
    • 1255 - Stop (stop moving the blinds, in either direction)

Of course when I hook it up to Google Assistant, the On and Off work great, but I can't figure out how to tie my custom-built control (the one where I set 1255 = stop) to a voice command.

When it shows up in the Google Home app, it's treated as a switch; On, Off. How do I get that third custom "stop" action into Google Home/Assistant?

Thoughts?

‚Äč

I have used the Smart NORA contrib inside Node Red to create a Smart Nora Blind device in Google Assistant for each blind in HoimeSeer. I am also using the Somfy blinds and will look at the Stop command as I was not aware of that (Thank you!). Did you have to create the Stop setting in the HomeSeer device? I only see the standard dimming light type settings for my blinds.
    Karl S
    HS4Pro on Windows 10
    1070 Devices
    56 Z-Wave Nodes
    104 Events
    HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
    Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

Originally posted by ksum View Post
      I have used the Smart NORA contrib inside Node Red to create a Smart Nora Blind device in Google Assistant for each blind in HoimeSeer. I am also using the Somfy blinds and will look at the Stop command as I was not aware of that (Thank you!). Did you have to create the Stop setting in the HomeSeer device? I only see the standard dimming light type settings for my blinds.
      I deleted the dimmer control because it doesn't really do anything. Then I just created a new one, called it "stop" and gave the value of 1255.

Works great on hs buddy and homeseer mobile app. Just with Google home you can only use "on/off" functionality

Comment

I'm guessing the silence means that there's probably no direct way to associate voice commands with controls on the main homseer dashboard...?

My current work-around is to map a "routine" in Google Home with a custom value in a slider.

That gets me natural language assigned to a value-driven command, just feels a bit hacky

Ultimately what it looks like is:
        • "Hey Google move kitchen blinds to a preset" -> Via routine in Google Home gets mapped to
        • Hey Google set kitchen blinds to 50%"
        • The slider has a range of 1254 to 1256 so that 50% is 1255, the value required by Somfy to go to a preset

Comment

I have done some checking and it appears this is a limitation with the Google assistant commands for Blinds. They allow for:
          • Close blinds
          • Close blinds to 50%
          • Close blinds down
          • Open blinds
          • Open blinds 50%
          and similar commands. I can find nothing for stopping the blinds, though.

I am trying to figure out how I would personally set this up to allow for something natural and test the values you have. I am confused after reading your two posts, though. Is 1255 the value to Stop the shades or to go to a Preset opening? In your last post you have a range of 1254 - 1256 Can you provide information on what each values does? Are you using a Google Routine to run a HomeSeer Event for the preset command?
          Karl S
          HS4Pro on Windows 10
          1070 Devices
          56 Z-Wave Nodes
          104 Events
          HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
          Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

1255 serves a dual purpose
            • If blinds are moving - 1255 tells the blinds to "stop"
            • If the blinds ARE NOT moving - 1255 tells the blinds to go to a single preset location

1254 and 1256 do nothing, I just have to provide a range, because the "slider" functionality won't work with a single value

I'm not using a Google Routine to ru na HomeSeer Event. Is that possible? I'm only using a Google Routine to translate the awkward language to naturally-spoken langauge.
            • ie:
              • Google Routine - Ok Google, close the kitchen blinds
              • Native Google Action - Ok Google, turn off the kitchen blinds
            For what it's worth, I don't see an option to setup the device as "blinds". They show up as "lights" or a "switch" in Google Home.

Comment

Working...
            X