First of possibly many posts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of possibly many posts...

I'm coming from Hubitat, where over the past 18 months I've added not 1 but 2 additional hubs for a total of 3, all in the name of reliability. After a little digging, I've landed here and was very close to pulling the trigger on Troller Plus. I just need to confirm a few things.

I see HS4 is available as software only. I currently have a Win10 PC that only runs BlueIris. I'm conditioned to think of home automation hubs as standalone products, but can I really just buy the HS4 software and zigbee/zwave stick and get going? Are there any benefits to running the HomeSeer dedicated hardware (such as Troller Plus)?

Second question. I have a bunch of zigbee devices. Can I use the Nortek zigbee/zwave stick for zigbee ONLY, and then use the ZNet for my zwave?

Thanks!

Originally posted by wogfun View Post
    I'm coming from Hubitat, where over the past 18 months I've added not 1 but 2 additional hubs for a total of 3, all in the name of reliability. After a little digging, I've landed here and was very close to pulling the trigger on Troller Plus. I just need to confirm a few things.

I see HS4 is available as software only. I currently have a Win10 PC that only runs BlueIris. I'm conditioned to think of home automation hubs as standalone products, but can I really just buy the HS4 software and zigbee/zwave stick and get going? Are there any benefits to running the HomeSeer dedicated hardware (such as Troller Plus)?

Second question. I have a bunch of zigbee devices. Can I use the Nortek zigbee/zwave stick for zigbee ONLY, and then use the ZNet for my zwave?

Thanks!
    I, and many others, run Homeseer on a Windows VMs. This has been ultra reliable for me.

I have a dedicated machine for running Blue Iris. I prefer to separate the machines/instances but there is no reason you need to. Much like Blue Iris, you'd want to shut off Windows updates. The Blue Iris plugin allows you to trigger cameras on Homeseer events and trigger Homeseer events based on Cameras.

You can run it on Linux if you like. I have some Windows voices I prefer so I go that route.

I have a Z-Net and I use a Raspbee with the Jowihue plugin for Zigbee. I will admit I don't use a ton of Zigbee stuff.
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
    Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
    weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

I would say you could run HS on the same hardware as blue iris depending on how many cameras you are running. If you are running a lot of cameras you might run into some slowness due to the processing power BI needs. But if your BI environment is small, then it would absolutely work to get you going. I have BI running on a VM and have HS running on another VM. I use a znet with it and it works well. I would not recommend purchasing the BI plugin for HS as you can do almost all of what the plugin does without it via scripting and Json api calls. It also is no longer supported by the dev, I went the json route as I did not want to fork out my $$ for something that isn't supported.

Comment

[mention]wogfun [/mention] I have been running HS3 for years on the same core i7 Windows 10 machine as blue iris with half a dozen hi res cameras. I don’t use VMs

I also have 3 wall mounted iPads running HS3Touch and run about 30 plugins on HS3

I also don’t use the BI plug-in, I just use http calls from HS3 to BI to change profiles and trigger recording, and I use http calls from BI trigger alerts to HS3 to trip HS3 virtual motion sensors.

It works great for me. Recently updated to HS4 and still fine (with Blue Iris 5 and deep stack object recognition)

I would think that as long as your blue iris machine is running without pegging the machine’s resources you should be fine. Homeseer usually uses very little cpu, memory, disk, network compared to blue iris

Comment

Blue Iris 5 also support substreams which greatly reduced the processing requirements for the app. I had move by BI instance to a physical machine with BI 4 and enabled Intel Quicksync support when I got to maybe 5 cameras. That is no longer really necessary if all your cameras support substreams.

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

Great replies all around, thank you. My BI machine rests around 30% cpu usage while recording 24/7 so I think there's plenty of headroom for HS4. I just received my Nortek ZW/ZB stick to get things going. I see there is a hubitat plugin. I'm hoping to use it to keep both systems up and running until I have enough time to move all my devices to HS4, and then retire hubitat.

Comment

Originally posted by wogfun View Post
              Great replies all around, thank you. My BI machine rests around 30% cpu usage while recording 24/7 so I think there's plenty of headroom for HS4. I just received my Nortek ZW/ZB stick to get things going. I see there is a hubitat plugin. I'm hoping to use it to keep both systems up and running until I have enough time to move all my devices to HS4, and then retire hubitat.
              I run HS 4 and BI 4 on the same windows 10 machine, 14 cameras. I have continuous uptime (without a reboot) of about 75 days.

I suspect you’d be fine on the same machine.

Comment

Here is the Blue Iris guide to enable substreams and why you might want to do so. Your 30% CPU might fall to 10% doing this. Essentially, Blue Iris monitors streams with lower resolution for motion so it has to do less math. The full substreams are still recorded directly to disk.

https://ipcamtalk.com/wiki/sub-stream-guide/

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
                  Here is the Blue Iris guide to enable substreams and why you might want to do so. Your 30% CPU might fall to 10% doing this. Essentially, Blue Iris monitors streams with lower resolution for motion so it has to do less math. The full substreams are still recorded directly to disk.

https://ipcamtalk.com/wiki/sub-stream-guide/
                  +1

I've got 10 cameras, 7 at 1080, and 3 at 4k.

My system was running at 70% or more depending on motion/what was recording. After I discovered substreams, the CPU usage went down to 6% on average!!!

As wpiman stated, it still records at the higher resolution. Also, when you open any camera to view it, BI switches from the substream to full resolution.

Highly recommend going this route.

Comment

Here running BI4 (v 4.8.4.6), HS3 (v 3.0.0.435), and Plex (v 4.62.1) on a Win 10 machine with an AMD A4-6300 @ 3.7GHz and 8GB ram. BI4 has 3 cameras. Motion detection and alerts on all but don't record the streams. HS3 has insteon, z-wave, wifi, arduino and lora devices. Run this same config in two locations. Windows is prevented from automatic updates. While it is true the CPUs run pretty high CPU (just looked at it, 48%), everything runs fine. Slight delays on some events but acceptable. Plex streaming with any transcoding pegs CPU. Only stream at original quality and only locally. In terms of uptime, one of the systems I tinker with a lot so it gets booted every once in a while. The other just runs and has been up over 6 months at a time until I finally decide a Win10 update is stable enough to install. I realize that my BI4 and HS3 versions not up to date. My choice.

I have contemplated upgrading hardware and likely will in the future but it is not being driven by stability or other limitations. Rather, it is mostly since both systems are older (2016) and on one of them I want to completely revamp the cameras (6 new POE high quality PTZ cams. Current are old wifi non-PTZ mixed brands.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Comment

Working...
                    X