Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excessively large log file

Hi all,
    Just thought I'd share something with all of you. The past week or two Homeseer would lock up and become unresponsive. I would check my logs and there were no error messages and no common events being triggered right before it locked up. I did notice one thing, however, when I tried to open my log file; it would take a long time because I hadn't cleared it out in a year and a half. Every single time something happened on my Homeseer system or I sent an X10 command through any number of devices for the past 18 months was in there and would take a while to even come up.
    To make a long story short, I renamed my ah.log file and had HS recreate it. Ever since I did that, I've not had a single problem with my system.
    Hopefully this might be able to help someone else out who may be having the same problem.

I save and make a new one every night

As part of my file backup routine, at midnight I save the ah.log file to a backup directory. During that backup I rename it so it has the days date as part of the filename. Then I delete ah.log from the Homeseer directory and Homeseer creates a new one the first time it needs to write anything to it.
    I save these backup files for several weeks and automatically delete the oldest one as part of the backup routine.

Dick Masson
    Dick
    HS PRO 2.5.0.81, WinXP, IE8, Shuttle XS35V3, 2.13GHz, 4GB, 40GB SSD drive, AC-RF2, ADIOcelot, Message Server, TI103, SNEVL CID, pjcOutlook, MCSTemperature, Powertrigger, BLBackup, BLFloorplan, BLIcon, BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLRfid, BLLogMonitor, ACPUPSD, UltraECM, WeatherXML & Stipus' script connector. 500+ devices, 260+ events, 1-wire weather station + temp/humidity sensors & Oregon Scientific temp & humidity sensors & 2 Brultech ECM-1240s

Comment

Back up

Dick
      Could you explain how you set up the back up file. I was recently away and my system went down following a power failure. I wanted to check how long the power was off but the log file only showed the re-boot.
      Mike

Comment

Dick,
        Did you write your own backup scripts to do this?

I should add that option to the backup program I recently posted.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by RAM
          As part of my file backup routine, at midnight I save the ah.log file to a backup directory. During that backup I rename it so it has the days date as part of the filename...............
          Hi, yes how are you doing this, are you using a Bat file or script or what?
          sigpic
          A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Someone created a script for this; if it's not in the scripts forum, it's attached. I may have customized it a bit for my own use; I don't remember, and I didn't make a note of any changes

Create an event to run this at 23:59 every day, and create the folder 'Oldlogs' in the HomeSeer folder.
            Attached Files

Comment

My log file handling

I do my log file handling with 2 scripts, the first one creates a backup with a filename like '010205.log'. Then another one rotates out the oldest one (21 days old in my case).
              Attached are the 2 scripts. I hope this helps.

Dick Masson
              Attached Files
              Dick
              HS PRO 2.5.0.81, WinXP, IE8, Shuttle XS35V3, 2.13GHz, 4GB, 40GB SSD drive, AC-RF2, ADIOcelot, Message Server, TI103, SNEVL CID, pjcOutlook, MCSTemperature, Powertrigger, BLBackup, BLFloorplan, BLIcon, BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLRfid, BLLogMonitor, ACPUPSD, UltraECM, WeatherXML & Stipus' script connector. 500+ devices, 260+ events, 1-wire weather station + temp/humidity sensors & Oregon Scientific temp & humidity sensors & 2 Brultech ECM-1240s

Comment

Thanks, Firtha and Dick,

I will have a look at them in the morning and test them.

They are a great idea.
                sigpic
                A founder member of "The HA Pioneer Group" otherwise known as the "Old farts club!"

Comment

Working...
                X