Wireless LAN question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Similar

I am doing something similar at our family summer house. I have a wireless router that reaches out of the main house into the lawn on channel 6. In the guest house- I have a bridge that converts to wired cable- and the wire runs across the house and another WAP sits in a window with good access to the rest of the property. The second WAP is actually a completely diifferent wireless network (different ssid and channel number) in my case.

You could get a bridge and wap and to the same thing.

What blows my mind about wireless networks is how some of the plug in adapters for notebooks are so poor. I have wireless built into my laptop- so the antenna is basically the screen- and I get excellent coverage that other people do not. I just bought a linksys wet32gs bridge and it does even better. If gets 80% signal off of one of my neighbors 500-600 feet away.

Is it possible for you to move your WAP to a more central location?
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
    Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
    weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Folks

Wireless Access Points (no routing) are used in commercial buildings to provide RF coverage everywhere. Each AP connects back to a single router - either by cat-5s or via WDS wireless (if it's all single-vendor).

Homes needing coverage more than a single wireless ROUTER should use the same approach - just add APs. And a cheap AP is a wireless router with the WAN port unused.

Trying to enlarge the footprint of a single wireless router is a compromise approach but don't try for more than 75-100Ft radius indoors with walls.

Comment

Working...
      X