Wired smoke detector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wired smoke detector

I have smoke detectors in my house which are wired and when one goes off, they all go off. I am looking to replace one of them so that when they go off, I can get a notification from Homeseer and maybe turn on all the lights.

Zwave Plus would be good-- but Zigbee might be alright too.
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
    Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
    weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

I am under the impression that linked smoke detectors need to be treated as a unit. I'm not sure they are interoperable between manufacturers (or even among different models from the same manufacturer). They also do not have unlimited lifetimes, so it would probably be wise to replace all of them if you are going to replace one.

It may be possible to link their output to a device to alert HS, but I don't know if such a device exists. You might also be able to use something that responds to the sound of the detector's alarm.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

There are no wired zwave smoke detectors on the market as far as I know. The only wired ones that may work with hs that I have found is the Google nest alarms but those are insanely expensive and require the cloud to integrate.

Comment

If you have an alarm panel, you might use a contact closure from the detector, then use that to trigger homeseer.
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Your best bet would be to use a listed smoke detector interconnect relay at one of your 120V smoke detectors. I use the Kidde SM120X relay to trigger a fire zone in my Elk security panel but I am sure you can use a ZWave Mimo to signal your HS system.

Comment

Originally posted by will40 View Post
            Your best bet would be to use a listed smoke detector interconnect relay at one of your 120V smoke detectors. I use the Kidde SM120X relay to trigger a fire zone in my Elk security panel but I am sure you can use a ZWave Mimo to signal your HS system.
            This would probably be the best solution. Kidde also makes a carbon dioxide relay if you have smoke and CO detectors.

Comment

I did this with the kidde smoke and co interconnects and two monoprice contact sensors. Works great! When the alarms go off all the lights in the house turn on and when it is silenced they all go back to what they were before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Out of curiosity,

Since most interconnected AC powered Detectors are all powered from a single branch circuit in the breaker panel. What if a Current Switch was used to monitor the current draw of this circuit and when the contacts close due to the higher current draw when the sounders activate they could trigger a Z-Wave device such as a Z-Wave.me Z-Uno for the correct alarm type since it is programmable.

The advantages would be no connections are made to the existing detectors so no UL listing should be affected.

To be clear though, anything directly connected to the detectors should be listed for use with that model.

Thoughts???

Comment

Thanks! I'll look into the Relays!
                  HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                  Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                  weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Originally posted by Roger D View Post
                    Out of curiosity,

Since most interconnected AC powered Detectors are all powered from a single branch circuit in the breaker panel. What if a Current Switch was used to monitor the current draw of this circuit and when the contacts close due to the higher current draw when the sounders activate they could trigger a Z-Wave device such as a Z-Wave.me Z-Uno for the correct alarm type since it is programmable.

The advantages would be no connections are made to the existing detectors so no UL listing should be affected.

To be clear though, anything directly connected to the detectors should be listed for use with that model.

Thoughts???
                    I doubt that there is a detectable change in the current draw.

Kidde sells devices that are specifically designed for their products. These devices are wired into the interconnect between all the detectors in the loop. There is one device to use for the smoke alarm signal and a different device for CO signal. These devices are purpose built to interface their product to external systems.

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                      If you have an alarm panel, you might use a contact closure from the detector, then use that to trigger homeseer.
                      That's what I do, if I have an Alarm, I use one of the expansion relays in my OmniPro to trigger a Ocelot/Secu16 to tell HS that an alarm has occurred. It would be simple to add another output and input to for just Smokes. And triggering through the security panel won't defeat the whole home smoke UL alarm system requirement and would be super fast as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger D View Post
                        Out of curiosity,

Thoughts???
                        I doubt the smoke detectors would pull enough of a rise in current when tripped to be detectable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

been using the kidde relay probably 5 + years. This is why I still have Hs3 for the phone use, It calls my cell phone when the detectors get activated.

Stuart

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart View Post
                            been using the kidde relay probably 5 + years. This is why I still have Hs3 for the phone use, It calls my cell phone when the detectors get activated.

Stuart
                            Stuart, can you let me know how you have HS3 setup to call you. I use HSPhone on 1.7, but haven't played with HS3 phone support.

Thanks

Comment

Another idea on when triggered is to shutdown the hvac and unlock the doors. All assuming you have z-wave or other methods.
                              HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                              54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                              Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Working...
                              X