Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you prevent Google Home from being able to *unlock* a lock.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The device have an option called User Access
    Isn't that possible to use?
    - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
    HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
    PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

Not trying to dig up an old subject, but I was just looking on here for the exact opposite issue. Google Home, maybe 3 years ago, would unlock my front door for me by voice. Since then it will not, and honestly, as a wheelchair user coming up a ramp, often with things on my lap, that's frustrating as hell.

So let me ask the opposite question: does anyone know how I can get Google Home to actually UNLOCK my doors for me by voice? It works great for locking doors, and works well for my garage doors, but it will not work for unlocking my powered door locks.

Mike
      HS3 on a PC. Kwikset Z-wave door locks.

P.S. For those who think this is less secure, you may be right, but I have several other means of security in place.
      P.S.S. I'm of the opinion that blocking either function is none of Google's business. It should be up to the users to decide.

Comment

Originally posted by mhiles View Post
        Not trying to dig up an old subject, but I was just looking on here for the exact opposite issue. Google Home, maybe 3 years ago, would unlock my front door for me by voice. Since then it will not, and honestly, as a wheelchair user coming up a ramp, often with things on my lap, that's frustrating as hell.

So let me ask the opposite question: does anyone know how I can get Google Home to actually UNLOCK my doors for me by voice? It works great for locking doors, and works well for my garage doors, but it will not work for unlocking my powered door locks.

Mike
        HS3 on a PC. Kwikset Z-wave door locks.

P.S. For those who think this is less secure, you may be right, but I have several other means of security in place.
        P.S.S. I'm of the opinion that blocking either function is none of Google's business. It should be up to the users to decide.
        I don't use Google Home with HS4, but have you tried these instructions to enable unlock with voice?
        google_assistant_guide.pdf (kwikset.com)

Comment

Ah TC1, interesting approach to use voice control through the Kwikset link independent of Homeseer. I don't use the Kwikset app but I suppose I could. All other voice control I'm doing with Google Home is through the Homeseer link.

I'll look into this new approach. Thank you.

Wait how can this work if my Kwikset locks are Z-wave? They're not wifi. Am I missing something here?

Mike

Comment

Just off the top of my head and not knowing anything about Kwikset, wouldn't you be able to link Kwikset with your Google home and do a
            "hey google, tell kwikset to unlock"?

Comment

Ah TC1, interesting approach to use voice control through the Kwikset link independent of Homeseer. I don't use the Kwikset app but I suppose I could. All other voice control I'm doing with Google Home is through the Homeseer link.

I'll look into this new approach. Thank you.

Wait how can this work if my Kwikset locks are Z-wave? They're not wifi. Am I missing something here?

Mike
              Again, my apologies since I don't use Kwikset products (I use Schlage) and the Google Home integration with HS4.
              Let me ask this, how were you previously unlocking using voice? What device was receiving your voice command?

I suspect it was a Google Assistant device that is using the HS4 integration? If so, then simply setup an Event in HS4 that unlocks the door and get Google Home to recognize the Event. Give the event a voice recognition command of your choice (that's the way it works with Alexa integration). Of course you can integrate a PIN into the Event voice command:

Click image for larger version

Name:	temp1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	1589140

Name:	temp2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1589141

Name:	temp3.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1589142

Comment

Thank you, TC1. I had already done that exact thing for my garage door opener, and I did get the front door unlock to work, finally using that same method. It's a bit clunky because I have to use the keyword "run" or "activate" in front, but it works!

Much appreciated.

Mike

Comment

Thank you, TC1. I had already done that exact thing for my garage door opener, and I did get the front door unlock to work, finally using that same method. It's a bit clunky because I have to use the keyword "run" or "activate" in front, but it works!

Much appreciated.

Mike
                  Glad you got it working!

Yeah, I hear you on the natural speech aspects of it, I'm going through the same thing with the Alexa - HS4 integration. It's clunky to have to say "Alexa tell Homeseer to..."

Supposedly Google was working on a way to keep voice recognition processing localized, which might mean HS4 could us its own VR engine instead of having to make a round trip to the cloud and back.

Comment

I have to admit I like the idea shown in the Kwikset app of prompting for a PIN to unlock. At least that adds a bit more security to the equation. Still not really sure that I like voice control of things that need to be unlocked or disarmed (too easy to overhear PIN) but maybe that's just me being old-school and not generally talking to inanimate objects :-) Using an app on my phone if I were to be prompted for a pin to unlock the door, however, I could cope with that :-) I guess it falls into the same category of not having your automatiion system disarm your alarm system automatically when you unlock the door... call it 2-factor authentication for your house <GRIN>

Comment

If you don't want Google home to be able to use the unlock button, you should be able to just remove the control use from it.
                      Wade

"I know nothing... nothing!"

Comment

Working...
                      X