Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you prevent Google Home from being able to *unlock* a lock.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you prevent Google Home from being able to *unlock* a lock.

Is there any way to prevent Google Home from *unlocking* a lock? I'm fine with Google being able to lock the door or check its status, and I'm fine with the door being unlockable by any of various pushbuttons, events, etc controlled by homeseer within the house but until Google is able to prompt for a pin code or something similar (as Alexa apparently now does) I'm not really happy about it being able to unlock the door. Is it handy as heck when I'm coming in with my arms full of groceries, absolutely... is it secure, not in the least.

I've found the topic in a few different places and the solution always seems to be disabling homeseer from unlocking the lock in it's entirety, but that's not the goal... really it's to prevent something outside my house from unlocking my house without a 2nd factor of authentication. Or for that matter somebody yelling "hey google, unlock the doot" in through the window.

I think this really applies to anything security related... unlocking a door, disarming an alarm system, opening a gate (in some circumstances). There really needs to be a PIN (at least optionally) protecting the transaction. Until that can be accomodated by the API/Google I think there should be (again at least optionally) the ability to block that part of the functionality.

Mike

I did that with a work around.
    - virtual switch which is added to alexa in my case.
    - event when the virtual switch is off, to lock the door.
    ​-event to turn the virtual switch back on when the door is unlocked.
    -no event when the virtual switch is set to "on".

Cornelis

Comment

I'm surprised Google will do that. Alexa will not unlock the door when I tested it.
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
        I'm surprised Google will do that. Alexa will not unlock the door when I tested it.
        Not only will Google do this, but ADT is running a television commercial that shows it in action. About 3 seconds in they show an actor preparing food when he says "Hey Google, unlock the front door."

Here's a really low quality video someone posted of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGze7ps-ODc

I've read claims that the commercial has caused viewers' doors to unlock.

Like @Corvl1 I have a virtual device that controls it, but when someone asks Alexa to unlock front door, it replies with:

"Yeah sure, I'll get right on that. While you're waiting, do you have a bridge you want to sell me?" or whatever sarcastic remark I like that particular week.

Comment

Lol... that commercial is ridiculous. Why ADT promotes insecurity is beyond me.
          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by mcisar View Post
            Is there any way to prevent Google Home from *unlocking* a lock? I'm fine with Google being able to lock the door or check its status, and I'm fine with the door being unlockable by any of various pushbuttons, events, etc controlled by homeseer within the house but until Google is able to prompt for a pin code or something similar (as Alexa apparently now does) I'm not really happy about it being able to unlock the door. Is it handy as heck when I'm coming in with my arms full of groceries, absolutely... is it secure, not in the least.

I've found the topic in a few different places and the solution always seems to be disabling homeseer from unlocking the lock in it's entirety, but that's not the goal... really it's to prevent something outside my house from unlocking my house without a 2nd factor of authentication. Or for that matter somebody yelling "hey google, unlock the doot" in through the window.

I think this really applies to anything security related... unlocking a door, disarming an alarm system, opening a gate (in some circumstances). There really needs to be a PIN (at least optionally) protecting the transaction. Until that can be accomodated by the API/Google I think there should be (again at least optionally) the ability to block that part of the functionality.

Mike
            Have you tried unlocking your doors using Google Home and HS4?

💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
              Have you tried unlocking your doors using Google Home and HS4?
              Yes, about 5 minutes before my original post, and just now... and it works. That's the problem :-(

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Corvl1 View Post
                I did that with a work around.
                - virtual switch which is added to alexa in my case.
                - event when the virtual switch is off, to lock the door.
                ​-event to turn the virtual switch back on when the door is unlocked.
                -no event when the virtual switch is set to "on".
                Cornelis
                Thanks for the suggestion, I may have to give this a try as a workaround.

Mike

Comment

I don't use google home for device control, but I read about someone changing the name of their door lock for a *bit* more security. E.g., hey google, unlock the dungeon.
                  -Wade

Comment

Yes, about 5 minutes before my original post, and just now... and it works. That's the problem :-(

Mike
                    That's recently changed then as this used to not be supported via Google Home. Sound like they may have an issue on their end with their recent changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                      That's recently changed then as this used to not be supported via Google Home. Sound like they may have an issue on their end with their recent changes.
                      At least with Alexa it's secure by default so you can make the choice... "please unlock manually, to enable unlock by voice open the Alexa app..."

Comment

At least with Alexa it's secure by default so you can make the choice... "please unlock manually, to enable unlock by voice open the Alexa app..."
                        Yes, Alexa requires a pin by default. For GH you could try removing the unlock control use as a workaround.

Comment

What kind of locks are you using?? As others have said, GH does not unlock them by default. At least it shouldn't.

Just tried mine again and GH still will not unlock a door.

Comment

Originally posted by Demusman View Post
                            What kind of locks are you using?? As others have said, GH does not unlock them by default. At least it shouldn't.
                            Just tried mine again and GH still will not unlock a door.
                            I'm using the Yale touchless deadbolt ones with the zwave module, can't recall the model off the top of my head but they're about a year and a half old now. GH is more than happy to unlock both of mine :-)

Mike

Comment

Apparently Google "adopted" Yale as a Nest device. Not saying they bought Yale, but it looks like Yale locks are the only ones they unlock.

https://support.google.com/googlenes...10042812?hl=en

Comment

Working...
                              X