No announcement yet.

Windows 11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes maybe but Linux never debends sort of like Novell never did in the 1990's. You can too just build a mini W2016 server Virtual box to run Homeseer on in Ubuntu.

Started with this stuff in the 1980's and using CPM back then on a "portable" Kaypro. This was used for personal business. Payroll, accounts receivables / payable s...so easy to tinker with way back.

Click image for larger version  Name:	kaypro2x.jpg Views:	0 Size:	16.8 KB ID:	1507325

Windows 2016 or any version of Windows server is not a desktop OS. No eye candy to please the user. Very functional and simple OS.

I am running Blue Iris on a Windows 2016 server and next to that server running Zoneminder on Ubuntu 20.04 same computer hardware. I still like Zoneminder better. That is me.

Windows 11 is pure pleasing eye candy, simple and functional and a desktop operating system now resembling the MAC a bit.

I am doing that with Homeseer 3 box to run MS SAPI speaker instances and other Windows only stuff.

This box is only used via RDP from Linux. Today RDP to all of the Windows Virtual box Instances running on Ubuntu. The image is 20Gb in size.

Click image for larger version  Name:	RDP-Server.jpg Views:	0 Size:	56.4 KB ID:	1507324
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete Thanks for the info. I may have to look into zoneminder. I have an I5 system from my old job when they upgraded systems and it would be perfect to fire up ubuntu on. (Running BI as well.)
      Think I'll stick with HS on Win 10. Some plugins, from what I read, don't like linux.
      I'm like you. I didn't mess with kaypro, but my first computer experience was a TRS-80 model 1 my uncle had. Hunt and peck programs into it.
      My first was a TRS80 coco 1. But I've been working with IBM compats since the XT turbos and up. (Current system I9-11900K)
      But I run an email server on a vps with Debian. Started with Redhat back in the 90s.
      But on topic... The silabs drivers just don't seem to cooperate with Win11. Once they manage to update them where they'll actually install, I'll upgrade.

Comment

Yes here had a BBS running on a Commodore Pet computer then a C64 with a bank of 4 Ventel modems. I installed this stuff in the office. Next to the office were pay phones and I tapped in to them outside for my BBS. In the late 1970's got in to phones a bit and could at the time take over trunk lines...it was so easy. Then got in to the Amiga computer and video toaster and helped convert a television station in Chicago over to using the Amiga Toaster for their all day business reports which was being done from the Chicago Board of Trade at the time. Did also write some code to control a commodore 64 via that tape machine to move the satellite dish to download station programming way back. Did this all pro bono for my sisters father in law who was the technical manager of the TV station and all of the channels being broadcast in Chicago in the 1980's.

In the middle 1990's or so Intel built a computer for AOL that looked just like a MAC and they sold it in Europe. Thinking it has Windows 95 on it at the time with AOL and even had a phone on the top of it. I kept it and will take a picture of it. It was difficult to modify it or get to the mother board.

Understood about some plugins that are written for Windows and will not work in Linux Mono. I use Jon00's network application running in a HS3 Windows VB on Linux and it manages 15 touchscreens. (turns them on or off, screen savers et al). Note this is concurrent to running HS3 in Linux on the same machine.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

heh. Me too. Ran Remote Access BBS on a 286 and upgraded to 386. Only 1 modem. Zoom 24k. Had over 400 users. (Not bad for 1 modem) Over 100 door games.
          Why didn't you upgrade to HS4?

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
            Click image for larger version Name:	kaypro2x.jpg Views:	0 Size:	16.8 KB ID:	1507325
            Wow, thanks for the picture from the wayback machine. I sold a lot of Kaypros back in the 80s - along with just about every other brand & OS from then (extra points to anyone who can say they know the OS that Epson sold for a while when they tried jumping into the PC biz - hint: no they did not call it CP/M).

My BBS ran on an Apple II+ (bumbed the RAM waaaaay up to 64k!!!) with two 143k 5.25 floppy drives. I think the modem ran at a blinding 1200 baud.

I remember when we got the first 5MB hard drive - it had to sit exactly level on the desk or risk a crash. We were gobsmacked by the storage.

We've made a couple/three steps forward since then, but I'm not moving to Windows 11 until well after the early adopters iron out the inevitable wrinkles.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	coco.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1507364Click image for larger version

Name:	coco mem.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	1507365 5MB. That's how I felt when I got my first 360k 5.25 floppy drive. (The TRS-80 coco was cassette based.) And I had to remove it to use my rom cartridges. :P
              There was an expansion unit that would plug into the rom port and provide like 5 bays I think, but never got one.
              The coco came out with 4k or 16k. Within the first month, I had voided the warranty and piggybacked up to 64k. (8 ram chips and had to solder 15 legs. (One didn't need it.)
              That was fun. One bad solder joint and there goes your memory. (Mem chips on the right side.)

Comment

Why didn't you upgrade to HS4?

I am running HS4 on two new machines with Ubuntu 20.04 and HS3 on two older machines with Ubuntu 18.04.

Mostly just tinkering with HS4 (not production) and using HS3 (production).

Running HA and HS4 and Windows VBs on the new HS4 boxes.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Reanimating a Zombie thread.

Just an FYI for anyone contemplating going to Windows 11: I moved HS4 from a Win 10 Pro Beelink box on a UPS to a new laptop running Windows 11 to see how it would perform. This was about 3 months ago.

I haven't done a lot of testing yet, but I will say that everything runs faster. As an example, BLBackup had 4 minutes shaved off the time it takes to run.

Got so inspired by the performance boost, that I cloned my main computer's NVMe boot drive (disaster preparedness) then upgraded to Win 11 Pro as well last night.

That computer runs Blue Iris with 10 cams, plus typically has 15 active Chrome windows at any time. On Win 10 Pro, the CPU idled at an average of 4-5%.

Dialing in remotely from work, I see the CPU is now at 0-1% running Windows 11 Pro.

Color me impressed, but as always... YMMV

Comment

Great memories. I went the CP/M MP/M route. Ran my movie rental business in Dallas on a Molecular MP/M machine using Data Access System’s Dataflex DBM. The Molecular had up to 32 Z80 CPU cards driving terminals, sharing a massive 10mb 8” hard drive. We were also a Zenith Data Systems reseller and servicer. Sold a ton of S100 based CP/M Z100 computers, running CP/M - anyone remember PIP A:=B:*.*? Eventually Zenith moved to MS-DOS. Zenith was quite a player for a minute. My how things have changed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	0 Size:	131.1 KB ID:	1581895
                    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by randy View Post
                      Great memories. I went the CP/M MP/M route. Ran my movie rental business in Dallas on a Molecular MP/M machine using Data Access System’s Dataflex DBM. The Molecular had up to 32 Z80 CPU cards driving terminals, sharing a massive 10mb 8” hard drive. We were also a Zenith Data Systems reseller and servicer. Sold a ton of S100 based CP/M Z100 computers, running CP/M - anyone remember PIP A:=B:*.*? Eventually Zenith moved to MS-DOS. Zenith was quite a player for a minute. My how things have changed.​
                      Remember PIP command? I remember building serial cables to copy Wordstar from computer to computer. Kaypro to DEC Rainbow 100, to the Sony SMC-70 - yeah, they had a version of a CP/M machine in color(!), to MP/M machines.

Those 5.25" floppies in your pic were high-tech, the MP/M machines typically used 8" floppies.

Comment

Remember the T/S 1000?
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	151
Size:	228.9 KB
ID:	1581906
                        I had one back in the day. Converted the membrane keypad to a real keyboard using a kit available at the time. I was like 12 or 13 years old, saved my paper route money to buy it.
                        "Upgraded" to a Texas Instruments TI-99-4A a couple years later - even had the speech synthesizer peripheral.
                        To this day, I wish I had got a Commodore 64 instead of the TI. It had so much more support back then.
                        Dan-O
                        HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

Originally posted by jgreenberg01 View Post

Remember PIP command? I remember building serial cables to copy Wordstar from computer to computer. Kaypro to DEC Rainbow 100, to the Sony SMC-70 - yeah, they had a version of a CP/M machine in color(!), to MP/M machines.

Those 5.25" floppies in your pic were high-tech, the MP/M machines typically used 8" floppies.
                          The Molecular used an 8” floppy. ZDS had an outrigger hard drive (Z67) with 8” floppy and a 8” 10mb hard drive.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.9 KB ID:	1581910

Later they put a 5” 5mb hard drive in the Z100, followed by a whopping 10mb Miniscribe drive. Wordstar and Supercalc were the big applications. Since ZDS owned Heathkit, the Z19 terminal (H19) and the Z29 computer (H89) were available as kits.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	0 Size:	29.6 KB ID:	1581909
                          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Memories here too. First accessed a remote system in '83 using a 300 baud acoustic couple modem and a TTY terminal. Main thing we did was exchange asm source programs mostly for cp/m and dos. With the TTY terminal I couldn't capture anything so that led me to using a cp/m machine with a capture program so could save the programs. Started my own BBS in '85 on a MS-DOS 8080 clone with DoubleDOS. Two modems.

In one of my least insightful times, I once authored a paper for my employer in which I looked at OS2, Windows, mp/m and unix to determine what the next multiprocessing OS would be for small computers. I predicted mp/m. Big fail! Another paper I did was for networking where I analyzed Token Ring and ethernet. There I got it right with ethernet. However, back in those days ethernet was with a 3-com adapter and cable that was stiff and the size of your little finger and would hardly bend. There was also concern about ether being collision detect vs a ring. But I speculated these would get better quickly. They did.

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
                              Memories here too. First accessed a remote system in '83 using a 300 baud acoustic couple modem and a TTY terminal. Main thing we did was exchange asm source programs mostly for cp/m and dos. With the TTY terminal I couldn't capture anything so that led me to using a cp/m machine with a capture program so could save the programs. Started my own BBS in '85 on a MS-DOS 8080 clone with DoubleDOS. Two modems.

In one of my least insightful times, I once authored a paper for my employer in which I looked at OS2, Windows, mp/m and unix to determine what the next multiprocessing OS would be for small computers. I predicted mp/m. Big fail! Another paper I did was for networking where I analyzed Token Ring and ethernet. There I got it right with ethernet. However, back in those days ethernet was with a 3-com adapter and cable that was stiff and the size of your little finger and would hardly bend. There was also concern about ether being collision detect vs a ring. But I speculated these would get better quickly. They did.
                              Mmm hmm, I can beat that.

We put out a press release why the DEC Rainbow 100 was a much better choice than the new IBM PC. Oops.

Comment

Somewhere in the garage is my plug-in CP/M module for my Commodore 64. I had to use a hex editor to modify some code to allow for A and B drives. Those were the days.

Also used C64 to with dial up to connect to UCONN PDP8? to run school projects. Results sent back in text rather than to a line printer. From there, ediited the text to make it look right, then sent to the line printer. Those really were the days!

Comment

Working...
                                X