Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Somebody Please Confirm or Deny these Virtual Device HS4 BUGS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ServiceXp
    replied
    Originally posted by rjh View Post
    If you select a device action, select the device and then select a value, that works. Is that what you mean?

Please see first post.. and it does NOT update the value for me.

I feel like I've been saying this over and over and over again in this and several other threads. One in fact you confirmed the bugs. I think groundhog day is coming..

Support has also confirmed the bugs months ago.

Leave a comment:

• rjh
    replied
    If you select a device action, select the device and then select a value, that works. Is that what you mean?

Originally posted by ServiceXp View Post
    Can you update the value from an event?

Leave a comment:

• ServiceXp
    replied
    Can you update the value from an event?

Leave a comment:

• rjh
    replied
    I added the "Include Values" checkbox to the options form. That way you have control over what appears in the list as you did in HS3.

Leave a comment:

• rjh
    replied
    If you create a range option, set the prefix or the suffix to a some text, that will allow the values to display in the list for the device action. There is a check to omit values that have a blank label. I am looking into why that is there. I will see if I can change that to just display the raw value if not prefix/suffix is set. I don't see the "IncludeValues" option having an affect on that for HS4.

Leave a comment:

• ServiceXp
    replied
    I can't believe more haven't run into it, such a huge problem IMO.

Leave a comment:

• SmartyPants
    replied
    If you would be so kind to help me confirm or deny this HS4 Virtual Device bugs. Apparently, I'm the only one with this issue and HST support says they cannot reproduce it. Should take less then 5 min to complete.
    I've just run into the same problems.

Leave a comment:

• ServiceXp
    replied
    Originally posted by avpman View Post

Wow! Thanks. I just tried it. I wish something like this was native to HS, it makes the program look waaaaaaay better!
    Me too.

Leave a comment:

• avpman
    replied

So the name of that FF plug-in is "Dark Reader"..
    Wow! Thanks. I just tried it. I wish something like this was native to HS, it makes the program look waaaaaaay better!

Leave a comment:

• ServiceXp
    replied
    Originally posted by logman View Post

Yes, and yes. I normally try to look around and find a device that closely matches what I'm needing and then clone it. But if you need to later add a feature to the new device, simply clone an existing child (feature) device and the system will automatically assign it to the same parent as the child device you cloned.

One caveat: If you clone a device that was created by a plugin and it has special features (such as those created by the JowiHue plugin), then the new cloned device will also be assigned to that plugin and have those plugin features. That can cause issues for the respective plugin, so you want to be careful about not cloning those.

Also the Jon00 Grouping Utility can be used to assign or reassign new or existing devices to different parent/child relationships. Like everything from Jon, it's an extremely handy utility!

--Barry
    Thank You. When I tried it, (3 times) I ran into your "One caveat" warning, so I gave up and thought it couldn't be done. Albeit I was trying to copy and move only features from other HS4 devices.

I don't use Jon00 Grouping Utility plug-ins, its use has messed up my system almost every time I've tried to use it to move stuff around. I'm sure I was at fault, but I can't take the chance on my idiocy (too much power for me).

Leave a comment:

• ServiceXp
    replied
    Originally posted by avpman View Post

off topic, but cool skin. how did you change it? Thanks!
    So the name of that FF plug-in is "Dark Reader"..

Leave a comment:

• logman
    replied

Cloning the entire HS4 Device (Root and Feature)?

Does creating new features from the existing one allow the copied feature to work also?

Yes, and yes. I normally try to look around and find a device that closely matches what I'm needing and then clone it. But if you need to later add a feature to the new device, simply clone an existing child (feature) device and the system will automatically assign it to the same parent as the child device you cloned.

One caveat: If you clone a device that was created by a plugin and it has special features (such as those created by the JowiHue plugin), then the new cloned device will also be assigned to that plugin and have those plugin features. That can cause issues for the respective plugin, so you want to be careful about not cloning those.

Also the Jon00 Grouping Utility can be used to assign or reassign new or existing devices to different parent/child relationships. Like everything from Jon, it's an extremely handy utility!

--Barry

Leave a comment:

• ServiceXp
    replied
    It's a FF browser extension. I think it's called dark mode (on cell right now) or something like that.

I'll try and post the name tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• avpman
    replied
    If you would be so kind to help me confirm or deny this HS4 Virtual Device bugs. Apparently, I'm the only one with this issue and HST support says they cannot reproduce it. Should take less then 5 min to complete.

My System is HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.5.0 (Windows) Pro 64bit

Virtual Device Creation Steps:

1) Create a test Virtual Device, and rename the auto created feature (example: Temp_Test)
    2) Edit feature (NOT the Root), remove the default on/off Controls and Status Graphics options.
    3) Add 1 Range Control with -100 to 500 and set Range Options to Decimal 2 and Text Box.
    4) Add 1 Range Status with -100 to 300. (no need to set any Status Range Options)
    5) After making the above changes, enter 250 (or any number within the ranges) and hit the Submit button.

Event Creation Steps:

1) Create a Manually Triggered Event
    2) Add a Control a Device action for the Temp_Test feature (Make sure it's the feature NOT the root).

CONFIRM 1st BUG. Do you get "Missing Control"?

NOW, using the HS3 Legacy Device Management, edit the Temp_Test Feature and tick the "Include Values" option. Hit done.

1) Go back to the test event, and you should now have the ability to select a number to set the Virtual Device to.
    2) Run the event by clicking on the running man

CONFIRM 2nd BUG. Does the Virtual Device actually update to the selected number chosen in the event?

Screen Shots For Reference:

Click image for larger version Name:	2021-10-31_7-14-20.png Views:	145 Size:	24.5 KB ID:	1505453

Click image for larger version Name:	2021-10-31_7-12-32.png Views:	117 Size:	431.5 KB ID:	1505454

Click image for larger version Name:	2021-10-31_7-12-53.png Views:	118 Size:	580.7 KB ID:	1505455

Click image for larger version Name:	2021-10-31_7-17-56.png Views:	121 Size:	97.8 KB ID:	1505456

Click image for larger version Name:	2021-10-31_7-19-37.png Views:	118 Size:	192.4 KB ID:	1505457

Click image for larger version Name:	2021-10-31_7-20-39.png Views:	122 Size:	274.3 KB ID:	1505458

off topic, but cool skin. how did you change it? Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• ServiceXp
    replied
    Originally posted by logman View Post
    Yes, I can confirm these bugs... Virtual devices created in HS4 are gimped up. The work around is to clone a known working virtual device that was originally created in HS3. Alternatively you can clone a HS4 device create by a HS4 specific plugin. Either way the cloned copy works fine for me in HS4. You can edit any of the device parameters to fit your needs and it will still work.

Wonder if anyone has turned in a bug report on this?

--Barry
    Cloning the entire HS4 Device (Root and Feature)?

Does creating new features from the existing one allow the copied feature to work also?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X