Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK Energy monitoring with SMET2 Smart Meter

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to get a more accurate way of energy monitoring in my home. I've got solar panels, so looking to turn devices on when I have excess power being generated by my solar PV array.

I've tried using the current cost envi meter which clamps around the cable, but this isn't very accurate.

What the best way to get Realtime energy usage? I belive the SMETS2 meter which I'm using uses a secure version of ZIGBEE for it's comms??

Looking forward to hearing your clever ideas.

thanks

Jim

There are several energy monitoring devices available which are much better than the current cost.

If you only want to monitor 2 feeds the Emonpi is a good option, if somewhat pricey. https://shop.openenergymonitor.com/e...lar-pv-bundle/ It has the advantage that it has its own EmonCMS data logger, so you can see historical data. Although the unit only has 2 inputs it will accept data from other sources. Mine takes data from 2 Iotawatts https://iotawatt.com/ a Brultech gem https://www.brultech.com/greeneye/ and a few other things.I prefer the Iotawatt out of these monitoring devices.

This post on the OEM forum has some information about smart meter data https://community.openenergymonitor....erface/11813/3

A smart meter HAN - Home Area Network uses the Zigbee smart home wireless networking standard, however it seems to use a different ‘profile’ to most other uses of Zigbee and this I believe prevents directly accessing it.
    There are some dedicated devices that use the same ZigBee Smart Energy 2.0 profile and hence can in theory connect. (This may or may not be restricted by the energy and meter supplier.) An example is this one https://rainforestautomation.com/rfa-z114-eagle-200/ 130
    These connect to the HAN using Zigbee and then convert the data to a form that can be accessed over your home LAN. (RainForest have their own API for this.)
    In fact this type of device has its own abbreviation which is CAD - Consumer Access Device. You may be familiar with some smart meter devices which provide associated device with an LCD display you can view in real time on your table, these are called IHD - In Home Display devices and also use the same HAN. In fact some IHD devices now also have CAD capabilities as well. See - https://www.geotogether.com/products-services/tempo-smarter-energy/ 66
    Issues to be aware of.
    SMETS1 and SMETS2 are obviously different. Some IHD/CAD devices may only support SMETS1 others may support both.
    I believe that whilst the most common radio frequency for Zigbee is 2.4GHz that some SMETS meters may use different frequencies e.g. 868MHz. This is because these alternate frequencies have a longer range and with meters often being hidden away in a cupboard or even outside the house the greater range can be vital. Obviously you need to be compatible in this respect as well.

Comment

I use the Shelly EM to monitor power usage and solar PV production. That seems to be working well. It also uses clamps, 1 for PV the other one for the power drawn from the grid. Its wifi, and I use the AK Shelly PI to get it into HS4. Its low cost (ish) and for me its perfect
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi @mikeee123,
        Just came across your post about the Shelly EM device.

Just curious as to how you mounted this little device whilst giving it power. Also, what clamps did you use? It looks like they have 50A and 120A clamps.

Thanks in advance
        /Marcus

Comment

I use a Shelly EM here too. Fantastic device.

The clamp I use is the 50A. Our tails are 100A but I believe the actual amperage running in the cable is not important. The clamps come in two variations due to cable size rather than Amperage. e.g the 100A clamp has a wider aperture for a larger cable.

The Shelly app has some great info from the device. I push mine into AKShelly plugin in Homeseer and run Jon00's Database charting to chart the data. It nicely shows used vs returned.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MFULLER View Post
            The Shelly app has some great info from the device. I push mine into AKShelly plugin in Homeseer and run Jon00's Database charting to chart the data. It nicely shows used vs returned.
            Thats really great. I'll try that at some point (Shelly EM on order)

Thanks​

Comment

Originally posted by metkhoo View Post
              Hi @mikeee123,
              Just came across your post about the Shelly EM device.

Just curious as to how you mounted this little device whilst giving it power. Also, what clamps did you use? It looks like they have 50A and 120A clamps.

Thanks in advance
              /Marcus
              Hi, sorry only just seen your post. I have a power feed from one of my fuses to the shelly em. The shelly em itself is in a junction box (next to the fuse board) to make it safe. I use the 120A clamps, but as MFULLER mentioned I think its more the clamp size than amperage

Comment

Update: I wired up the Shelly EM, conected with the AK Shelly plug in and used Jon00's charting and voilla. I have real time and graphed electricity consumption / solar generation in homeseer.

Thanks guys.

Now - any ideas on what you can do for Gas consumption in the UK?

Comment

Now - any ideas on what you can do for Gas consumption in the UK?
                  It depends what type of In House Display (IHD) you have.

I moved house recently and Octopus had to upgrade the smart meters. They supplied me with a Trio II which has a wifi module built in. You can set up a free account with Geo (Green Energy Options) which is mainly for using their GeoHome App. The IHD connects to the GeoTogether servers and uploads your Electricity and Gas information, more or less in real time. Octopus keep the IHD configured with your tariff details so the information uploaded to GeoTogether includes costs as well as power consumption. The costs include the standing charges and VAT. This is mainly for use by the free GeoHome App which you can use to show the current and historic power and costs for your Electricity and Gas smart meters.

The Gas smart meters are battery powered and only update every 30 minutes. So, the current power for gas shows as average over 30 minutes and is delayed by 30 minutes. The Electricity is instant updated about every 10 seconds.

I have been developing an HS4 plug-in which interfaces with the GeoTogether servers to create and update devices in HS4 to show the information for the Electricity and Gas Meters. I have it working reliably for my system but I'd still consider it Beta. I intended it for personal use although I'm happy to share. I suspect it would be a very limited userbase.

None of it costs anything but you need an IHD which can communicate with the GeoTogether servers. It just so happens that the Trio II, Octopus supplied me with, does this. It's also possible that Geo will lock down, or start charging, for access to their servers in the future. It is also obviously cloud based, I haven't found a way to interface directly with the IHD (yet).

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	246
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	1573874
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	178
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1573875
                  The Bill To Date information is a bit bizarre! Either I haven't interpreted the data from the API correctly or it doesn't supply meaningful information.

You can set budgets in the GeoHome App and apply seasonal adjustments to the usage. I set the colour of the status image for the Costs based on the budget information the API provides.

Steve​

Comment

- Amazing Steve!. I don't have a smart meter or a a IHD but I can certainly ask my supplier (Utility Warehouse) what they use.. Will let you know (I am well impressed with your "beta" there!)

Comment

- Amazing Steve!. I don't have a smart meter or a a IHD but I can certainly ask my supplier (Utility Warehouse) what they use.. Will let you know (I am well impressed with your "beta" there!)
                      If you don't have a Smart Gas Meter, some of the older mechanical meters have options to get a pulsed output via an internal magnet and an external reed switch. Sometimes it's just a case of removing a cover and plugging in a module specifically from the meter.

Search Google images for "gas meter pulsed output"
                      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post
                        The IHD connects to the GeoTogether servers ​
                        I have just found out that Utility Warehouse sends their data to the DCC network. Any knowlege on them for retrieval of your own data?

Thanks
                        /Marcus

Comment

Originally posted by jon00 View Post

..removing a cover and plugging in a module specifically from the meter.
                          Unfortunately, I don't have such a meter. Mine must have been installed about 1981.
                          :-(

Comment

I have just found out that Utility Warehouse sends their data to the DCC network. Any knowlege on them for retrieval of your own data?

Thanks
                            /Marcus

I don’t think there is a way to access the DCC network, it is secure.

My understanding of the way this works in the UK, which may be incorrect so hopefully some one with more knowledge can jump in, is:
                            • A communications Hub, usually mounted on the Electricity Smart Meter, handles all the communications.
                            • The smart meters communicate with the Hub using a locked down secure Zigbee.
                            • The Hub communicates over the DCC network with the Energy Supplier using secure long range networking.
                            • The Hub also communicates with your In Home Display (IHD) using secure Zigbee.
                            All the above communication links are secured so can’t be accessed by a user.

The options for a user to get data is either through the Energy Supplier or the IHD.

In the case of Octopus, they provide an API that allows you to access your data, but not for the current day.

If the IHD has a WiFi module then that opens up access. I haven’t found a way to access this directly but I, and others, have configured communications between the IHD and GeoTogether’s servers which provides a means of accessing current and historical data.

Steve

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't have such a meter. Mine must have been installed about 1981.
                              :-(
                              I do hope it is younger than that as its certification would have run out by then! You could be paying too much (or too little) for gas! believe the maximum certification period on older meters is 12-20 years. Newer Smart Meters in 10 years as they have internal batteries with a finite lifespan.
                              Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X