UK Energy monitoring with SMET2 Smart Meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post

I don’t think there is a way to access the DCC network, it is secure.

My understanding of the way this works in the UK, which may be incorrect so hopefully some one with more knowledge can jump in, is:
    • A communications Hub, usually mounted on the Electricity Smart Meter, handles all the communications.
    • The smart meters communicate with the Hub using a locked down secure Zigbee.
    • The Hub communicates over the DCC network with the Energy Supplier using secure long range networking.
    • The Hub also communicates with your In Home Display (IHD) using secure Zigbee.
    All the above communication links are secured so can’t be accessed by a user.
    That is my understanding too.

Some good info on SMETS2 here: https://www.smartme.co.uk/smets-2.html

Jon

Comment

Just to update this thread, access to UK meter readings for Home Automation has become so much simpler recently using the Hildebrand Glow IHD and CAD display. This now has built-in local MQTT connectivity which you can access in Homeseer using your favorite MQTT broker and plugin.

To use, you just register for a free Bright account. This is best done through their free app (or search for Bright Hildebrand in the app store) This allows access to your smart meters via the DCC as Hildebrand is a SECAS (Smart Energy Code Administrator) approved DCC Other User. Your current energy supplier is not involved with this process. Once registered, you can view your electricity/gas data on their app if you wish.

When you purchase the Glow IHD, it is a simple matter of adding your WiFi and MQTT details. It is supplied pre-registered to your meters/HAN. This can display more information than the standard IHD's supplied (including small graphs) and also provides your current electricity consumption (updated every 6 seconds or so) directly in their app.

Jon

Comment

Working...
      X