Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Running Homeseer on a Windows machine that also runs Blue Iris?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Running Homeseer on a Windows machine that also runs Blue Iris?

I have an I7-7700 16gb ram machine that I run Blue Iris on. How resource intensive is Homeseer software. Anyone successfully running in this configuration?

I'm running HS4 and BI on a i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz (8gb) and having no issues with resources. BI will take up more CPU than HS in most/all configurations. I'm running about 25% CPU for BI (4 cameras) and <2% for HS4 (device count > 500).

Comment

You won't have any issues.
      RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

HS isn't the problem. BI might be. It depends on how many cameras you have and how you record video. Use Direct To Disc and it will save a lot of CPU time. Use Ctrl-Shift-Esc and it Windows will show you the task manager. You might have to click on a button "detail". Then you will see how much CPU time and memory each task uses. HS should be pretty low. BI probably will be very high. BI has a bunch of lectures incl. recordings how to optimize settings.

Comment

Looney is a regular on ipcamtalk, and I think pretty well versed in blue iris.

While I don't have a machine running blue iris and homeseer, I can't see homeseer adding much load unless you are getting really crazy. It is a pretty lightweight program.

Comment

Like others have said hs is not the resource hog there, blue iris is. How many cameras?

Comment

Sort of. I run HS in a VM that sits on a server that runs Blue Iris. I did it this way in order to ring fence the resources HS needs.

Comment

Here, on a Win 10 Pro server with AMD A4-6300 and 8GM ram, I am running HS3, BI4 (3 cams with motion detection), and Plex. All work OK however it does sometimes get a bit slow. I've had uptimes of over 100 days. I'd like to upgrade to an Intel I9 based server sometime in the future but no particular rush.

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
                  Here, on a Win 10 Pro server with AMD A4-6300 and 8GM ram, I am running HS3, BI4 (3 cams with motion detection), and Plex. All work OK however it does sometimes get a bit slow. I've had uptimes of over 100 days. I'd like to upgrade to an Intel I9 based server sometime in the future but no particular rush.
                  BI5 has a lot of refinement as it pertains to CPU usage, you may want to take a look at upgrading.
                  RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by ServiceXp View Post

BI5 has a lot of refinement as it pertains to CPU usage, you may want to take a look at upgrading.
                    I finally got around to upgrading to BI5.
                    CPU utilization significantly dropped from almost pegged to ~15% especially after using second streams.

DSteiNeuro

HS3Pro

MSI Cubi Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2201 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 16GB DDRl RAM

Enabled Plug-Ins
                    BLRussound, BLSpeech, HSTouch Server, JowiHue, MyQ, Nest, Rain8, Squeezebox, Ultra1Wire3, UltraGCIR3, Vista Alarm, X10,Z-Wave

Comment

@DSteilNeuro that is interesting. Did you change any settings? I know it makes a huge difference when you use direct to disc. Maybe the upgrade to BI5 changed that? Or did any other video record settings change as part of the upgrade? It seems a bit drastic that you go from almost 100% to 15%. I am very much interested in that as my BI4 uses like 35% (and almost 5GB of RAM which is due to my configuration) on a fairly powerful CPU running 10 cameras and I will be adding a couple cameras soon.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
                        @DSteilNeuro that is interesting. Did you change any settings? I know it makes a huge difference when you use direct to disc. Maybe the upgrade to BI5 changed that? Or did any other video record settings change as part of the upgrade? It seems a bit drastic that you go from almost 100% to 15%. I am very much interested in that as my BI4 uses like 35% (and almost 5GB of RAM which is due to my configuration) on a fairly powerful CPU running 10 cameras and I will be adding a couple cameras soon.
                        One of the bigger resource reductions is the use of sub-streams for processing motion events. They never said if they enabled this feature, but based on the drop in CPU usage, I'm assuming they did.

I don't run blue-iris currently but will be soon so I've been reading up on it lots. Apparently sub-streams is a game changer.

Comment

Substreams are mostly for remote viewing. It is a lower resolution. On your PC you still want to record the main stream. So what the PC is concerned it is still the same.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
                            Substreams are mostly for remote viewing. It is a lower resolution. On your PC you still want to record the main stream. So what the PC is concerned it is still the same.
                            I think you need to read up on how blue iris uses Substreams to reduce cpu usage. As well as read up on lowering blue iris cpu usage and how direct to disk recording works.

https://ipcamtalk.com/wiki/optimizin...s-s-cpu-usage/

https://ipcamtalk.com/wiki/sub-stream-guide/

Edit: you are still using direct to disk recording of the main stream so that cpu usage doesn't change but it is also minimal. Blue iris isn't doing any reencoding when recording the main stream, it's basically just taking the video stream and saving it to disk which isn't that intensive of a process.

If you were asking it to reencode that stream, or even decode it to see what is going on, now that gets demanding.

Basically any cpu intensive tasks that blue iris does with the video is using the substream, since it is a lower resolution it reduces cpu usage dramatically. So reencoding multiple streams for remote viewing, or decoding and processing the image to detect motion are both done using a lower resolution and reduces CPU usage.

Comment

Well, that was kind of my point in my original post. Use direct to disc which will significantly reduce CPU time. Maybe BI also uses substreams for overviews but it is my understanding that the direct to disc is the most important part to reduce CPU time. At least it made a huge difference for me. But back to the original question, the point is that HS uses very little CPU time (in my case usually less than 1%) so as long as BI and other tasks don't take up almost all of the CPU time then it should be just fine running both on the same computer.

Comment

Working...
                              X