Aeotec Gen2 Settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aeotec Gen2 Settings

**** Correction: The post subject indicates Gen2, but this is actually the Zw095 Gen5 meter ****

I'm trying to understand and configure a Aeon Labs Gen5 energy monitor (two clamps). I'm not sure what the proper settings should be because I have found conflicting information so I'm hoping someone here can provide some clarity. I've attached what is displayed on the Devices list and also the node z-wave settings. I'm not understanding why I'm seeing information for kW Hours 2 but not for kW Hours 1.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DavidLiles; November 12, 2021, 01:07 PM. Reason: Title incorrectly states Gen2 when it's actually the Gen5 meter

I was able to get clarification from Aeotec support regarding HomeSeer and the energy meter (Gen5) settings and information it displays.

From the HomeSeer Devices view, select the primary device node for the meter, then the Z-Wave tab and then the Manage button. Next, expand the Settings section and you should be presented with configuration options for the meter. According to Aeotec support, the three Groups only determines how you want the meter sensor to report and the time interval. The three separate Groups allows you to select various meter data and configure the reporting timeframes. This allows you to configure up to 3 different ways to group and report meter data.

According to this explanation, in my initial image above, since I had both Groups 1 & 2 reporting at the same time interval, I was essentially doubling the communication load when the meter reported values. I only need to configure Group 1 and can remove all configuration settings for Groups 2 & 3.

I have also seen conflicting information regarding the direction the arrows should point when installing the clamps on the mains. According to Aeotec support, the direction of K -> L really only matters if you are wanting to keep track of solar generation. If you want to see both positive and negative values, then the clamps should be installed as follows:

Phase 1: Clamp 1 (K -> L facing towards the load)
    Phase 2: Clamp 2 (L <- K facing away from the load)

If you don't have solar generation, if you set Parameter 2 [1 byte] = 0, this will make it so the direction of the clamps will not matter at all. If you do have solar, then the direction of the clamps will matter.

With respect to parameter settings, the following is from a support post I found on the Aeotec website.

Pair HEM Gen5 V1.35 or V1.04 using non-secure
    1. Unpair HEM Gen5
    2. Re-pair HEM Gen5 using "Non-secure" pairing via HomeSeer interface (don't use regular pairing)

Changing Parameter settings
    1. Access the root of the HEM Gen5
    2. Go to Z-Wave tab -> Settings.
    3. Input these parameter settings individually at the bottom:

Parameter 2 [1 byte] = 0 //disable solar
    Parameter 3 [1 byte] = 0 //disable threshold
    Parameter 13 [1 byte] = 1 //enable CRC16 encapsulation (HomeSeer requires this)

1 Clamp Settings

Parameter 101 [4 byte] = 592143 //report all reports on clamp 1 via group #1
    Parameter 111 [4 byte] = 240 //Set the time of report for group #1

2 Clamp Settings

Parameter 101 [4 byte] = 1776384 //report all reports on clamp 1 + 2 via group #1

3 Clamp Settings

Parameter 101 [4 byte] = 4144911//report all reports on clamp 1 + 2 + 3 via group #1

4. Save this.
    5. If you are still not getting any readings, move onto the association section below, this would indicate that Group Association

Association (steps for is your HEM Gen5 is still not reporting)
    1. Access the root of the HEM Gen5
    2. Go to Z-Wave tab -> Association.
    3. Click on "Update" button
    4. Click on "X" on Node #1 under "Group 1"
    5. Now click on "Update" button again.
    6. Input this into

"Device to be Controlled" -HomeSeer
    "Destination Endpoint" -(No Endpoint)

7. Now click on "Add Association"

Comment

I found a few threads on this device but this is one of the newer ones. I've got one currently appearing like this in HS.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	177
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1600801

Since non-secure inclusion and in this order, I ran some of those manual parameter updates, I ran a Rescan, I fixed the Association, and ​checked the group checkboxes like so:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	161
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1600802

I'm assuming I can just delete the 4 devices without numbers 1 or 2 in them. But I will then not have any "Reset Accumulated Values" buttons. Is there anything wrong with my setup and if so how can I fix?​
      HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
      Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

mrceolla - First, you shouldn't need to make selections for device groups 2 & 3 because you can make all your selections in Group 1. The different groups allow you to define different reporting intervals. Also, not sure why you have the Meter 1 & 2 sub items directly below the parent node. What version of the Z-Wave plug-in do you have? I'm now on 4.1.0.3 and the configuration interface has changed. Regarding the ability to reset accumulated values, I'm not sure why you only have one, there should be two, one for Kw1 and one for Kw2... so you might have something else going on. I know it's a pain in the a$$, but have you tried excluding it and re-adding it to your controller in order to get a clean install?

I've had mine running stable and this is what it looks like....

Click image for larger version  Name:	meter.jpg Views:	0 Size:	29.3 KB ID:	1614791

On a side note, once you re-add it and things look correct, you might want to consider creating an event that will automatically reset the values at the end of each month so you don't have to manually do it; if you don't reset it, the accumulated totals will continue to increase. I created an event that runs at the end of each month and first stores the values to a log file and then resets the values.

Comment

Thank you for the tips! You might be onto something about re-adding it. If these parameters get stored in the device, maybe it will add correctly after having made these adjustments. I think it was setup for just 1 clamp when it was initially included.

Still running v3.something of the Z-wave PI. Had trouble with the intial v4 attempt.

I think I understood that about the groups. Others had used varying intervals so I figured I would as well. Not sure if there is any real efficiency in Z-wave network traffic or database size to be had or not.

I think I'll try re-adding and see what happens. Thx!

HS4, Insteon, Z-wave, USB-UIRT, Harmony Hubs, Google Hub/Chromecasts/Speakers, Foscam & Amcrest cameras, EZVIZ DB1 doorbell
          Plugins: BLLAN, BLOccupied, BLUSBUIRT, Chromecast, Harmony Hub, Insteon, Jon00 Homeseer/Echo Skill Helper, Harmony Hub, Jon00 DB Charting, MediaController, NetCAM, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, weatherXML, Z-wave

Comment

Once you have it up and running, something to keep in mind regarding the reporting interval... I noticed in your screen shot you have group 1 set to report every 10 seconds. This could create a lot of network chatter and impact other Z-wave device communication because the device will report for each selected item category (A, V, Kw, W) for each Group. If your electrical panel and energy monitor is in the garage, or a noticeable distance from your controller or another Z-wave repeating device, the reporting time could be slow. Once the energy monitor has been re-added, check your HS log to see the reporting times and maybe consider adjusting the reporting interval to be less frequent.

Comment

Yeah, I was a bit concerned with 10 seconds. I basically copied my settings from someone else's posted somewhere in these forums so figured they were ok. 10 probably isn't needed in this case.

Comment

Working...
              X