hardcode IP sub address on LAN PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hardcode IP sub address on LAN PC

My LAN just re-assigned the IP address of one of my computers on the LAN. Where do I hardcode this so it doesn't happen again?

Right click on network connection, properties, select internet protocol, properties. Change the settings there.

Comment

Do you happend to have a Linksys WRT54G? If so, you can purchase custom firmware ($20.00) to allow you to define manual DHCP (static) addresses to all your devices on the LAN. That way, you can still controll the DNS resolver list and what IP address each machine gets. See http://www.sveasoft.com/ for more info.

Regards,
      Ultrajones
      Plug-ins: UltraMon, UltraM1G, UltraCID, Ultra1Wire, UltraLog, UltraWeatherBug, UltraPioneerAVR, UltraGCIR

Comment

If you have a Router capable of assigning IPs based on MAC address, like UltraJones talks about, then that is the better way to go. You never know when you might have to move a computer to another network, even temporarily, and being able to keep DHCP saves a reconfiguration headache later on.

I use the an SMC Barricade 7004BR, which has the ability built in. I went to upgrade to a wireless router, but they had removed the feature in newer models, so I returned it and bought a less expensive wireless access point ot use with the 7004BR.

Comment

Jeff,
          What kind of router are you running. My new DLink has the ability to assign static ipaddress based on mac address from the router itself. It lists the mac address and PC name and you tell it what IPaddress to always use.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Hi guys. Thanks for the help. I in fact have a SMC Barricade 7004BR. How do you go about assigning IPs based on MAC address?

Comment

1. Pull up the web control panel for your router and log in.
              2. Click the "DHCP Server" menu item.
              3. Click the "Fixed Mapping..." button
              4. check the enable box at the top of the page and the connection control box below that.
              5. Enter MAC Address, last segment of IP number, and check the "C" box. You can enter up to 4 per page.

If you want to set it so that only devices that are in the list can connect to the network, set the dropdown to "deny". If you want to allow unlisted MAC addresses can connect, set it to "allow".

If you have a wireless AP, I suggest always setting deny in case someone tries to connect through wireless. This also means you have to manually add new MAC addresses to allow tem to connect to the network.

6. When entered, Save and reboot. You'll also need to renew your network connections on your computers with "ipconfig /renew" or "winipcfg" on 9x machines if you change the IP address from what it currently is set to. Rebooting the computers will also renew the connection.

Joe

Comment

silly question, but what's the MAC address?

Comment

That's the address of the network card in your computer.
                  In case you run Win XP:
                  Start DOS comander (CMD)
                  Type IPCONFIG /ALL

Comment

A MAC address is a hardware ID number in hex format. It is called a physical address when you use "ipconfig /all" from a command prompt in 2K or XP. It takes the form of 6 hex pairs.

00-00-00-00-00-00 where each '0' can be 0-9 and A-F.

The DHCP clients dropdown on the MAC Address control page in the 7004BR config page allows you to prefill ID slots with MAC address and current IP address. You should be able to recognize what's what from the computer names in parentheses. If the device isn't in the list, you'll have to look it up using ipconfig as mentioned in the first paragraph.

Comment

now that the BB is back, I can continue on this!

I want to have static IP addresses for the PC's on the LAN, but my son also have an Xbox, and I have another attachment that I want to have dynamically assigned. Is it possible to have both static assignments for some, and leave others to be dynamically assigned?

In setting the IP address, do I have to setup on each PC and then setup the router thru the DHCP MAC to IP Mapping List? (P.S. I don't see any MAC addresses in a drop-down)

Comment

1. Since you don't want static IPs for everything, do not check the Connection Control checbox near the top of the page. Click the help button on the MAC Address control page for more information.

2. You do not have to set anything in the Network settings on each PC. This is done completely through the router.

3. Since you don't see MAC addresses in the dropdown (do you have a "DHCP clients" dropdown with a gray box around it at the bottom of the MAC Address Control page?), you will need to get the MAC Addresses from each computer manually.

In a 2k/XP box:

Start| Run...
                        Type "cmd"
                        Type "ipconfig /all"
                        Record the MAC (physical) address.

On a 9x machine:

Start | Run...
                        Type winipcfg
                        Somewhere in the box is the MAC address. It's been awhile since I looked at a 9x machine, so I can't tell you exactly where.

If you're still having trouble, we can set up a chat session via IRC or instant messenger so I can walk you through it.

Comment

thanks. I think my software is slightly different. Here's the 2 screens that I see. It sounds like I should set:
                          - DCHP server "enabled"
                          - I know the MAC ids for each client, so I just enter them and assign the static IP for each of them

Sound right?

I don't have a Connection Control checkbox...
                          Attached Files

Comment

That is definitely different. What version of the firmware do you have? I guess I'm using an older version.

Anyway, yes enter the MAC Address and IP for each device you wish to assign. Use an IP address that is outside the range (but inside the subnet) you have set for automated DHCP. It looks like your subnet is 192.168.2 and the range is from 2-40, so assign static IPs to 41 and above.

Comment

thanks again. I was trying to setup IP within the range, so I wouldn't have to change some of my code- but no problem. I just tried to add one at 45, but it said "setup failure" - using one within the range seems ok. I am just waiting for a convenient time to reboot everything to test!

Thanks for the help.
                              Last edited by JeffCharger; January 10, 2005, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X