Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z-wave neophyte, wondering if I'm doin' it wrong re: events, scenes, associations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-wave neophyte, wondering if I'm doin' it wrong re: events, scenes, associations

Hey all. Getting up to speed on my newish HS4 install, which includes a collection of stuff originally set up by our home automation guy. Bringing it all in-house, which means learning curve for me, but I've hit what is possibly a conceptual snag and I thought I'd throw myself at the mercy of the crowd.

We have a large room with eight RGBW bulbs in it, the Inovelli z-wave ones. Also there's an Inovelli Red dimmer switch intended to control them. We have them set up where the switch's load is always on and we're intending just to use the switch solely as a z-wave controller. Our initial test-the-waters plan was to have a "daylight" config, all lights cool white; a "candlelight" config, all lights warm white, and a "theater light" config, where most lights are off and two in the rear are at like 5%. So far I have the candlelight and theater configs set up and mostly working but I feel like I'm having to work too hard to make this fairly simple test config happen.

My current implementation has a tangle of nested events set up that get called when the switch gets tapped on, tapped off, or double-tapped on. So for instance, when I single-tap "on" I want the candlelight config, so I need the bulbs to (a) turn on, (b) set themselves to zero cool white and (c) 100% warm white. I have this implemented as a sequence of three events, each with eight actions, one for each bulb, for a total of 24 actions taking place just to turn on the lights. And as we might imagine, it takes a few seconds to go through all of that and the lights kinda cycle into the right config in an unsynchronized manner. So clearly I'm doing this the hard way, right?

My impression is that I should actually be able to do this with z-wave associations, so tapping the switch (as well as working the dimmer) just talks to the bulbs and makes the right thing happen, directly and quickly. But (a) it looks like I can only associate five bulbs with the switch? I haven't found any discussion of larger association groups anywhere, and (b) when I try to make the z-wave association in HomeSeer, the only entry available for the bulb in the association target pulldown ends up associating the switch with the cool white channel instead of the overall on/off channel. So while I feel like this is the simplest and most direct path to victory, I'm stumped in two ways.

And there's the notion of z-wave scenes, but I have read several places that this is a sorta deprecated concept, with events being the new hotness, so I haven't looked into that deeply yet.

So I guess my questions are:
    * Am I misunderstanding associations somehow? Should this be able to be made to work with eight bulbs?
    * Ae events really this fiddly and slow? I've seen people say that z-wave isn't super fast, but I feel like it's necessary to twiddle at least two or three commands, on each bulb, in order to get them into a deterministic state in response to an event. Do I really need 24 actions to turn on eight bulbs? (Aside: I've been tinkering with conditions for the events, checking if one of the bulbs is on before telling all eight to turn on, and that's helped the timing some but it still feels like a -lot- going on just to turn on the lights.)
    * Or have I lead myself astray and I should be looking at z-wave scenes for this use case?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give me. I'm pretty sure I'm thinking about this wrong, at least some of it.

I use the SceneMaster App. It works incredibly well. I then have 1 event per action per device that calls that scene. So:

IF event is manually triggered

OR IF switch Root Central Scene had its value set to Scene 002 pressed 3 times

THEN Set Devices SCENE MASTER TV lighting to On

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well,
      Looking in, it seems you are indeed up to the task (started with Z-wave..). That said, you doing fine so far but to get a good grip on Z-wave there in more about it before you even start automating it here : https://www.vesternet.com/pages/z-wa...s-associations and here : https://www.vesternet.com/pages/unde...-nodes-devices

And for the lazy guys like me, read about and try out this plug-in SceneMaster : https://shop.homeseer.com/products/c...lug-in-for-hs3 (Yes it works with HS4 as well)

Eman.

TinkerLand : Life's Choices,"No One Size Fits All"

Comment

Originally posted by Theron View Post
        I use the SceneMaster App. It works incredibly well. I then have 1 event per action per device that calls that scene. So:

IF event is manually triggered

OR IF switch Root Central Scene had its value set to Scene 002 pressed 3 times

THEN Set Devices SCENE MASTER TV lighting to On

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done you! You got there first!

Eman.

Comment

Wow, a plugin with a users guide like it was written by a real software developer! I haven't seen this kind of detailed documentation since my mainframe days where we had to write an entire book for our products. I may just get this to make my Z-Wave and Insteon scenes much easier to manage.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
            Wow, a plugin with a users guide like it was written by a real software developer! I haven't seen this kind of detailed documentation since my mainframe days where we had to write an entire book for our products. I may just get this to make my Z-Wave and Insteon scenes much easier to manage.

Thanks!
            Speaking of which...

Unrelated this one is 540 Pages : http://mcssprinklers.com/mcsMQTT.pdf

Eman.

Comment

Theron: thanks for the pointer to Scenemaster, that looks very interesting indeed.

Eman: also thanks for Scenemaster, and for the links to those z-wave docs. I'd read them before, but had learned a lot in the meantime, so reviewing them was enlightening and helpful.

One thing that finally clicked a little bit is that the association groups, at least with these devices and the HomeSeer UI, are predefined, ie, the switch already has "group 4" which you put bulbs into to make them respond to the dimmer controls, which makes more sense. I'd been thinking I was supposed to aggregate devices into user-defined groups then associate the group with the controller, and couldn't find UI to do that.

I still can only associate/group-add the Cold White channel of the bulb to the group/switch, though, when I'd expect it to be the overall multilevel switch channel of the bulb. This is probably an Inovelli question at this point, not HomeSeer.

Still needing to test out whether I'm correct that there is a five-device limit in the group, in which case this isn't going to work with associations at all unless there's further magic I don't know about.

Anyway, thanks for the pointers, y'all, I have some direction forward now!

Comment

Working...
              X