Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Friday Question: Alexa or Google ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Friday Question: Alexa or Google ?

Quick question: Which one is working best with HS4 in late 2021 ?

I may have to get the pry bar out to open my wallet
    Win 11 Pro | HS4 Pro | Z wave plug in with UZB1 | BLUSBUIRT 2.0.11.0 | RFXtrx433 | Blue Iris CCTV | VU+ 4k with motorised dish | Emby | Hi-Phone HS2 | ESP32 with WLED |

I've not had a single issue with Alexa in over two years. I only control lighting, ceiling fans, and a few events but they work well for voice control of devices.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I am also using Alexa throughout the house to control lights, ceiling fans and sequences that do multiple things with one command. I also have a couple of Fire tablets mounted on the wall. It works all fine. The only thing I don't quite like is that you have to use your phone to create scenes. You can't do it on the computer.

Comment

I have not had an issue with my Google devices, but admittedly Voice is not used much around our house. I would say to look at the other capabilities and decide which of the two is the lesser evil to you and really think about what your use case would be.

If you use an Android phone, you can use the Assistant on it as well as the Google/Nest Home units. I honestly use this feature from my phone more than I use voice in the house. Primarily for opening the garage door, when working outside, but also to control exterior lights which are not on motion sensor and are in their off time cycle. This may be available n an iPhone as well.

I believe you can do something similar with the Alexa app. If that is the case, install both and see which works best for you?
        Karl S
        HS4Pro on Windows 10
        1070 Devices
        56 Z-Wave Nodes
        104 Events
        HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 iOS
        Google Home: 3 Mini units, 1 Pair Audios, 2 Displays

Comment

IMO, it's a toss-up, and the Alexa vs. Google Assistant decision should be based more on what else you own and what other things you'd like to do with those two ecosystems. I have both, but I'm more of a Google ecosystem user in general.

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
            I am also using Alexa throughout the house to control lights, ceiling fans and sequences that do multiple things with one command. I also have a couple of Fire tablets mounted on the wall. It works all fine. The only thing I don't quite like is that you have to use your phone to create scenes. You can't do it on the computer.
            Same here, several Echos and 5 Fire HDs. Control TStat, lights, fans, outlets, and even the HSTouch screens on the Fire tablets via Alexa voice commands.

Have not had any real issues in 2 years or so.

True that Alexa scenes cannot be created/edited on a PC, but HS3/4 events can, and the HS events can then be called via Alexa routines.

Comment

I also have been using Alexa without any problems. Also use node-red with HS4 for TTS announcements. I have Ring cameras and doorbell outside, which Alexa can use to start routines and flip virtual switches on HS4 to start events. I can't compare to google as I have none of their devices (except my phone)

Comment

Originally posted by Kevb View Post
                I also have been using Alexa without any problems. Also use node-red with HS4 for TTS announcements. I have Ring cameras and doorbell outside, which Alexa can use to start routines and flip virtual switches on HS4 to start events. I can't compare to google as I have none of their devices (except my phone)
                I started using node-red mostly for doing Alexa announcement. There is a plugin from Jon00 called VoiceMonkey. Supposedly that can do such announcement. I am going to give this a try.

Comment

Voice Monkey working great for me for TTS announcements to Alexa devices
                  tenholde

Comment

Alexa seems to get integrations first. +1 from me.

Comment

GH works well for me. There were problems in the early days of HS/GH integration but most are taken care of now. Still some wrinkles here and there but nothing major.
                      Home Automation aside GH is superior in the overall search by voice. I don't have Alexa, but when I compare GH to Apple's Siri it is day and night difference. GH is much more powerful.

Comment

As others have said, it really depends on which ecosystem you want to work with. I have both and Google is ahead when it comes to using it as a general voice assistant. Amazon is still ahead of the game for Home Automation integration in general and I would say it was more reliable with Homeseer's integration. If you want to use it for TTS for House announcements etc then Google has it with local casting and near instant output (Chromecast plugin). Methods for TTS are available using Alexa but this has to use the cloud causing delays in the speech output. Not applicable to you (living in the UK) but for US users, Alexa also has 2 Homeseer plugins (rather than 1 for Google) which provide additional functionality. Which do I use mainly for Homeseer? Alexa!
                        Jon

Comment

Thanks to all of you. Alexa it was, with Jon00's voicemonkey plug in for the occassional TTS. The Alexa speakers behave very nicely with my Bosch gas boiler and individual room zoned heating too.

"Alexa, what are tonights lottery numbers ?"
                          Win 11 Pro | HS4 Pro | Z wave plug in with UZB1 | BLUSBUIRT 2.0.11.0 | RFXtrx433 | Blue Iris CCTV | VU+ 4k with motorised dish | Emby | Hi-Phone HS2 | ESP32 with WLED |

Comment

late to the party.. Google home exclusive here..does what we need woulf love to integrate alexa at some point...
                            HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Working...
                            X