Monitoring pool pump operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
    I have a variable speed pump and I display what speed it is running at on my tablet. All you need is to monitor the current wattage using something like this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot1.png
Views:	43
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1509831

What device is that? Does it handle two 120V legs? I'd like to look into it. Thanks.
    -Wade

Comment

When I got my Pentair 3-speed variable pump installed, I thought I had to control the speed individually after power was applied. So I created an Arduino project with 3 relays which I could wire into the pump through the external connector port. However, as I actually turn off the power via an Elk panel by way of X-10 - yes, , I discoverered that the pump will run at the last speed set via the panel. So I never implemented the Arduino solution. I do have a Z-Wave Aeon Labs Multilevel Sensor which is attached to my panel feeding the pool shed panel and with that, I know when the pump is running. If I used all 3 speeds of the pump, I could define at what speed it is running based on load. But, I really don't care as I just run it at one speed for 14 hours during the day.
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

It's the Heavy duty Z-Wave switch for indoors & outdoors (aeotec.com)

It has 2 legs. I used one for the pump and the other is unused since it was used on a booster pump that I no longer use...
        HS4Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi4
        79 Z-Wave Nodes, 131 Events, 383 Devices
        Z-Wave, UPB, WiFi
        Plugins: EasyTrigger, weatherXML, OMNI, Z-Wave, Tuya, Device History
        HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

I like this device and probably should get a bit more current tech with my pool control solution. Too bad there isn't local control with this... I suppose I could use a couple of battery powered switches and listen for the event. Hmm... thinking.
          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
            I like this device and probably should get a bit more current tech with my pool control solution. Too bad there isn't local control with this... I suppose I could use a couple of battery powered switches and listen for the event. Hmm... thinking.
            looks like there is local control. From the manual: "Action button: Used for Heavy Duty Smart Switch Z-Wave network inclusion and exclusion and to manually turn on or off."
            Might get one for the HW heater.

Comment

Yep, there is local control under the cover. I drilled a hole in my cover for easy access.
              HS4Pro Running on a Raspberry Pi4
              79 Z-Wave Nodes, 131 Events, 383 Devices
              Z-Wave, UPB, WiFi
              Plugins: EasyTrigger, weatherXML, OMNI, Z-Wave, Tuya, Device History
              HSTouch Clients: 3 Android, 1 Joggler

Comment

Ooooh... Nice! Yeah, after looking further into this, I see the button in user guide. Just not sure about the 2 loads. My pump runs on 240 while my heater runs on 120 (gas). Can I do both with this?

Comment

Working...
                X