Monitoring pool pump operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitoring pool pump operation

I'm controlling our 240V Hayward THP VS pool pump with HS4 via external relays--Sonoff 4CH Pro. I don't have a dedicated pool automation system (e.g. Hayward Omni), and I want to monitor/verify pump operation beyond HS4's assumption of relay status. As far as I've been able to determine, there's no way to intercept Hayward's digital control input/output at the pump control panel.

With my limited experience and knowledge the simplest is probably multiple adjustable current switches calibrated to the 3 speeds I'm using (not sure yet if would need them on both 120V legs?). A node MCU or other tasmota device to monitor the switches and report to HS4 via mqtt. But I would guess variable current monitoring is possible using a current transducer, right? Anyone know of sample project instructions doing it--preferably with tasmota as I'm relatively familiar with it? My googling hasn't turned up what I'm looking for.

Am I missing any other low-cost options or reasonably priced pre-baked solutions? Upgrading to a full-blown pool controller with a HS plugin is way overkill and more than I care to spend.

Thanks.
    -Wade

Originally posted by Wade View Post
    I want to monitor/verify pump operation beyond HS4's assumption of relay status..

Thanks.
    What exactly do you want to monitor?

Comment

what about a power monitoring solution to see if power is pulling?
      HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by avpman View Post

What exactly do you want to monitor?
        First priority is just to prove operation. I.e., is it pulling current. Second is to verify speed which I can know by how much current is being pulled.
        -Wade

Comment

Hi Wade ,

I monitor all my 240v devices (clothes dryer, water heater, pumps, etc) with PZEM modules and Tasmota.

Works perfectly and you can monitor / trigger events based on wattage, voltage, etc.

I use it on one 120v leg and simply multiply wattage *2
          ​​​​​

Click image for larger version

Name:	104244325-2f14fc80-5430-11eb-8be4-25e25807876a.png
Views:	266
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	1509745
          ​​​
          See here for the how to:
          https://github.com/arendst/Tasmota/i...ment-758272388

My posts are under homeseer666
          ​​​​​​
          Also Since Tasmota can support 3 PZEM on a single controller, I have built triple PZEM units which I installed in my main breaker panel.
          you can just clip the half cores to any appliance lines.

Add InfluxDB-Grafana and you get all the stats and fancy graphs

Name:	Screenshot_20211124-000826_Chrome.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1509746

Name:	Screenshot_20211124-000753_Chrome.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1509747

Let me know if you have questions or need assistance.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post
            what about a power monitoring solution to see if power is pulling?
            If you're meaning a whole-house monitoring system, I would love it but due to the main and subpanel configuration that evolved over the life of my house it will be complicated and expensive. I've heard a little about the "smart" systems that claim to determine usage of individual devices/equipment from a single monitoring point at your main service, but I'm skeptical. For now I'm looking for an economical way to just keep tabs on the pump (and actually my pool vac booster pump too).
            -Wade

Comment

Originally posted by 123qweasd View Post
              Hi Wade ,

I monitor all my 240v devices (clothes dryer, water heater, pumps, etc) with PZEM modules and Tasmota.

Works perfectly and you can monitor / trigger events based on wattage, voltage, etc.

I use it on one 120v leg and simply multiply wattage *2
              ​​​​​

Name:	104244325-2f14fc80-5430-11eb-8be4-25e25807876a.png
Views:	266
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	1509745
              ​​​
              See here for the how to:
              https://github.com/arendst/Tasmota/i...ment-758272388

My posts are under homeseer666
              ​​​​​​
              Also Since Tasmota can support 3 PZEM on a single controller, I have built triple PZEM units which I installed in my main breaker panel.
              you can just clip the half cores to any appliance lines.

Add InfluxDB-Grafana and you get all the stats and fancy graphs

Name:	Screenshot_20211124-000826_Chrome.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1509746

Name:	Screenshot_20211124-000753_Chrome.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1509747

Let me know if you have questions or need assistance.

Cheers.
              This looks great. I'll dig into it in the morning. Thanks!
              -Wade

Comment

Plan/components list below fyi:

​​
                Simple enclosure (style 1-7)
                https://a.aliexpress.com/_ms5fZr0

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKpft6W

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mr58LhG

Triple version
                https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNWWUyW

​​​​https://a.aliexpress.com/_msN5F6m

Comment

If you're meaning a whole-house monitoring system, I would love it but due to the main and subpanel configuration that evolved over the life of my house it will be complicated and expensive. I've heard a little about the "smart" systems that claim to determine usage of individual devices/equipment from a single monitoring point at your main service, but I'm skeptical. For now I'm looking for an economical way to just keep tabs on the pump (and actually my pool vac booster pump too).
                  well partially... I was more thinking like this...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aeotec-Aeon...-/334136661192

I use one now and you could use it like is pointing too or just use homeseer device and set events based on watts used...

live numbers Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211124-032925_Chrome.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1509763

Name:	Screenshot_20211124-032759_Chrome.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1509764

HW - i5 4570T @2.9ghz runs @11w | 8gb ram | 128gb ssd OS - Win10 x64

HS - HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435

Plugins - BLRF 2.0.94.0 | Concord 4 3.1.13.10 | HSBuddy 3.9.605.5 | HSTouch Server 3.0.0.68 | RFXCOM 30.0.0.36 | X10 3.0.0.36 | Z-Wave 3.0.1.190

Hardware - EdgePort/4 DB9 Serial | RFXCOM 433MHz USB Transceiver | Superbus 2000 for Concord 4 | TI103 X-10 Interface | WGL Designs W800 RF | Z-Net Z-Wave Interface

Comment

Originally posted by TeleFragger View Post

well partially... I was more thinking like this...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aeotec-Aeon...-/334136661192

I use one now and you could use it like is pointing too or just use homeseer device and set events based on watts used...

live numbers Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211124-032925_Chrome.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1509763

Name:	Screenshot_20211124-032759_Chrome.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1509764
                    This could definitely work. Simple and reasonably priced. Thanks.
                    -Wade

Comment

I put one of these at my pool pump. I can get energy readings and turn the pump on and off, locally or remotely. It's a quick, uncomplicated solution.
                      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

By the way, pressing the power button also sends z-wave signals to the hub so you can track any manual operation.

Comment

I put one of these at my pool pump. I can get energy readings and turn the pump on and off, locally or remotely. It's a quick, uncomplicated solution.
                        https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

By the way, pressing the power button also sends z-wave signals to the hub so you can track any manual operation.
                        Thanks for the suggestion. My variable speed pump is controlled via 3 sets of contacts connected to 3 external relays (it can also be also controlled at the onboard control panel). So a single on/off switching of main power doesn't help in my case.
                        -Wade

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. My variable speed pump is controlled via 3 sets of contacts connected to 3 external relays (it can also be also controlled at the onboard control panel). So a single on/off switching of main power doesn't help in my case.
                          Yes, but those relays for the pump motors still connect to a single mains supply. Unless you want to control the pump speeds the unit above will give you what you want. Energy readings will determine pump speed. Here is mine, indicating the pump is running. Ampers, watts, or PF would be in relation to the speed of the pump. Good luck with whatever solution you go with.

Name:	pump.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	1509817

Comment

Yes, but those relays for the pump motors still connect to a single mains supply. Unless you want to control the pump speeds the unit above will give you what you want. Energy readings will determine pump speed. Here is mine, indicating the pump is running. Ampers, watts, or PF would be in relation to the speed of the pump. Good luck with whatever solution you go with.

Name:	pump.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	1509817
                            I agree it would do what I want. It just seems the cost and installation overhead may not make sense against other options but I'll definitely consider it as one of my options. Thanks again.
                            -Wade

Comment

I have a variable speed pump and I display what speed it is running at on my tablet. All you need is to monitor the current wattage using something like this:

Name:	screenshot1.png
Views:	287
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1509831

Anytime the wattage updates, I update a virtual device. From there, I can determine High, Medium, Low just from looking at the history and coming up with a range for each.

Then to get fancy, I display the reading using Red, Yellow, Green on the HSTouch tablet so I can tell at a glance where it is currently running. I also put the current wattage in parenthesis.

Name:	screenshot1.png
Views:	219
Size:	318.1 KB
ID:	1509832

HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                              54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                              Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Working...
                              X