Attack on Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Attack on Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941

The attack on Pearl Harbor was a surprise military strike by the Imperial Japanese Navy Air Service upon the United States against the naval base at Pearl Harbor in Honolulu, Territory of Hawaii, just before 08:00, on Sunday, December 7, 1941. The United States was a neutral country at the time; the attack led to its formal entry into World War II the next day. The Japanese military leadership referred to the attack as the Hawaii Operation and Operation AI,[12][13] and as Operation Z during its planning.

Japan intended the attack as a preventive action to prevent the United States Pacific Fleet from interfering with its planned military actions in Southeast Asia against overseas territories of the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, and those of the United States. Over the course of seven hours there were coordinated Japanese attacks on the U.S.-held Philippines, Guam, and Wake Island and on the British Empire in Malaya, Singapore, and Hong Kong.

The attack commenced at 7:48 a.m. Hawaiian Time (18:18 GMT). The base was attacked by 353[17] Imperial Japanese aircraft (including fighters, level and dive bombers, and torpedo bombers) in two waves, launched from six aircraft carriers. Of the eight U.S. Navy battleships present, all were damaged, with four sunk. All but USS Arizona were later raised, and six were returned to service and went on to fight in the war. The Japanese also sank or damaged three cruisers, three destroyers, an anti-aircraft training ship, and one minelayer. A total of 188 U.S. aircraft were destroyed; 2,403 Americans were killed and 1,178 others were wounded. Important base installations such as the power station, dry dock, shipyard, maintenance, and fuel and torpedo storage facilities, as well as the submarine piers and headquarters building (also home of the intelligence section) were not attacked. Japanese losses were light: 29 aircraft and five midget submarines lost, and 64 servicemen killed. Kazuo Sakamaki, the commanding officer of one of the submarines, was captured.

Japan announced declarations of war on the United States and the British Empire later that day (December 8 in Tokyo), but the declarations were not delivered until the following day. The British government declared war on Japan immediately after learning that their territory had also been attacked, while the following day (December 8) the United States Congress declared war on Japan. On December 11, though they had no formal obligation to do so under the Tripartite Pact with Japan, Germany and Italy each declared war on the U.S., which responded with a declaration of war against Germany and Italy. There were numerous historical precedents for the unannounced military action by Japan, but the lack of any formal warning, particularly while peace negotiations were still apparently ongoing, led President Franklin D. Roosevelt to proclaim December 7, 1941, "a date which will live in infamy". Because the attack happened without a declaration of war and without explicit warning, the attack on Pearl Harbor was later judged in the Tokyo Trials to be a war crime.

USS Arizona: The story in Pictures (From 1914 to Present)

During the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941, Arizona was bombed. After a bomb detonated in a powder magazine, the battleship exploded violently and sank, with the loss of 1,177 officers and crewmen. Unlike many of the other ships sunk or damaged that day, Arizona was irreparably damaged by the force of the magazine explosion, though the Navy removed parts of the ship for reuse. The wreck still lies at the bottom of Pearl Harbor and the USS Arizona Memorial, dedicated on 30 May 1962 to all those who died during the attack, straddles the ship's hull.

USS Oklahoma Crew Honored with Interment Ceremony Tuesday December 07, 2021.

The crew of the USS Oklahoma is being honored in an interment ceremony at the USS Oklahoma Memorial on Ford Island, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. The Oklahoma capsized and suffered 429 casualties during the Dec. 7, 1941, attack on Pearl Harbor, second only to the losses of the USS Arizona.

- Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Great reminder of history. It is important to remember history as it actually happened, no matter how right or wrong it may be seen now, so that us and future generations can learn from it

Comment

I think most people know about this but more importantly, how is this related to home automation. If it was something about detecting airplanes from security cameras, start recording, analyze what airplane it might be and send a message to your HSTouch devices, etc that would be a different story...

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post
        I think most people know about this but more importantly, how is this related to home automation. If it was something about detecting airplanes from security cameras, start recording, analyze what airplane it might be and send a message to your HSTouch devices, etc that would be a different story...
        Agreed. The forum IPCAMs to totally overrun with political posting crap. There was a thread there that started about Corona and people not being able to get Chinese cameras and it turned into a nightmare. I hope this one stays on topic.
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
        Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
        weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

As many here know, Pete posts items of historical and/or cultural significance from time to time, typically on the date traditionally set aside for their remembrance. I've found his posts to be thoughtful and informative, and in no way political.

He's usually posted them in Off-topic rather than General Discussion, and while I won't try to speak for Pete, perhaps that was his intention here as well.
          -Wade

Comment

History buff (another addiction) here.....apolitical ....
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Probably not well known south of the border, but this, December 6, is the 104th anniversary of the Halifax Explosion in 1917. At the time, it was the largest man made explosion in history. My grandmother told me windows were shattered here, sixty miles away from Halifax.

The city of Boston, Mass was quick to send medical aid and relief. That gesture is celebrated to this day by Nova Scotia by donating their annual Christmas tree to Boston.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion

https://novascotia.ca/treeforboston/
              Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Originally posted by Wadenut View Post
                Probably not well known south of the border, but this, December 6, is the 104th anniversary of the Halifax Explosion in 1917. At the time, it was the largest man made explosion in history. My grandmother told me windows were shattered here, sixty miles away from Halifax.

The city of Boston, Mass was quick to send medical aid and relief. That gesture is celebrated to this day by Nova Scotia by donating their annual Christmas tree to Boston.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion

https://novascotia.ca/treeforboston/
                That tree is set up in front of the Prudential Building every year.... We take visitors there and tell them this story. Seems only people from Boston and Halifax know this story.

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

Originally posted by Wade View Post
                  As many here know, Pete posts items of historical and/or cultural significance from time to time, typically on the date traditionally set aside for their remembrance. I've found his posts to be thoughtful and informative, and in no way political.

He's usually posted them in Off-topic rather than General Discussion, and while I won't try to speak for Pete, perhaps that was his intention here as well.
                  While I definitely know of his contributions I didn't know he posts such off-topic things sometimes. At the same time, I want to make it clear that I never considered this as anything political, just totally off-topic.

Comment

As someone whose birthday is on Dec 7, I approve of this post and all of Pete's posts
                    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Happy Birthday Rob!!!!

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                        Happy Birthday Rob!!!!
                        Thanks my friend!
                        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by mulu View Post

While I definitely know of his contributions I didn't know he posts such off-topic things sometimes. At the same time, I want to make it clear that I never considered this as anything political, just totally off-topic.
                          Oh, I don't think it has gone that way yet... Things tend to spiral that way these days.

I imagine we have some Homeseer users in Japan and I don't think reminding them of this would be helpful.

Anyways, since Homeseer is a New England based company: I think we can agree the New England Patriots are the best football franchise in NFL history.

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
                            ...I imagine we have some Homeseer users in Japan and I don't think reminding them of this would be helpful..
                            I can't imagine that any of them were involved with any of the decisions to attack us, so why would they be bothered by the mention of it? I was not involved in any of the bad things the US has done in the past. I am not at all offended by hearing about any of them. Surely, we don't need to hide from history?

Comment

Originally posted by joegr View Post

I can't imagine that any of them were involved with any of the decisions to attack us, so why would they be bothered by the mention of it? I was not involved in any of the bad things the US has done in the past. I am not at all offended by hearing about any of them. Surely, we don't need to hide from history?
                              Their view of history might be different.

I am not suggesting we hide from history. I am just saying this isn't the place.

Plug-Ins Enabled:

Comment

Working...
                              X